PDA

View Full Version : 98 Outback - multiple issues

eajessen
07-25-2016, 05:00 PM
Hey guys, hoping for some help here. I picked up my first inboard 98 Outback this year and I am having multiple issues with it.

1. Bogging issue - the boat is a super PIA to start the first time and most likely will need a spray of starting fluid in the carb. Once it idles for 10 plus minutes it is fine minus the exception of when punching the throttle half the time it will die (really annoying for wakeboarding especially with my newbie gf towing me)

2. Somehow the previous owner lost part of the middle window frame that connects to the drive window, I can't seem to find a replace part anywhere and was wondering if anyone has tried to fabricate one or know where to get one..

3. I seem to be taking on water and I don't see any holes on the hull. Anyone have issues with taking on water?

Thanks in advance.

zabooda
07-25-2016, 05:20 PM
3. The shaft packing either needs repacked or the nut needs to be adjusted. You need to remove the engine cowling, the rear sections and then the floor.
2. You will need to have them fabricated as most parts are obsolete. Let me know if you know someone who has an Airguide speedometer they are willing to part with.
1. Sounds like a carb issue. You need someone who knows how to cross reference the old carb number to the newer kits.

The windshield was a weak spot for that year and they tend to spread apart without some re-enforcing screws are used.

eajessen
07-25-2016, 06:21 PM
3. The shaft packing either needs repacked or the nut needs to be adjusted. You need to remove the engine cowling, the rear sections and then the floor.
2. You will need to have them fabricated as most parts are obsolete. Let me know if you know someone who has an Airguide speedometer they are willing to part with.
1. Sounds like a carb issue. You need someone who knows how to cross reference the old carb number to the newer kits.

The windshield was a weak spot for that year and they tend to spread apart without some re-enforcing screws are used.

Thanks for this man, hope to test it out this weekend. So have you heard of the tps being bad? The carb was actually replaced with a rebuilt eldebrock about 50 hours ago. Not to say that is the issue but could be.

Yeah I don't know about the speedo but I'll keep an ear out. My two don't work after the pilots were replaced but I think i need to replace the tubes.