PDA

View Full Version : Boatmate trailer lights

Blueliner
07-19-2016, 03:13 PM
My driver side signal light works, but not the brake lights. The truck lights all work fine.

How would I go about trouble shooting this. Boatmate is stock-out on a new light assembly.

Can you help me trouble shoot? Are these lights generic, could I get one at a parts store?

I have a long tow in two weeks, some of it through a metro area need to get it sorted out.

Thanks
Blueliner

smorris7
07-19-2016, 03:50 PM
Double check the connection at the truck. Mine did the same thing and I used fine grit sandpaper to clean all the copper connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Woods Mobius
07-19-2016, 05:47 PM
Double check the connection at the truck. Mine did the same thing and I used fine grit sandpaper to clean all the copper connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on double-checking the connection to your tow rig.... We tow our 2014 LSV with a 2014 Audi Q7, and the Audi recepticle for the trailer light pigtail is NOT a particularly tight fit. I have to triple-check that it's seated tightly, otherwise only my brake lights work but not my running lights. Frankly it's a pretty poorly-designed set up as I have the same issue for our snowmobile trailer ....

Woody929
07-19-2016, 09:36 PM
I had the same issue before with the stock plug, that's why I upgraded to the round 7 pin connector

Blueliner
07-20-2016, 06:39 AM
I cleaned the pins and the adapter up and plugged in, nothing would work until I actually hooked up the hitch itself. Is that normal? I find the truck adapter and the trailer pin wonky, not a tight industrial fit. The cleaning did not remedy. I swapped the lights and the driver side works....swapped back and now the light I moved its tail light is intermittent. I think both lights and maybe the mating connectors need to be replaced what a PITA. the pins on the mating connectors are in poor condition and very dirty. I did discover with a quick search last nite that the lights are generic, I don't have to buy them from Boat mate, I can get them for a fraction of the cost from a number of different sources.

zabooda
07-20-2016, 11:37 PM
Your hitch connection made a ground. Follow the ground.

Dandy21
07-20-2016, 11:56 PM
What is your tow vehicle? If it happens to be a GM truck, they have separate fuses for the trailer brake lights, left signal and right signal. Had a trailer light stop working and had one heck of a time troubleshooting it, replaced the light and still didn't work. Found out about the separate fuses, replace it and it worked.

Good Luck

kaneboats
07-21-2016, 09:41 AM
Yea, I had a GM SUV one time that had some kind of problem. Found a blown fuse in the box under the middle row seat, driver's side. Replaced it and worked fine.

moombahighrider
07-21-2016, 10:53 AM
Your hitch connection made a ground. Follow the ground.

This!

Your ground pin is not connecting. You definitely do not want to rely on the hitch as a ground pathway. Sort the ground out first and then chase additional issues.

Also, I had a loose ground lug on my boatmate trailer. Look under the frame towards the hitch- the lug is screwed into the frame. Checking this is in addition to getting the ground sorted from tow vehicle to trailer.