PDA

View Full Version : Docking Scuffs

cobra219
07-18-2006, 10:49 AM
Quick question regarding dock scuffs. What's the best way to get rid of the rubber scuffs on the gel coat from docking? I've seen acetone used on the rud rail, but I don't think it's apropriate for the gel coat.

Also, I've had the new boat for 2 weeks now. It's got 19 hours on it and seems to always have around 2 or so inches of water in the bilge area. The bilge pump can't seem to get this last 2 inches. Is this normal? I know from previous posts that the packing nut is supposed to leak, but I thought that the pump would be able to clear the water. Any thoughts?

Dave

Smrtz
07-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Hi Dave,

In moderation you can use the acetone on the gelcoat. My dealer used it to get rid of the scuffs that I had from driving with the mooring cover on. i questioned him about it he said he used it all the time for stuff like that. does a great job and its quick.. just make sure you rewax the area really well it obviously strips anything right off the area!

One of the things I have done to stop the scuffs from docks is i got rid of the skinny bumpers that I had and now have the bigger round ones. They work so much better!

Good luck

Jay

Yellowmobius
07-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Stay off the docks! (that is the best way to avoid dock scuffs!)

I usually have some H2O left in the bilge area. I keep my boat in a garage and I always have teh engine compartment open when the boat is in the garage that way teh h2o can evaporate.

cobra219
07-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Unfortunately docks are a necessity where we are. The boat stays in a boat house, and half the time in the boat is spent cruising to local towns to shop and sightsee. I might get some larger round bumpers and give them a try.

As for the bilge, the boat is in the water now for the summer and won't be hull dry untill thanksgiving. I might just try a hand pump to get the water out then see what the flow is like.

Dave