PDA

View Full Version : Brake issue.

Kidder522
07-27-2016, 02:26 PM
Hey everyone. I have a brake question. I pulled the boat out of the water today at the lake. Trailer sat in the water maybe 5-7 minutes. Drove it back to the cabin and started backing it it up into its parking spot. On level ground trailer backed up, but one the trailer went up a small incline, brakes engaged and I couldn't back up anymore. Tried it a couple times, but result is the same.

Any thoughts on this issue and how to tackle it? I have 10 more days on holiday and then a 1200 km drive back to Alberta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pound
07-27-2016, 02:41 PM
I had a blown fuse on my 'trailer back-up lights' on my truck that caused the same thing. It's the circuit that electronically disengages the brakes when backing up. Check if you have back-up lights coming on on your trailer when you put your truck in reverse. if they're not coming on, it could be this fuse and also what's causing your brakes not to dis-engage in reverse.
You can also mechanically prevent the brakes from activating w/a small tool that should have come w/your trailer. i think a nickle or maybe a dime will fit in that slot on the tongue and do the same thing. (edit: you obviously only want to do this when backing the trailer up, not when regularly towing). oh, and you might have to put a brick or something in front of the trailer tires and pull forward a bit to pull the tongue forward enough to disengage the brakes to insert a coin/tool in there..

Kidder522
07-27-2016, 02:46 PM
Pound, thanks for the reply. How do you know if your lights come
on the trailer. They are both red tail lights.

mikenehrkorn
07-27-2016, 02:58 PM
If its the back-up lights causing the issue, you can also use the age old trick to switch the connector the opposite direction when connecting to the truck and turn on your lights. If you use this method don't forget to put the connector back on correctly before you leave or you won't have break lights!!

Pound
07-27-2016, 03:05 PM
Kidder, when you put your tow vehicle in reverse you should have white back up lights come on your trailer. If not look to replace that fuse in your truck/SUV.

lee
07-27-2016, 09:14 PM
Have someone stand by the trailer tongue and put the truck into reverse, they should hear the solenoid click on.

Kidder522
07-27-2016, 11:14 PM
My dad and I just checked the harness on the truck. I have power to all the light but when I put the truck in reverse, the light tester did not turn on. We also checked the fuses, nothing we could see, but there were a couple big relay switches that we could not tell if they were blown or not. Heading to get them checked tomorrow.
Thanks for all your replies. Makes it easier when you get feedback from someone that has had this issue. Love this forum and all the knowledge that you have.

Kidder522
07-27-2016, 11:15 PM
My dad and I just checked the harness on the truck. I have power to all the light but when I put the truck in reverse, the light tester did not turn on. We also checked the fuses, nothing we could see, but there were a couple big relay switches that we could not tell if they were blown or not. Heading to get them checked tomorrow.
Thanks for all your replies. Makes it easier when you get feedback from someone that has had this issue. Love this forum and all the knowledge that is on here.

trayson
07-28-2016, 01:31 AM
worst case scenario is that you use the reverse lockout key if you do have to back up any inclines...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41qTIBp1wKL.jpg

Kidder522
07-28-2016, 04:43 PM
Hey Fellas.

Thanks you all your help. Checked it out today at it was a blown 15 amp fuse in the truck. Replaced the fuse and now there is power to all the pins😀. Now, I have to find out why the fuse blown. I'm thinking that there is a bare spot on a wire on the trailer.
Also picked up a key from Action Power Marine in Brandon.

Again, thanks for all your insight.

2007 LSV
2014 F-150 EcoBoost - tow rig