PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Not Emptying - 2006 LSV

soccerdave
07-18-2016, 01:41 PM
I have a 2006 LSV with the stock gravity III system. My back right ballast bag will fill and empty just fine, but the back left bag will only fill. Do you think this is an issue with the sprinkler valves? I thought that I understood that both bags use the same pump, is that correct? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

wolfeman131
07-18-2016, 01:43 PM
I think on that year it fills from same, but each has own empty pump.

MJHSupra
07-18-2016, 02:34 PM
I think on that year it fills from same, but each has own empty pump.

I agree. Each back bag should have a small Rule Pump to drain the bags. Follow the hoses.
Could be a fuse, but probably a bad pump. Probably $35 from the dealer. They have clips to connect/unconnect for the electric.
If you are replacing, might want to do both b/c they get used the most. Then save the good pump for a spare.

kaneboats
07-18-2016, 02:42 PM
You have a single fill pump and 3 separate empty pumps. When you fill the main pump turns on and the valve that corresponds to the switch you flipped will open the sprinkler valve to fill that bag. When you hit empty it just turns on the empty pump for the particular bag.

First check the panel and see if the breaker tripped. There should be a reset button just below the 3 switches. Then see if the pump is coming on (it will hum a little) when the switch is in the empty position. If not, you can check to see if you have 12v to the pump. Or, remove the pump and put 12v to it and see if it runs. Obviously, if it doesn't you should replace it.

I have found the Tsunami 800 makes a great replacement for the original Rule 700 you probably have in there now. Most WalMarts have them in stock or you can order online and pick up in store.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-T1200-Aerator-Pump-12-VDC/14150754

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tsunami-800-Cartridge-Aerator-with-Long-Inlet-and-Threaded-Outlet/11071186

soccerdave
07-18-2016, 09:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the great info. When I turned the empty switch on I can hear the pump hum but nothing comes out. I'm going to try to pick up a new one at Walmart tomorrow and swap it out.

jmvotto
07-18-2016, 10:48 PM
Check and make sure the empty hose is not kinked or plugged, those pumps if running should empty, it's when there is no noise there is a problem.

valleywine
07-18-2016, 11:28 PM
Thanks everyone for the great info. When I turned the empty switch on I can hear the pump hum but nothing comes out. I'm going to try to pick up a new one at Walmart tomorrow and swap it out.

I'm having the exact same issue on the same bag. Bought a replacement pump. Will check empty hose and install new pump. Can't the impeller wear out??

jmvotto
07-18-2016, 11:32 PM
They are hard plastic, most likely could be stripped from the motor

JHutch
07-19-2016, 11:28 AM
Question about these pumps and the sprinkler valves. What are you guys doing about the wiring? Are you buying new Deutch connectors or just splicing the wires? I bought the upgraded Irritrol Valves but have not put them in yet due to Deutch connectors and was thinking about splicing the wires reusing the old ones.

gmg
07-19-2016, 12:03 PM
Have you tried cycling the pump on and off a number of times to purge the air?

jzelt
07-19-2016, 12:31 PM
Agree. Push on the bag, turn the pump off and on a couple times and it will usually form a suction. I also lift the bag as it starts to get empty to get the last bit of water out. Once it looses suction, it is basically done.

kaneboats
07-19-2016, 02:05 PM
Are you buying new Deutch connectors or just splicing the wires? I bought the upgraded Irritrol Valves but have not put them in yet due to Deutch connectors and was thinking about splicing the wires reusing the old ones.

That's what I do. Make a nice splice and then heat shrink tubing to seal it up. Re-use the original connectors. It's handy when you want to unplug or test something.

jmvotto
07-19-2016, 04:04 PM
I bought the deutch connectors, but if you don't have the time, just splice in with butt connectors and heat shrink.

soccerdave
07-20-2016, 10:10 PM
I'm pretty sure I found out my problem. I installed a new pump today and it still wasn't working. I noticed the tubing that goes from the bag to the pump had a little bend that was a little soft. I attached it to a hose and at the soft spot there were 3 pinholes that were shooting out water in the middle of the tubing. I'm guessing that was enough air to not create the vacuum.

I'm going to go buy some more of the tubing in the morning and see if that fixes it up. Do they sell that tubing anywhere locally?

I did at least get a pump upgrade in. The one that was in there was 500 GPH and the new one is 800, so at least it wasn't a total waste!

jzelt
07-21-2016, 08:49 AM
I've had pretty good luck with reinforced clear hose at Lowes or Home Depot in the diameter you need.

jmvotto
07-21-2016, 09:06 AM
wakemakers or just cut and splice with a hose connectors the bad spot