PDA

View Full Version : Fins

Sp8
07-20-2016, 10:29 AM
Was curious about fin set up on my boards. We have a Byerlys Volt(first board), an O'Brien Celsius and a Ronix Koal Thruster(we use this the most). When running two fins, what is the difference if the 2 are the outside slots that are further forward vs the inside 2. Also, does the length matter(insert joke here).

Thanks
SP8

wolfeman131
07-20-2016, 12:18 PM
start w/ reading this:

http://www.evo.com/how-to-choose-surf-fins.aspx

Sp8
07-20-2016, 03:43 PM
start w/ reading this:

http://www.evo.com/how-to-choose-surf-fins.aspx

Thanks Drew

wolfeman131
07-20-2016, 03:47 PM
A lot of it comes down to personal preference.

If you end up with a board that uses futures or FCS fins, this is a cool program to use:

https://finatic.com/

snyderaaron
07-21-2016, 10:40 AM
how does the volt ride? i have the buzz and switched to a smaller fin. landed my first 360 because of it

5:00
07-21-2016, 11:36 AM
how does the volt ride? i have the buzz and switched to a smaller fin. landed my first 360 because of it

What fins did you get and where did you get them?

I have the Volt and love the board but am having trouble getting it to break free easily for the 3.
As it sits I love the ride and I can easily whip it around doing slashes, lip slides and so on but have to work hard to break it for the 3. The board is fast with the two current fins which is great. It instantly became my wife's favorite and others who have ridden it really like it. It is my favorite now out of four boards we own including one Phase 5. I don't have any custom boards to compare it to but this one will do what I need once I find out how to break it free easily.
The ONLY thing I don't like about is there is a place up front by design where there is no traction pad. It is only about 2" wide but your foot slips on it just slightly if that is where your foot needs to be.

snyderaaron
07-21-2016, 11:46 AM
What fins did you get and where did you get them?

I have the Volt and love the board but am having trouble getting it to break free easily for the 3.
As it sits I love the ride and I can easily whip it around doing slashes, lip slides and so on but have to work hard to break it for the 3. The board is fast with the two current fins which is great. It instantly became my wife's favorite and others who have ridden it really like it. It is my favorite now out of four boards we own including one Phase 5. I don't have any custom boards to compare it to but this one will do what I need once I find out how to break it free easily.
The ONLY thing I don't like about is there is a place up front by design where there is no traction pad. It is only about 2" wide but your foot slips on it just slightly if that is where your foot needs to be.

My Buzz only has 3 fin spots. I removed the two outside and just kept the center on which was a 2.5 idlewood fish fin and changed it to a 1.5 inch. I think I'm going to like it as it is really loose to play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07-21-2016, 11:53 AM
For now I will move one to the center only. Only problem is everyone is riding this board now. I guess they will have to deal with only one fin now.

snyderaaron
07-21-2016, 12:26 PM
Your board, you do you 👍

07-21-2016, 01:17 PM
True true.

Sp8
07-21-2016, 03:39 PM
I can't give an honest review. I only rode that board when I didn't know how to surf. My OBrien was the first board I cud go rope less on and I never went back. Kids had it out the other day for several runs, but prefer Koal Thruster(Volt still has quad fins). Gonna do what you did and just go with one fin next time out. I'll see what they think.

snyderaaron
07-21-2016, 03:49 PM
I can't give an honest review. I only rode that board when I didn't know how to surf. My OBrien was the first board I cud go rope less on and I never went back. Kids had it out the other day for several runs, but prefer Koal Thruster(Volt still has quad fins). Gonna do what you did and just go with one fin next time out. I'll see what they think.

http://www.sunandski.com/p/0834056841300/hyperlite-1.5in-fish-surf-fin

Here's is the fin I got. And I think price went down after I got it. If it's the same fin you have might as well try.