PDA

View Full Version : Lost both keys need help

devito718
07-24-2016, 11:43 PM
Lost both keys in the marina in an accident while putting the cover on please help.
can the boat be hardwired or can I just leave boat and order new keys or just buy ignition
Does anyone have detailed information on how to hotwire and can I hurt the boat

trayson
07-25-2016, 01:30 AM
Yes, you should be able to buy a new ignition switch and put that in. I replaced the ignition switch in my Supra Sunsport and it was a super quick and easy job.

Hotwiring the boat is certainly possible, but with as much as you turn off and on your boat, it'd be a big pain.

I would imagine the ignition switch would have 3 terminals on the back of it. One would be a 12v source power, the other would be the "on" and the last would be the "Start". To hotwire the boat, the easiest way would be to put a fuse between the 12v source and the "on" terminals to connect them so that the boat is powered on (like the key in the on position). then to start the boat, you'd touch the start lead to the 12v source for a second or two.

That said, I think it'd be way easier to get another ignition switch. The marina might have it or you could get one from a lot of different places.

Rakkasan
07-25-2016, 07:49 AM
Call Cyndi at Atlanta marine. My ignition switch went out a couple years and she got a new one to me within the week direct from Skiers Choice. Cost about $45.

Poison
07-25-2016, 10:11 AM
This was a direct replacement for my 2007 XLV:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001449ZHK/

If you can use a screw driver, you can install this switch. The ignition switch and key in these boats is more of a deterrent than an actual lock and key...

zabooda
07-25-2016, 12:17 PM
In a crunch, you can hotwire until you get it replaced or keys made.

nitrodude24
07-25-2016, 02:32 PM
just a thought do you remember the number on your key? if so carry your igintion switch to locksmith and they can cut you keys. if not a simple on off switch that you can flip on ie key to the run position and s momentary push button to start and you will have a keyless igintion system. You can hide the the 2 position or use an existing switch as run/on for security, This is option for convenience now

trayson
07-25-2016, 03:03 PM
This was a direct replacement for my 2007 XLV:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001449ZHK/

If you can use a screw driver, you can install this switch. The ignition switch and key in these boats is more of a deterrent than an actual lock and key...

exactly. that switch is common and any Marine store would have them in stock. I wouldn't order online unless I couldn't get one locally. and even then, Amazon prime would be my choice like you said.

Dandy21
07-25-2016, 09:27 PM
Another thing to try is see if you can find a few others in your marina with similar ignition switches. It sounds like there are not actually that many different keys and you may find a neighbor with a key that works and just get a duplicate of theirs made. Over the past few years I have e read more than one situation where this worked. You could also bring you ignition into a dealer and have them try keys in it.