PDA

View Full Version : Dealer unwilling to submit claim for warranty, what to do?

TurtlePower
07-21-2016, 02:36 PM
My dealer charged me for work that I would expect the warranty to cover, I need to see if there is some way to be compensated under warranty after having already paid. Talking with the dealer is going nowhere, is there a way that I can get Moomba to cover the repairs after they have been done?

I took my Mondo in for work because it was not starting, the dealer ended up replacing the starter and bilge pump. They said what likely happened is that water built up in the engine compartment because the bilge pump was not pumping, and the water got into the starter and caused it to stop working. At first they said that I did not have warranty coverage since I did not buy the boat from them. I pointed out in the manual that the boat can be taken to any authorized dealer. Now they are saying that water damaged components are not covered by warranty. This sounds like BS to me since

Their diagnosis said that the starter failure was likely caused by a leaking ballast tank and the faulty bilge pump allowing water to build up.
Even if the starter is not covered for some reason, I would expect that the bilge pump is immune to water damage

It sounds like they have not even attempted to warranty this with Moomba / Indmar. Should it not be the manufacturer that is the one who determines the warranty coverage? Unfortunately, I have already paid the dealer. I wanted to have the boat back in my possession for the short summer and decided to deal with their run-around after the fact. Maybe that was a mistake :(

KG's Supra24
07-21-2016, 04:44 PM
This is the newest reading of their warranty that is posted online ....

"Skier’s Choice boats are manufactured from high-quality materials and components by skilled team members. Conditions outside of Skier’s Choice control, however, require limitations and exclusions from coverage under this Limited Warranty. Therefore, claims arising from or relating to the following are NOT covered by this Limited Warranty and Skier's Choice disclaims any liability or obligation to the First Owner or the Second Owner, and any other person or party, with respect to the following:
1. Defects in or damage to a Covered Boat caused by the engine, trailer, or any components or parts (including, but not limited to, the bilge pump) not manufactured by Skier’s Choice. (Note: These excluded items may be covered by the Engine Warranty, the Trailer Warranty, or separate warranty from the part or component manufacturer);"

While I understand the logic, the bilge pump seems like an easy out. Did they prove water damage to the starter .... not that it probably matters since SC doesn't "manufacture" the starter or the bilge.

I'd contact skiers choice directly, though, so you know for sure.

Skimming the rest of their warranty, though, I'm not real sure what they do cover ......

dusty2221
07-21-2016, 04:48 PM
Is this on a brand new boat?

I had an issue with my 2015 SE bilge pump. Mine was burned up, when I pulled it out and opened up the housing it was full of fiberglass particles and carpet strings, which could have only gotten there during the build of the boat and remained in the hull. I would suggest adding bilge maintenance to your checklist during the summer to make sure there is nothing in the intake.

smorris7
07-21-2016, 04:50 PM
This is a dealer issue. This should be covered no questions. Reach out to Skiers Choice directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurtlePower
07-21-2016, 06:15 PM
"Skier’s Choice boats are manufactured from high-quality materials and components by skilled team members. Conditions outside of Skier’s Choice control, however, require limitations and exclusions from coverage under this Limited Warranty. Therefore, claims arising from or relating to the following are NOT covered by this Limited Warranty and Skier's Choice disclaims any liability or obligation to the First Owner or the Second Owner, and any other person or party, with respect to the following:
1. Defects in or damage to a Covered Boat caused by the engine, trailer, or any components or parts (including, but not limited to, the bilge pump) not manufactured by Skier’s Choice. (Note: These excluded items may be covered by the Engine Warranty, the Trailer Warranty, or separate warranty from the part or component manufacturer);"
Ugh, really. I wish this was as easy as a car warranty. If a part built by Bosch or Delco or whatever fails, it's covered under the car warranty and the manufacturer then presumably gets compensation back from the part manufacturer.

Will try to call SC tomorrow and get some more info.

zabooda
07-21-2016, 07:17 PM
What year is your boat?

TurtlePower
07-21-2016, 11:56 PM
It's a 2015, purchased brand new from the dealer.

ranger098
07-22-2016, 12:24 PM
IMO to be this technical on such a nice new expensive product is just a sick move on the dealer's part. If the problem didnt come from owner ignorance (which it wasnt in this case), then it should be 100% covered. Im willing to bet the dealer is just salty cuz their sales are low, and you brought in a boat to get work done and you didnt buy it from them. Definitely call skiers choice directly.

Why didnt you (or dont you now) bring it to the dealer you bought it from?

TurtlePower
07-22-2016, 07:21 PM
IMO to be this technical on such a nice new expensive product is just a sick move on the dealer's part.
No kidding. It seems like a $12k Kia would give me a more useful warranty. After reading the large list of exclusions from Indmar and Moomba, I am getting the feeling that I am SOL. Damage caused by parts that weren't manufactured by Skier's Choice are not covered under warranty, which to me sounds like they can essentially get out of pretty much anything. If a wire breaks and fries a computer, does that mean that it's not covered because some other company manufactured the wire? I have e-mailed Moomba for clarification.

The list of exclusions has me thinking I'll end up paying the entire bill. Hoping that Moomba or Indmar will step up and help out.

Defects to the starter motor, armatures or field coil assembly of the Product as determined solely by Indmar to be caused by excessive cranking, condensation or submersion.

Defects in or damage to a Covered Boat caused by the engine, trailer, or any components or parts (including, but not limited to, the bilge pump) not manufactured by Skier’s Choice. (Note: These excluded items may be covered by the Engine Warranty, the Trailer Warranty, or separate warranty from the part or component manufacturer);

I went with this dealer for service since it is closer to our summer place where the boat is. I figured I would save some time and gas.