PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Issue - Low Voltage - 2000 outback

wolfsokta
07-16-2016, 05:28 PM
I have a 2000 outback that hasn't had any issues for years but now I'm having an issue where the boat starts up wonderfully but then dies after a minute or so. I have to wait a while and then push the breaker in above the key to get it to start but it then does the same thing and dies. I noticed the dash is showing 10-11 volts as well when the key is on and the engine is running.

I thought it was a bad alternator so I have replaced that but I'm still having the same issue.

I have 12 volts on the back of my alternator but on the one prong (exciter?) it's only reading 10volts when the key is turned on. Even after starting it stays at 10 volts.

I desperately want to get this boat out in the water this season so any help would be very much appreciated.

-Jesse

parrothd
07-16-2016, 08:04 PM
Either the breaker is going bad, or the fuel pump, or you have a short somewhere. Replace both, and check for loose/bad wiring..unless its fuel injected..:) I'd swap the breaker with one of the other breakers, and go from there.

ranger098
07-22-2016, 12:14 PM
Your boat should be the same as mine where your purple wire from the alternator feeds the dash power. Check voltage on that wire before and after the ignition breaker, and maybe try unplugging dash components (horn, bilge, blower) to eliminate a possible issue with one of those units. Also, do you have a battery isolator or selector switch? I just had the same issue as you, and my battery isolator was my problem. it was causing low volts sent through that purple wire to the dash, and too much voltage to the batteries. Took me a while to diagnose, and 5 minutes to fix!

MILTAVO
08-01-2016, 02:45 PM
I had the same issue a month ago. It was the fuel pump.

gregski
08-01-2016, 05:20 PM
I have 12 volts on the back of my alternator but on the one prong (exciter?) it's only reading 10volts when the key is turned on. Even after starting it stays at 10 volts.
I'd focus on this clue. A working alternator and regulator should output around 14V (usually 14.2 but anything above 13.8 is good)