PDA

View Full Version : Electrical issue no blower or nav lights.

Blueliner
08-03-2016, 09:53 PM
Went to use the boat tonight after dinner, the bilge blower would not seem to run, some of the back lit switches (including the blower..faintly) light up when I press the blower button, the nav lights wont work either despite the fact the back lites are on the switches. I am not sure the bilge is working either. The engine starts and runs fine but I don't want to get into starting it without the blower working. With the engine hatch open I can hear a very faint whine when I switch the blower on and off, like its is barely working. It was getting dark and the bugs came out so I will have to wait till tomorrow to trouble shoot. Boat ran fine earlier during the afternoon. My son got under the dash and said there is a wire with a connector on it dangling but it did not seem to have anywhere to hook up to. Any suggestions?

Thanks Blueliner

Blueliner
08-03-2016, 10:15 PM
I forgot to mention the ballast pump may not be working either now, again was working earlier in the day

Woody929
08-03-2016, 10:26 PM
Check the main breaker by the battery(ies)

Blueliner
08-04-2016, 07:14 AM
Check the main breaker by the battery(ies)

The breaker seems to be working. pressing the little red button kills the circuit pushing up on the black toggle enables it. This is the one on the firewall to the right of the battery

mmandley
08-04-2016, 08:22 AM
Went to use the boat tonight after dinner, the bilge blower would not seem to run, some of the back lit switches (including the blower..faintly) light up when I press the blower button, the nav lights wont work either despite the fact the back lites are on the switches. I am not sure the bilge is working either. The engine starts and runs fine but I don't want to get into starting it without the blower working. With the engine hatch open I can hear a very faint whine when I switch the blower on and off, like its is barely working. It was getting dark and the bugs came out so I will have to wait till tomorrow to trouble shoot. Boat ran fine earlier during the afternoon. My son got under the dash and said there is a wire with a connector on it dangling but it did not seem to have anywhere to hook up to. Any suggestions?

Thanks Blueliner

Sounds like you might have a short, I would start by disconnecting power to each switch with the malfunctioning item and see if you gain power back to the others that way. Power and Ground are daisy chained through all the switches.

Also just to help comfort your concerns, you don't actually need the blower on with your boat, it should be Fuel injected and the actual reason for the blower system was on carb engines you can have a lot of fuel fumes from the carb and with a mis fire, back fire you could start a fire.

Kinda like the boats in your year range had Flame arestorers even though they were fuel injected, not really needed but they stayed as part of the boat to make some people feel more safe.

My 08 LSV had those parts, my 13 Mojo does not, it has the blower fan but honestly I only use it when we are running the boat hard and shut it down for a bit to help remove heat from the engine area.

kaneboats
08-04-2016, 10:36 AM
Mmmmmm. The blower is also a safety device. A carb is not the only potential source of fumes/vapor that may ignite. Any cracked fuel line, loose connection, etc. can lead to a fire. I agree with Mike that if everything is perfect the blower is not necessary but that one time you are wrong can be devastating.

gregski
08-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Ditto above. I had a pinhole leak in one of the fuel lines caused by rubbing against the floor panel. It would noticeably fill the bilge with fuel vapor. If everything on a closed fuel injected system is in perfect working order, then there would be no need for the blower, but how could you ever guarantee that level of perfection?

Blueliner
08-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Thank you for your replies .Turns out the negative accessory terminal was corroded and slightly loose. Due to the replies here and other searches on this forum I know the electrical system a whole lot better checking over things.

I was pretty sure my engine is carbureted, at any rate I always run the blower and sometimes open the hatch when starting up even if only the last start was 30 minutes ago.