PDA

View Full Version : Any help on what may have happened?

bkearney
07-15-2016, 01:56 PM
We were surfing last night on a 2003 LSV. Love the new suck gate, except now I can not argue for a new boat :)

We took on alot of water, which I have not tracked down yet. It could be a need new packing, or it could be the dogs.. not sure. But I needed to run the bilge for about a minute a few times to empty out the water. This worries me, but is not my question.

My son was driving, and he said that he saw the speedos shoot to the right and then go dead. When we turned off the boat, it would crank but not turn over. The dashboard was not lighting up, but we were still able to crank it. We waited about 10 minutes to flag someone down and beg a tow back to the dock. 10 minutes later, it turned over. The good news, no tow! But I have no idea what to look for as the issue.

My wife thinks it was temp since we were surfing for a while, but we seemed to stay about 165. I assume it was the water some how, but I can not explain why it would suddenly turn back on. I would assume water in the engine would hae done permanent damage. I checked the battery connections, and they were solid. Any suggestions on what I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

-- bk

Poison
07-15-2016, 02:22 PM
I can't help you with the shut down, but I can tell you that I had a similar issue this year with water in the bilge. It wound up being my ballast empty pumps. One of the rear ones had cracked and would leak water when the bags were full. I replaced both of them with tsunami pumps and haven't had anymore issues. Just something to check. I hope it isn't something more costly.

mmandley
07-15-2016, 02:27 PM
My first thought is vapor lock, your engine is working pretty hard surfing and maybe you surfed longer then you expected. Also with larger surf waves if you suddenly stop after a rider falls you take on more water in the bilge.

If this happens again take a bottle of cold water and pour it on your pump and lines.

bkearney
07-15-2016, 03:01 PM
Thanks, I will take a look.

bkearney
07-15-2016, 03:04 PM
My first thought is vapor lock, your engine is working pretty hard surfing and maybe you surfed longer then you expected. Also with larger surf waves if you suddenly stop after a rider falls you take on more water in the bilge.

If this happens again take a bottle of cold water and pour it on your pump and lines.

Thanks. Couple of question on this:

1) How is water getting into the bilge when stopping. For once, i can say we have big wake? Is it because the thru-hull on the starboard side is under water, or something about the wave?

2) Also, what lines would I pour the cold water on?

mmandley
07-15-2016, 05:38 PM
The fuel lines coming from your tank to the fuel pump.

Water tends to come in the rear vents to the engine. At least it will on mine, also it will come in the V drive doors were they close on the fiberglass. Not a huge deal as long as the bilge is working

icemanftr
07-15-2016, 10:26 PM
Suck gate is probably why you're taking on water. Mine was taking water through rub rail with bad seal on mine from upspray. Check the carpet on both sides in v drive lockers or the side you had suck gate on. It took me a min but that is where mine was coming in. I took it to dealer for warranty repair being 3 years old (2013) and of course Skiers Choice wouldn't warranty the bad seal. Bullshit as it was not done properly during production according to boat tech locally. So they did it for free, just charged me for sealant. Was on the lake next weekend and never had an issue again. Made me really question Skiers Choice integrity and future warranty issues if I ever buy another Moomba/Supra down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icemanftr
07-15-2016, 10:27 PM
Best way to test it is turn on water hose and spray the bottom of chrome rub rail and seal and see if it shoots inside of boat. Took two seconds and it was coming right in on mine.

wolfeman131
07-15-2016, 11:07 PM
Why didn't you report the bad hull seal to your dealer in 2013?

Fair warning: if you keep dropping the f-bomb and trashing SC, you better be ready to start hanging out on WakeWorld.

icemanftr
07-15-2016, 11:21 PM

Fair warning: if you keep dropping the f-bomb and trashing SC, you better be ready to start hanging out on WakeWorld.

Not something I noticed before, as I never have had rub rail in water for surfing or close to. This was one of those issues where boat could have been rushed on a Friday according to tech.

If you feel it's necessary to ban me for my constitutional right and frustrations or experiences, by all means go ahead. I have shared many notable contributions to others on here and helped many others. So if me having a bad experience the one time I expect SC to stand behind their product and they don't, then your damn right I'm gonna make sure others are aware of it. Would it be any different if it were a cellphone issue or automotive issue and not standing behind their workmanship and products?

Forums are a place for others to share experiences, good or bad. If you don't like it, maybe you should vote for Clinton.

icemanftr
07-15-2016, 11:24 PM

Lastly, my dealer got dropped from SC after I bought my boat. So quite frankly I was screwed on service related issues from get go. Had to do it all on my own, or drive 300 miles to Seattle (not a chance). Luckily the Marina who fixed it for me just picked up SC this year and already have earned my business for life.

c h r i s
07-15-2016, 11:31 PM
Think it was the f bomb dude.

I get it, I'd be frustrated too. Wouldn't know that you need to take it in 2013 if it wasn't spraying in then. Should be able to vent but f'er probably far. The rest of the post seemed legit to me.

icemanftr
07-15-2016, 11:38 PM

I get it, I'd be frustrated too. Wouldn't know that you need to take it in 2013 if it wasn't spraying in then. Should be able to vent but f'er probably far. The rest of the post seemed legit to me.

True, guess in my line of work and service it's expected and no one bats and eye too it. Lol Then again - I thought this was and 18 and up forum when I registered 3 years ago.

icemanftr
07-16-2016, 12:51 AM

So fitting right now. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160716/d348b3945ebe11bbf3fb3868a3a6fc56.jpg

wolfeman131
07-16-2016, 12:29 PM
True, guess in my line of work and service it's expected and no one bats and eye too it. Lol Then again - I thought this was and 18 and up forum when I registered 3 years ago.

Read your Owners Manual and understand what you're entitled to under warranty & stop complaining about stuff you didn't take care of when & how you should have.

You may also want to get familiar with the forum guidelines that you must have missed when you registered 3 yrs ago:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?12440-***Forum-Guidelines-Please-read-before-posting***

rbeckner27
07-16-2016, 01:01 PM
Sounds like we gotta few that woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

icemanftr
07-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Read your Owners Manual and understand what you're entitled to under warranty & stop complaining about stuff you didn't take care of when & how you should have.

You may also want to get familiar with the forum guidelines that you must have missed when you registered 3 yrs ago:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?12440-***Forum-Guidelines-Please-read-before-posting***

You know I once had a Subaru... There was an issue with the center console of all things, and I was told "this item isn't covered under warranty, but let me see what I can do." 5 mins later I was told it would be fixed/replaced free of charge and just written up in a way to be covered. Moral of the story, sometimes companies step out of the box at times when issues arise and stand behind their products, even if in the fine print they're not responsible or going to cover certain issues. This was one of those times where I figured SC would step out of the box for a piddly $100 fix/repair.

PG rated these days is much different then 50 years ago. So I guess it depends who sees it and their generation on whether or not their feelers will be hurt or not. I mean they have a waiver now for everything these days, even in our military.

I will put the hammer down though on profane language and just speak Spanish for my sentence enhancers. 🤐😎

bkearney
07-16-2016, 06:10 PM
Suck gate is probably why you're taking on water. Mine was taking water through rub rail with bad seal on mine from upspray. Check the carpet on both sides in v drive lockers or the side you had suck gate on. It took me a min but that is where mine was coming in. I took it to dealer for warranty repair being 3 years old (2013) and of course Skiers Choice wouldn't warranty the bad seal. Bullshit as it was not done properly during production according to boat tech locally. So they did it for free, just charged me for sealant. Was on the lake next weekend and never had an issue again. Made me really question Skiers Choice integrity and future warranty issues if I ever buy another Moomba/Supra down the road.

interesting, i will check. On our suckgate, it sprays up alot. I assume that is normal?

icemanftr
07-16-2016, 07:50 PM
interesting, i will check. On our suckgate, it sprays up alot. I assume that is normal?

Yes it is normal on most boats. Depending on how submerged and angle dictates the amount of spray. So best guess is to spray water directly into this spot on rub rail. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160716/bf45cfc15461bcd9ec063d733c619cf9.jpg