PDA

View Full Version : '98 Moomba Outback solenoid / dash electrical issues

kelauben
07-19-2016, 04:26 PM
Hi everyone. I'm in the process of troubleshooting my '98 Outback. It wouldn't start this year. I made sure the battery was charged but got a "click" instead of the motor turning over. I'm pretty sure it's the starter slave solenoid so I'm replacing it unless someone has a suggestion on troubleshoot and repairing it. I've tracked down the replacement part to a Sierra 18-5812. Can anyone confirm if that's correct?

Now, I'm having trouble getting the dashboard to light up. No juice at all when the key is turned. I'm thinking I've got a loose connection or a fuse blown. Anyone have experience with removing the dash to work on it? Crawling under and looking from the backside is very difficult for me to see with my eyes being what they are. Doesn't help that I'm 6'5" and crawling underneath that dash is painful.

Thanks everyone.

karl

liquid_acid
07-20-2016, 05:23 AM
When was the last time the starter was replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kelauben
07-20-2016, 07:41 AM
When was the last time the starter was replaced?

2014. Worked great up till last day of last season, then started hearing just a 'click' when I'd go to try to start it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kaneboats
07-20-2016, 09:54 AM
My 2000 had a big red reset button behind the motor that you can't see. Pull the clam all the way up and stick your head in to see if yours has one facing the rear. If so, give it a push and see if it resets everything.

kelauben
07-20-2016, 10:38 AM
My 2000 had a big red reset button behind the motor that you can't see. Pull the clam all the way up and stick your head in to see if yours has one facing the rear. If so, give it a push and see if it resets everything.

Tried that but haven't tested it to see if the circuit is good yet. Will try that tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion/reminder.

Karl

kelauben
07-21-2016, 11:38 AM
Tried that but haven't tested it to see if the circuit is good yet. Will try that tonight.

Thanks for the suggestion/reminder.

Karl

Breaker tested fine. Secondary solenoid failed to test. New one appears to be working. Now just need to get the dash working.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Karl

kelauben
07-26-2016, 12:33 PM
Breaker tested fine. Secondary solenoid failed to test. New one appears to be working. Now just need to get the dash working.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Karl

Well, the breaker decided to fall apart. Will replace that now.

I jumped the breaker just to try to get the dash lit up but no luck there. Since I can't find a wiring diagram, I'm creating one myself by tracing all the wires.

If anyone has any other suggestions, they'd be more than welcome.

Karl

bkearney
07-26-2016, 08:33 PM
I have a very similar issue with a 2003 LSV. Why do you think it is there starter?

kelauben
07-31-2016, 04:04 PM
Turned out to be the starter solenoid, the secondary solenoid and 50amp breaker. In addition, had several wires that were corroded and starting to fall apart and needed to clean and re-seat the battery terminal connections.

Latest problem is the the fuel pump. Ordering new one as the current one failed when I applied external power to it.

I have learned a heck of a lot more than I bargained for on this project but all good. Just want to get her out on the water now.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Karl