PDA

View Full Version : kids wake surfing

Flee27
07-18-2016, 09:55 AM
I know this has been brought up a few times but wanting updated opinions and some possible coaching advice.

My daughter is 13, 5'3" and about 85lbs. Finally this weekend she decided she wanted to learn to surf. She can ocean surf and loves that but for some reason has been scared to try behind the boat. She was using the smallest and least buoyant board we have which is a byerly buzz 4.6. She gave it some good tries and kept a good attitude but could never get the board to flip up on her feet. I tried getting in the water with her and when the boat would start to pull, flip the board up as she pulled away. Nothing seemed to help.

I think I am going to order a Phase5 Scamp for her. That seems to be the board that gets recommended a lot for smaller people. Also, if anyone has any tips/video of how to help her I would love the feed back.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Foster

kriley
07-18-2016, 10:19 AM
I went through the same thing with my 10 year old son - We would tilt the board and he would get up but the board we had was way to big - he weighs 65 pounds and is 4'6".
We bought him the Scamp and he is riding great and has progressed dramatically this year. HE is able to drop the rope and surf for a pretty good distance! Everyone that I talked to told me to buy him the Scamp! It works!! I will post some pics later

kaneboats
07-18-2016, 10:59 AM
We practiced with my son in the pool and with Dad running holding the rope. He laughed his butt off and was able to get up and ride across the pool.

kriley
07-18-2016, 11:03 AM

trayson
07-18-2016, 11:16 AM
Another happy Scamp user. My son would flip the board with one of his hands while holding the rope with the other, so that helped him out. There's a great video of getting kids started on the Wake9 website/youtube.

Also, we attach the rope to the outside of the tower (not the center) so that when he's getting pulled up, he's already outside the wake. I even start up with a partial turn so that I can keep him outside of the wake the whole time. He really struggled at first with dropping off "the cliff" of the surf wave or having to power through the white wash as the wave's forming. A nice gentle pull also helped him.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/20160630_101702_zpsofdp6aco.jpg

wolfeman131
07-18-2016, 12:08 PM
There is a Professional wakesurfer, who also happens to be a Supra Team Rider, not too far from your lake. She & her sister did a surf clinic with Atlanta Marine last week that kriley's sons attended. Rates are reasonable and she may even be able to bring along a scamp & a few other boards to try or you can set up some time at her lake behind a Supra SA 450.

csm
07-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Also, we attach the rope to the outside of the tower (not the center) so that when he's getting pulled up, he's already outside the wake. I even start up with a partial turn so that I can keep him outside of the wake the whole time. He really struggled at first with dropping off "the cliff" of the surf wave or having to power through the white wash as the wave's forming. A nice gentle pull also helped him.

Where/how are you attaching your rope? I know we have different towers but interested to see how you do that. My surf rope is literally about to break from rubbing on the bimini.

I ordered a scamp from Wakemakers, but they were backordered, and wouldn't be shipping out until August at the earliest so i switched my order to a Hyperlite Gromcast. Probably not as good as the P5, but the dimensions are the same, and I'd rather have something sooner than later for the kids.

Woody929
07-18-2016, 01:15 PM
There is a Professional wakesurfer, who also happens to be a Supra Team Rider, not too far from your lake. She & her sister did a surf clinic with Atlanta Marine last week that kriley's sons attended. Rates are reasonable and she may even be able to bring along a scamp & a few other boards to try or you can set up some time at her lake behind a Supra SA 450.

#shamelessplug 😉

wolfeman131
07-18-2016, 01:37 PM
either attach the surf robe to a cleat or order one of these to put on your tower and then attach the surf rope to it

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gladiator-Kwik-Connect&i=44139

kriley
07-18-2016, 01:41 PM
You can get / order a scamp from Alltoona Adventures - they have them in stock - Got mine for the same price as wake makers was selling them for..

Drew's daughters, really helped both of my sons during the Atlanta Marine surf clinic event -now I have to buy a Soul craft surf board....

kriley
07-18-2016, 01:43 PM
either attach the surf robe to a cleat or order one of these to put on your tower and then attach the surf rope to it

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Gladiator-Kwik-Connect&i=44139

It wont stress the tower by not being in the middle???

wolfeman131
07-18-2016, 01:45 PM
I hope all of her 85lbs won't stress the tower! It's a trick to use the first 6 times to keep them in the flats & out of the wash. Once they start popping up & getting comfortable, switch to the tower.

zambonidriver
07-18-2016, 01:58 PM
I do the same with my kids - tie the rope to the side of the tower. I used to change it when I surf but I'm lazy and usually just leave it in the middle all day. I would have had a problem by now if the tower couldn't handle it. Slow turn when getting up helps the kids the most. But the tube idea is fantastic!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
07-18-2016, 02:03 PM
Drew's daughters, really helped both of my sons during the Atlanta Marine surf clinic event -now I have to buy a Soul craft surf board....

hehehehehe!

We may have a few that the boys should try out first to get it sized/shaped correctly.

kriley
07-18-2016, 03:53 PM
That would be great! I appreciate your help!!!

trayson
07-18-2016, 04:11 PM
Where/how are you attaching your rope? I know we have different towers but interested to see how you do that. My surf rope is literally about to break from rubbing on the bimini.

I ordered a scamp from Wakemakers, but they were backordered, and wouldn't be shipping out until August at the earliest so i switched my order to a Hyperlite Gromcast. Probably not as good as the P5, but the dimensions are the same, and I'd rather have something sooner than later for the kids.

This is how I do it now. When I put the REV410's on my tower, I had to use this crossbar so the rope wasn't pressing on the REV's. I loop the rope around the crossbar circled in yellow. And then I have it continue and loop around the top tow point. The path of the rope is shown in blue. I use the 2nd loop from the end on my surf rope (thicker rope with a small triangle handle and a few knots with foam padding in a few spots).

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/Rope%20to%20tower_zpsekszpjvh.jpg

I used to use the next crossbar up (so it was higher, but in a little more), but that crossbar wouldn't work with my new tower speakers.

You can see with the rope out there, that it's not pulling him into the center of the wake right away.
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/20160628_105407_zps1qmfzyi8.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/G0063601_zpsnh77hjxe.jpg

NoleAlum
07-19-2016, 08:49 AM
For what it is worth I and three other Dads on our lake all have the Gromcast and are very happy with it. Get kids up from 60lbs to 120lbs. One has Scamp and seems to do okay as well. My son thought Scamp was a little more "Squirrley" to quote him.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

trayson
07-20-2016, 12:37 AM

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/20160719_125519_zpsbmh1a7o1.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/20160719_125535_zps03q6aehq.jpg

csm
07-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the pics Trayson. I'll have to give that a try for the kids.

Flee27
07-31-2016, 09:34 PM

We took Drew up on his generous offer to come surf with them. HUGE thanks to Drew, Allison, Taylor and Jordan for extending the invitation and giving us some of their time. As a lot of you that have had the pleasure of meeting the Wolfe's already know, they are a great family, and their work with my daughter exceeded my expectations for the day. Within the first session Taylor and Jordan worked together with my daughter and not only got her up and riding behind the boat but got her surfing ropeless-It was so awesome. Needless to say I was so excited to see her surfing. It was an awesome day, getting to know this family and seeing my daughter surf.

My son also went with us and was able to get some good pointers that he will be able to use as he continues to surf. He also enjoyed his day with the Wolfe's and loved that Supra.

Thanks Wolfe family for a great Saturday.

Foster, Tylan and Callie

https://vimeo.com/176923282

wolfeman131
08-01-2016, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the kind words. We enjoyed having you all and the girls love to share the stoke of surfing.

sivs1
08-01-2016, 12:41 PM
Here's my son's first time up.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160801/33d7986a00f85ffc60a96671e3668281.jpg
He's on a Victoria Debut board.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

deckwork
08-07-2016, 05:48 PM
Figure this is the best place for me to post this.
I just recently tried to get my 6 year old son more involved in water sports, he loves being in the water swimming around the boat so was trying to surf tandem with him I am new to the sport this year with two boards a Phase 5 Oogle and Model X I am progressing well, can go ropeless and am starting to work on some tricks.
We tried getting both of us up on the Oogle, tried three times varying starting speed and the way I held the rope with no success and figured I am doing something wrong so instead of scaring him thought I would get some advice on both technique and board.
We tried with him basically between my legs with both our feet on board with him holding my legs and once with only one hand on rope other holding him and once with both hands on rope but could not pull us up mainly concerned about going over the board and landing on him, seemed to just plow water.My weight is about 145lbs and he weighs 45lbs.
any advice, a video of starting would be great , is it even possible on this board
Thanks

Flee27
08-07-2016, 09:18 PM
I used to do this with my daughter and one of her friends. She was probably about 50-60 lbs and her friend was heavier. I basically would have them put their feet between mine and lay against me. They would hold onto my arms while the boat was pulling us up. Once up I would hold them with one arm. We were able to surf ropeless like this. Sorry no video or pictures that I can find right now.

Good luck. Hope you and your son are surfing soon.

Foster

Woody929
08-07-2016, 09:22 PM
Figure this is the best place for me to post this.
I just recently tried to get my 6 year old son more involved in water sports, he loves being in the water swimming around the boat so was trying to surf tandem with him I am new to the sport this year with two boards a Phase 5 Oogle and Model X I am progressing well, can go ropeless and am starting to work on some tricks.
We tried getting both of us up on the Oogle, tried three times varying starting speed and the way I held the rope with no success and figured I am doing something wrong so instead of scaring him thought I would get some advice on both technique and board.
We tried with him basically between my legs with both our feet on board with him holding my legs and once with only one hand on rope other holding him and once with both hands on rope but could not pull us up mainly concerned about going over the board and landing on him, seemed to just plow water.My weight is about 145lbs and he weighs 45lbs.
any advice, a video of starting would be great , is it even possible on this board
Thanks

What I do is start with my 5 year olds (I have 2) between my legs and they wrap their arms around my thighs. I hold/pinch them with my knees, and we go. Once up they put their full weight on the board. I've done this with kids from 4-9. The older/taller they get, the harder it is. I've had the older ones knock me off of the back of the board before :-)

This is yesterday
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160808/54b6a351ceacc08fd887f491a6ea366d.jpg