PDA

View Full Version : Tow rigs and MPG

ninedriver
08-04-2016, 08:54 AM
Just wanted to get an idea of what tow rigs everyone are using and what kind of mpgs you're getting. I'm thinking about "investing" in a diesel as my gas burner gets such poor mpg and as a result a limited range between fill ups. Any other tow rig pro's/cons are welcome as well. Discuss...

smorris7
08-04-2016, 09:26 AM
2016 Ram 3500 dually 12.5 to 13.5 towing. 16 to 18 highway. Still stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmandley
08-04-2016, 09:32 AM
14 Ram Cummins long bed 4x4
20 in the city
12.5-13.5 towing, I have the upgraded 5 link rear suspension with full air ride, it's a dream to pull with.

Caution on lift kits, leveling kits, larger then 34 tires. These all reduce your mpg.

All diesels have do and don't, watch out for items but as long as you keep them stock no real big issues.

bluice311
08-04-2016, 09:41 AM
2015 F250 FX4 (6.7L Diesel) I get 13.8MPG with 75% city driving. I came from a 2008 Tundra Limited (5.7L Gas) that got 12.8MPG. I mainly switched to the diesel for more towing capability, so easy to merge onto interstate and with the exhaust brake/tow mode you don't even feel the boat behind you.

Pros: better acceleration/stopping power, full size bed, higher payload/towing capacity, "should" last longer and retain value longer
Cons: initial "investment", physical size (too tall/long for most house and parking garages), and more service costs (fuel filters, DEF, etc).

onoitslolo
08-04-2016, 11:37 AM
I trade trucks like some of you do with boats, but I must say that I am a diesel fan. I had an 06 cummins that got around 23 mpg, and about 17 towing w/ 35's, had a 6.6 duramax that got 21mpg empty and about 15 towing, a 7.3 dually that got 16mpg empty, and about 13 towing. these were all 4x4 and none were stock except the 7.3. I am currently driving a 93 Silverado w/ a 350 that gets 12mpg regardless if it is empty or pulling the boat. But I will say that driving a diesel is a dream. It the difference in wakeboarding behind a v-drive vs an outboard. The cost is higher, but the reward is o so sweet. And you get the black smoke, and everyone likes that haha

Broke Pilot
08-04-2016, 12:18 PM
I got out of the diesel world, emissions crap was just too much for me when the EPA cracked down on tuners and delete kits there for a while.
2015 Ram 2500 megacab 4wd 6.4L Hemi with a 2.5" level and 35/12.5/20 ExoGrapplers. Gets around 11.5 towing the boat, 14 unloaded.

yearround
08-04-2016, 12:22 PM
I have a 13 ram 1500 with hemi whatever it is. I'll turn 100k this week. i get about 17 around town, 20 hwy, unless i'm running out where the limit is 80, then it does drop a bit. much of my driving is high elevation, 7000+, colorado mountains! towing the boat, 08 LSV, it is usually at 10-11 mpg when we make the long trips to far away lake powell etc. local lake is only 3 miles away.

Diesel is great, but i do not think i will ever own one, until i am pulling a big trailer on a regular basis.

that is my $25.

rdlangston13
08-04-2016, 12:43 PM
Pulling with a 2015 Ford Expedition with the 3.5L TT V6 Ecoboost. At 65 mph I get 24 mpg unloaded and 12 mpg pulling the boat. As speed increased from there fuel mileage decreases dramatically. 70 mph unloade it drops to about 21 mpg, at 75 it goes to about 19.5 mpg, at 80-85 about 17 mpg. Towing at 70 it drops to 10 mpg.

trayson
08-04-2016, 12:59 PM
We chose a gasser. 2013 F150 Ecoboost. Our boat/trailer together weigh 6,250 full of fuel. The truck has a 6" lift and 35's on 20's. So MPG isn't great-- about 8.5 towing over lots of mountain passes (sea level to 4,000 feet with a handful of steep grades over and over with a bed full of camping gear and 22 gallons of gas cans). But, I can do 65+ up the steep passes and not crest 3500 RPM's.

Around town we get in the low teens. We did a run once w/o the trailer that was interesting. Sea level to 5,400' elevation over 75 miles we got 12mpg. 5,400 feet back to sea level over 75 miles we got 16mpg.

Okay, here's the math for our family:
F150 Ecoboost on 35's with 6" lift @ 11mpg mixed for 8,000 miles a year with gas at $2.33/gallon = $1,695 in fuel per year.

Random Diesel at 17mpg mixed for 8,000 miles a year with fuel at $2.53/gallon = $1,191 in fuel per year.

For us, having a gas rig costs us an extra $504 per year.

A buddy of mine just bought a new (used) truck and told me that it was going to cost him $10k more to get a diesel. With our driving habits, that's 20 years until we break even. Even if the Diesel was only $5k more that's still a 10 year payback period. Doesn't make sense for us.

Admittedly, I've never towed with a diesel, but when my Ecoboost allows me to keep up with or pass any other tow rig (and many rigs not towing) on the mountain passes, what do I really have to complain about performance wise?

That's my 2 cents.

mcdye
08-04-2016, 02:32 PM
2016 GMC QCab All-Terrain 6.2. Avg 20-22 city/highway combo. Towing 70mph ~ 13

trayson
08-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Just wanted to get an idea of what tow rigs everyone are using and what kind of mpgs you're getting. I'm thinking about "investing" in a diesel as my gas burner gets such poor mpg and as a result a limited range between fill ups. Any other tow rig pro's/cons are welcome as well. Discuss...

Oh, I guess it's worthwhile to note that as far as range goes, our F150 Ecoboost has the 36 gallon fuel tank. on our last trip towing, we drove 3 hours (~140 miles) straight and still had half a tank of gas left. I don't know if I'd have wanted to have driven 5 to 6 hours w/o a bathroom break (longer if we wouldn't have been towing).

KG's Supra24
08-04-2016, 04:27 PM
Duramax deleted with 230k miles. 17 around town. 13-14 towing.

I can't imagine going back to gas, especially as nice as the new trucks are.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

viking
08-04-2016, 04:59 PM
07 Classic LBZ Duramax w/EFI Live and a few other mods, Lifted on 35's.
17-20mpg all day long empty depending on how you drive. 13mpg basically pulling anything you want behind it.
I will never own a gas rig again. That's true for $4/gal diesel and especially now at todays prices.
It really depends on what your uses and needs are as to what fits. For our family we need a 4x4 and 4 doors and pull alot of trailers and toys around. It's a no contest............

Pound
08-04-2016, 05:08 PM
'13 Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4 cummins.
12-13mpg towing boat or tractor/lowboy, or a little less when towing our camper
20+ on open hwy
17-18'ish avg commute/city depending on how dense the traffic gets.

newbie1993
08-04-2016, 09:57 PM
I have 2 08 f 250/350s with the 6.4 both deleted, studied and tuned
f250 fx4 lifted 6 inches on 37s (wife's, my truck when i was single lol)
150 hp tow tune
strait pipe
intake
towing gets 14
when wife drives it to work about 16

my work truck
08 350 long bed
with a redding work body truck and empty dump trailer weighs about 14500 says the scales at the dump
150 hp tow tune
strait pipe
intake
driving around 50/50 city/hwy 17
towing boat/ loaded trailer 13-14 depending on if I'm heading north or south

yooper
08-05-2016, 10:53 AM
I might be opening a can of worms here..... Big truck people seem to get all irritated at this, but I tow a 2013 Mojo with a 2016 Volkswagen Touareg TDI. It has a 3.0 V6.

I get about 31 mpg on a highway trip at 65ish mpg. Day to day mixed driving around town, back and forth to work, etc, I get around 25.

While towing, my mileage drops to around 18.

parrothd
08-05-2016, 11:18 AM
If your really towing that much too worry about mpg cost then you should stop towing and get a slip or store your boat at the lake.

Best thing I ever did, no more towing stress, dealing with boat launch idiots, most of all, arguments with the girl friend..:cool:

We still tow for a yearly family trip, 14 hours round trip, but having the boat at the lake is way more convenient.

mmandley
08-05-2016, 12:03 PM
I might be opening a can of worms here..... Big truck people seem to get all irritated at this, but I tow a 2013 Mojo with a 2016 Volkswagen Touareg TDI. It has a 3.0 V6.

I get about 31 mpg on a highway trip at 65ish mpg. Day to day mixed driving around town, back and forth to work, etc, I get around 25.

While towing, my mileage drops to around 18.

I don't get irritated when people tow big boats with smaller vehicles.

I get irritated when people think just because they can pull a big boat with their vehicle it's acceptable to tow with it.

I suggest you block out your trailer brakes in the trailer, then tow it and see how you do stopping it.

For me that's the real test, your trailer brakes might fail at some point and if you can't stop it in a safe manor then your not towing safely.

As with Parrothd I love having the boat in a slip, just waiting on my lift to arrive and be installed. I enjoy every night going down to the dock and enjoying the water, cruising out for a quick trip and ask I have to do is untie the boat and go.

deerfield
08-05-2016, 12:15 PM
... just waiting on my lift to arrive and be installed.

You are going to love this addition. Trust me.

viking
08-05-2016, 01:26 PM
If your really towing that much too worry about mpg cost then you should stop towing and get a slip or store your boat at the lake.

Some of us don't have that luxury :(

yooper
08-05-2016, 01:28 PM
I don't get irritated when people tow big boats with smaller vehicles.

I get irritated when people think just because they can pull a big boat with their vehicle it's acceptable to tow with it.

I suggest you block out your trailer brakes in the trailer, then tow it and see how you do stopping it.

For me that's the real test, your trailer brakes might fail at some point and if you can't stop it in a safe manor then your not towing safely.

As with Parrothd I love having the boat in a slip, just waiting on my lift to arrive and be installed. I enjoy every night going down to the dock and enjoying the water, cruising out for a quick trip and ask I have to do is untie the boat and go.

I've actually tried that. Braking is actually where Touaregs/Cayennes really stand out.

Touaregs weigh the same as an F150, have more torque and better brakes.

I always get irritated when people think that unless a vehicle is pickup truck shaped, the owner is somehow being irresponsible.

kaneboats
08-05-2016, 01:46 PM
I've always thought a pickup truck was the most useless vehicle ever foisted onto the public. Most of them are not big enough to haul anything more than a few garbage cans. They have no weight over the drive wheels. Don't get me started. Every useful one I've seen was a longbed and/or has racks mounted on it for carrying ladders, etc. Around here, every pickup you see is pulling a little utility trailer because they can't get anything in the pickup itself.

Mwcraz
08-05-2016, 02:04 PM
Not too get too far off the mileage topic but most trucks are full framed with solid rear axles. Both do have advantages when loaded. Although air bags do help independent rear suspensions. I have a Tundra which tows great but horrible on gas. It also only has a 26 gallon fuel tank which is crazy!!!

sivs1
08-05-2016, 02:44 PM
if you are concerned about MPG's while towing your boat you shouldn't own a boat. MPG's are good and all, but I get 4 going the 6 miles from my house to the lake.

moombadaze
08-05-2016, 02:48 PM
2011 ram 1500 hemi. LSV being towed in Florida, Georgia, Alabama --hilly terrain-- average of about 10.5 mpg. Plenty of power, can pass most cars going up the hills.

zabooda
08-05-2016, 02:55 PM
I have been always impressed with the Touaregs/Cayennes and their tow capacity and sharp looking vehicles. I have a 2014 F-150 with the V-8 and it tows the boat and an enclosed trailer very well. I briefly looked at the Eco-Boost but it is hard for me to fathom paying more for a six banger than a V-8. Fuel costs are nothing compared to reliability and avoiding the $100/hour service costs.

ninedriver
08-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the replies and real world data. It seems like window sticker and magazine numbers aren't worth the paper they're printed on. I currently drive a 2012 Silverado with the 6.2 motor with 403 hp and 417 ft/lb of torque. Awesome power and performance...dismal gas mileage and range. Towing my boat or 23' travel trailer at 70 mph (I realize this speed affects mpg) I get 7.5-8.5 mpg. And based on that I get about a 3 hr range/endurance. The nice lakes and camp grounds are about 3 1/2 hours from me :mad:
Plus, it's recommend to use premium gas especially while towing. And, premium runs about $2.40/gallon where diesel is about $2.00/gal. I know that some have mentioned the upfront higher cost of a diesel and how long it would take to recoup the fuel savings, but one more variable is the resale value is also higher. You may not recover all the initial difference but I'm thinking it'll be a high percentage.
Those diesel numbers look good and I'm thinking that's the way to go. A few years ago when diesel was north of $4.00/gallon I shyed away. Any more data is appreciated but it's looking like the diesel mpg while towing seem consistently on the 12-13mpg range.

zabooda
08-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Looks like you got your decision made. It's amazing the variables that go into a decision like that. I've seen it appear occasionally on this forum with boat comparisons and the bottom line is what meets your needs. Boats and trucks are made to sell to the masses so what works well for one person may not be a priority for another person.

trayson
08-05-2016, 06:30 PM
if you are concerned about MPG's while towing your boat you shouldn't own a boat. MPG's are good and all, but I get 4 going the 6 miles from my house to the lake.

For 6 mile distances, most wouldn't blink. But when we make a couple trips that are 300+ miles we at least pay attention to the truck gas, because on a trip like that it actually rivals the boat gas consumption.

Thanks for the replies and real world data. It seems like window sticker and magazine numbers aren't worth the paper they're printed on. I currently drive a 2012 Silverado with the 6.2 motor with 403 hp and 417 ft/lb of torque. Awesome power and performance...dismal gas mileage and range. Towing my boat or 23' travel trailer at 70 mph (I realize this speed affects mpg) I get 7.5-8.5 mpg. And based on that I get about a 3 hr range/endurance. The nice lakes and camp grounds are about 3 1/2 hours from me :mad:
Plus, it's recommend to use premium gas especially while towing. And, premium runs about $2.40/gallon where diesel is about $2.00/gal. I know that some have mentioned the upfront higher cost of a diesel and how long it would take to recoup the fuel savings, but one more variable is the resale value is also higher. You may not recover all the initial difference but I'm thinking it'll be a high percentage.
Those diesel numbers look good and I'm thinking that's the way to go. A few years ago when diesel was north of $4.00/gallon I shyed away. Any more data is appreciated but it's looking like the diesel mpg while towing seem consistently on the 12-13mpg range.

Your diesel is cheaper than your gas????? Our Diesel over here in WA is $0.20 more than our 87 gas. Of course, you should be thankful as either of yours are about $0.50 cheaper than ours per gallon.

mmandley
08-05-2016, 06:36 PM
I've actually tried that. Braking is actually where Touaregs/Cayennes really stand out.

I always get irritated when people think that unless a vehicle is pickup truck shaped, the owner is somehow being irresponsible.

I can respect that, I only worry about those who can't control what they haul, not that they can haul it lol

That Guy
08-05-2016, 10:45 PM
We regularly make a 340 mile trip one way to the lake for long weekends. I have a 2014 f150 with the 5.0 and boat weighs around 6500 loaded up. I average 73-77mph and get 10-11mpg. I have a 36gallon tank and usually get there with my low fuel light on and dash says 20-25 miles to empty. When I used to drive slower, like 70-75mph I'd get a mpg better or so but I've never gotten below 10mph with the boat and truck loaded and me cruising through the Kentucky and Tennessee mountains. Truck has plenty of power but does like the rpms on big long hills, like 3rd gear and 3500rpms for 30-60 seconds but it sounds great doing it! :). I use cruise most of the time but during long sections of up and downs I'll modulate the throttle allowing me to speed up to 80-82 down hills and slow up to 68-70 up hills as I feel this works better for me.

sivs1
08-05-2016, 11:13 PM
For 6 mile distances, most wouldn't blink. But when we make a couple trips that are 300+ miles we at least pay attention to the truck gas, because on a trip like that it actually rivals the boat gas consumption.

I have not yet taken the SA on any long trips. The last two summers I took the LSV 360 miles one way, last year was with the Hemi and averaged 10-11. the year before did same trip with a Diesel and averaged 10-11, same boat, same roads, same mpg.

BrettLee3232
08-06-2016, 02:14 AM
14 ram 1500 V6 (like a boss)

It's my daily driver/work truck/towrig

Highway = 20-22
City = 18-20
Towing = 13-15

I try not to ever drive over 10mph over the speed limit.

Been very happy with the mpg's. Was thinking about upgrading to a 2500 mega cab or 1500 ecodiesel.

Not sure if it's worth the investment though. My truck tows great though. Longest tow has only been (3) 3.5hr tows but made it with plenty of fuel left. Usually only tow between 2-8miles though.

I just wish when I bought it I knew the difference between a crew cab & quad cab when I bought it lol. My back seat sucks!!!! Especially with a car seat!

beat taco
08-06-2016, 05:24 AM
My eco is at 9.5 I only run premium

mmandley
08-06-2016, 08:17 AM
My eco is at 9.5 I only run premium

I thought the Eco Boost only uses premium? I'm pretty sure the owners manual and the dash say premium only lol

Wax
08-06-2016, 08:24 AM

Amen. People get hard ons over their trucks way too much, there's plenty of acceptable tow vehicles for a boat other than a truck. I drive a 2014 ram 1500 daily, but it's because we also have a 7500lb travel trailer that has to get pulled and it's way cheaper than a truck frame suv (although that's my next vehicle). I just pulled our boat up north MI yesterday in very hilly terrain with my wife's 2010 Traverse awd with tow pkg, no issues at all. It shows 9.8mpg for the trip. The traverse is much roomier for the kids and I don't see any issues controlling the load, although I've been towing larger heavier trailers since age 16 and do feel I'm more experienced than the average weekend boat hauler.

rdlangston13
08-06-2016, 09:19 AM
I thought the Eco Boost only uses premium? I'm pretty sure the owners manual and the dash say premium only lol

Negative, ours says 87 octane. Having to use premium would completely negate ant marketing related to saving money since the ecoboost doesnt really get any better fuel economy than any other new v8 trucks and premium costs $.70 more a gallon or so.

russellsmojo
08-06-2016, 09:31 AM
I put the cheap Kroger fuel in my 2015 Tahoe. The magnetic ride control is a big deal when towing. Levels out the load and it pulls really good. 21mpg unloaded and 11 loaded coming back from jam running in the 70's. Now to be honest, I would prefer a truck for mirrors, big back window, and truck bed space because it would have a locking cover.

mmandley
08-06-2016, 09:31 AM
Negative, ours says 87 octane. Having to use premium would completely negate ant marketing related to saving money since the ecoboost doesnt really get any better fuel economy than any other new v8 trucks and premium costs $.70 more a gallon or so.

This is what was triggering my memory on the Premium Fuel. Its recommended when towing.

This is a clip from the owners manual.

3.5L V6 EcoBoost engine
“Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is
recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an
octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with
octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Premium fuel will provide
improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such
as trailer tow

beat taco
08-06-2016, 05:00 PM
I only tow with it and have 8k miles now so I'll take the extra 20hp and 10tq ford says i get from premium.

icemanftr
08-06-2016, 11:17 PM
Some of us don't have that luxury :(

+1!

icemanftr
08-06-2016, 11:21 PM

Your diesel is cheaper than your gas????? Our Diesel over here in WA is $0.20 more than our 87 gas. Of course, you should be thankful as either of yours are about $0.50 cheaper than ours per gallon.

Another reason I hate WA! Gas tax is horrible! Liquor tax is horrible, well everything is priced way to high... 😡 No reason Diesel should ever be more expensive than regular gasoline!

newbie1993
08-06-2016, 11:25 PM
Another reason I hate WA! Gas tax is horrible! Liquor tax is horrible, well everything is priced way to high... �� No reason Diesel should ever be more expensive than regular gasoline!

i live in monroe georgia (east ATL) and in the last 5 years i have paid less for diesel than gas a grand total of 5ish times and that was when fuel got cheap a few months ago.

icemanftr
08-06-2016, 11:34 PM
i live in monroe georgia (east ATL) and in the last 5 years i have paid less for diesel than gas a grand total of 5ish times and that was when fuel got cheap a few months ago.

Well years ago diesel was as much as a dollar less. Now they price it super high because the ever growing popularity of diesel rigs, no longer just big Semis and 1 ton trucks. Most automakers have diesel cars, etc., and big oil companies are always looking to beat their last quarter profits of billions. Plus WA is one of the highest in the nation on fuel prices. Premium is about 2.89, reg is about 2.59-2.79 if you aren't paying cash. Lol Diesel is 2.79

viking
08-07-2016, 12:15 AM
Diesel is 2.79

This is a whole lot better than over $4/gal a year and 1/2 ago!
It's about $2.40 here right now

rdlangston13
08-07-2016, 04:20 PM
Well years ago diesel was as much as a dollar less. Now they price it super high because the ever growing popularity of diesel rigs, no longer just big Semis and 1 ton trucks. Most automakers have diesel cars, etc., and big oil companies are always looking to beat their last quarter profits of billions. Plus WA is one of the highest in the nation on fuel prices. Premium is about 2.89, reg is about 2.59-2.79 if you aren't paying cash. Lol Diesel is 2.79

Have you even seen the current state of the oil field for the last two years??

trayson
08-07-2016, 04:51 PM
Another reason I hate WA! Gas tax is horrible! Liquor tax is horrible, well everything is priced way to high... 😡 No reason Diesel should ever be more expensive than regular gasoline!

Interesting topic, with the issue with Gas vs Diesel in the USA.

My sister is a Petroleum Geologist and explained it to me once. From every barrel of crude oil, there is so much gasoline and so much diesel that is made during the refining process. 12 gallons of diesel and 19 gallons of gas. It's pretty obvious that in the USA, our heavy transportation relies on Diesel (semi trucks, trains, etc.) and we have a lot of land to cover. So obviously supply and demand comes into place as you said: if more consumers use diesel, then the cost of it will go up from simple supply and demand economics. Likewise, it's one of the big reasons why we don't have diesels flooding our consumer automotive market like they do in europe. I'd LOVE to get some of the Diesel Audi and BMW models that are commonplace over there. But there are some big policymakers that are actually deterring many of those diesels from making it over to the USA so it doesn't further upset that gas/diesel balance.

I'm not saying profits and price manipulation doesn't happen, but the gas vs diesel balance in the refining process is something many aren't aware of.