PDA

View Full Version : Those with Docks, Slips

mmandley
07-26-2016, 04:50 PM
For a couple questions for those who use slips, docks.

The ole Mojo been in the water about a week, sometimes when I'm at the dock I notice the bilge running.

Question 1, do y'all notice this? I haven't looked to see if I have water leaking but then again I almost think this is normal.

Question 2 my bilge runs for a long time with a weak stream (insert old man joke) how do you take the bilge pump apart to clean it?

parrothd
07-26-2016, 05:06 PM
It's normal, open the hatch and take a look for incoming water, it'll most likely be the packing nut. It'll be dripping or slight trickle of water, it's supposed to.

If the bilge is constantly running like every 10-20 minutes you need to figure out why. There may not be enough water in the bilge for full power, just enough to kick the pump on and it trickles out.

mmandley
07-26-2016, 05:16 PM
It's normal, open the hatch and take a look for incoming water, it'll most likely be the packing nut. It'll be dripping or slight trickle of water, it's supposed to.

If the bilge is constantly running like every 10-20 minutes you need to figure out why. There may not be enough water in the bilge for full power, just enough to kick the pump on and it trickles out.

I'll watch it but I think it's only every few hours if that.
Today I came down and jumped in the water to cool off, climbed in the boat to avoid sand on the beach and I think me shifting the boat back kicked it on.

I've noticed it running more when on the lake this year but when I look I don't see anything specific.

Although the other day after surfing and then draining ballast, the bilge drained and my belt was squeaking like it got wet and the bilge ran a long time which threw up my red warning flags to pay more attention lol

parrothd
07-26-2016, 05:23 PM
It may have crap in the filter/screen, the pump should have little push in side clips that will allow you to remove the pump, that could be making the noise too..

gregski
07-26-2016, 06:48 PM
I've had the bilge pump drain line get "clogged" with stuff that could get through the pump but not out the line. I disconnected the hose from the pump and then connected a garden hose to "blast" it clean. You could probably also "back-flush" the line by holding the garden hose to the hull fitting (still disconnected from the bilge pump). Those bilge pumps deliver good flow but not much pressure.

jzelt
07-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Prob packing nut as mentioned.
Since I trailer, I only check it when leaving it in the water for a week long vacation.
I don't believe it should drip at all while sitting idle.

jstenger
07-27-2016, 06:45 PM
The bilge just snaps into the base. Very easy to pop out by squeezing the side tabs in. You will see the screen and impellar once out.

mmandley
07-27-2016, 10:51 PM
I'll be looking into it

jmvotto
07-28-2016, 01:31 PM
Never had either of mine turn on from just sitting in the water, may have a leak

parrothd
07-28-2016, 01:42 PM
Lol.. mine are on every 20 minutes..

jmvotto
07-29-2016, 08:15 AM
That would worry me :confused:

mmandley
08-02-2016, 08:06 AM
Had a pretty nice storm last night, saw it blow in and as it started sprinkling I headed to the house.

Sky opened up, thunder lightning, high winds, everything I love to see in a storm, nothing I want to see while the boat is in the water and not in the new lift yet.

This AM I looked down at the dock, saw the inside of the bow, not good when I left it covered lol.

Turns out the rain was so hard, and the wind blew so much it filled the back section of the cover with water and that caused it to pull the front of the cover off.

The cover isn't secured like its designed because the boat is tied off to the dock.

So I spent some time cleaning the boat up this AM lol, I also pulled that bilge pump apart and yup, little metal strainer was full of dog hair. IDK how dog hair got in there lol.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Oregon%20to%20Atlanta/20160802_071130_zpsnbb2rmo8.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Oregon%20to%20Atlanta/20160802_071130_zpsnbb2rmo8.jpg.html)

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/Oregon%20to%20Atlanta/20160802_071139_zpss8k5b0pa.jpg (http://s639.photobucket.com/user/mmandley/media/Oregon%20to%20Atlanta/20160802_071139_zpss8k5b0pa.jpg.html)

viking
08-02-2016, 11:43 AM
That's a good reminder for those of us with dogs to check the bilge screen/filter as an annual maintenance item. Glad you got it solved!!

gregski
08-02-2016, 12:10 PM
That's a good reminder for those of us with dogs to check the bilge screen/filter as an annual maintenance item. Glad you got it solved!!
Not just those with dogs... I've always checked the bilge pump in the spring and would recommend others do as well. It's a simple device but a failure could get very bad very quickly in the right (wrong) circumstances.

rdlangston13
08-03-2016, 08:37 AM
My bilge will usually run 1-2 times per day when we are out on the water. I know my ballast bag fittings leak cause the carpet in the lockers by where the bag connections are is always soaked. doesn't leak enough for me to worry. if the boat ever really started filling up I have 5 "bilge pumps" (one dedicated bilge, 3 reversible ballast pumps, one aerator ballast pumps), just have to disconnect from the bags and stick the hoses in the bilge!

trayson
08-03-2016, 11:42 AM
I also pulled that bilge pump apart and yup, little metal strainer was full of dog hair. IDK how dog hair got in there lol.

Dog hair???? what a SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!

jarodag99
08-21-2016, 08:29 PM
I was having a similar issue with a trickle from the bilge and it turns out something had built a nest inside the line as it goes through the hull. Dirt dobber/wasp? Luckily I had a long piece of wire to clean it out as I pulled up to the dock.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk