PDA

View Full Version : Depth Finder not reliable

kgarr1986
07-21-2016, 04:14 PM
I have a 2005 XLV. The issue that I have is that the depth finder does not read most of the time. It will randomly give me a reading, but most of the time it reads "- - -". Which per the manual could be due to excessive depth, murky water, or muddy bottom. But it will read this in all types of situations. Would the issue with this be in the digital display or is there something else that I should be looking at?

Thank You

aerolland
07-21-2016, 04:23 PM
Check your v-drive locker for a hockey puck sized transducer glued to the hull. Should be directly under or slightly to the port side of the boat. The glued type sometimes become unglued and the fluid inside the housing leaks into the bilge, thus not allowing the transducer to ping through the hull. There are several threads on here discussing how to re-glue and refill with RV antifreeze.

If your puck is not one of the fluid filled kind, you will have to simply replace it. I am in the same situation now.

JD14Mondo
07-22-2016, 10:30 AM
I get a lot of "out of range" readings also. Having the Airmar P-74 transducer replaced on Aug.9. 24684

kgarr1986
07-22-2016, 12:03 PM
Hey I took a look and sure enough that puck had been glued down but it no longer is.