PDA

View Full Version : Slalom ski set up?

ninedriver
07-14-2016, 04:20 PM
I'm basically a 44 year old intermediate wakeboarder/surfer just having a blast with the family on the boat. Many moons ago I was skiing behind a friends boat and dropped a ski and slalomed for a bit. That's the extent of my experience. I decided I wasn't getting any younger and figured I'd give this slalom thing a try as people seem to love it like surfing. I just want to cruise and carve so after doing some research I got a previous year model radar P6 It has a front boot and open toe in the rear. I've tried to find some info on setting it up but haven't been successful.
Could someone give me a how to or direct me where to find one?
Looking for binding placement, distance, fin, and wing setup, etc.

Thanks
Steve

kaneboats
07-15-2016, 11:48 AM
Have you searched youtube videos? Maybe start there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyFtjkVf6sA

ninedriver
07-15-2016, 01:40 PM
Hey pat,
Thanks. I did check out that video and it was mostly him setting up the ski to his already known specs without any real explanation of why or how different settings are used regarding skier size and experience (or lack there of in my case). I'll keep searching I just figured some 30 off skier would chime in. (I'm also trying to learn the slalom lingo)

Steve

iwaterskihard
07-15-2016, 03:41 PM
What is it you're trying to set up? I would imagine based on the ski it is the ski is set at factory settings. That said without seeing pictures of the ski and bindings I might assume you can move them both forward and backwards a hole or two either way. Same with the fin. I don't think you can do a whole lot to the fin other than move it forward a bit and back a bit. I do not believe you can set the depth on the fin.

Post a couple close up pics of your bindings and of your fin. Also what are you noticing when riding it? Are you trying to fix something specific in the ski reactions?

BensonWdby
07-29-2016, 11:35 AM
I'm basically a 44 year old intermediate wakeboarder/surfer just having a blast with the family on the boat. Many moons ago I was skiing behind a friends boat and dropped a ski and slalomed for a bit. That's the extent of my experience. I decided I wasn't getting any younger and figured I'd give this slalom thing a try as people seem to love it like surfing. I just want to cruise and carve so after doing some research I got a previous year model radar P6 It has a front boot and open toe in the rear. I've tried to find some info on setting it up but haven't been successful.
Could someone give me a how to or direct me where to find one?
Looking for binding placement, distance, fin, and wing setup, etc.

Thanks
Steve

If you are just cruising and not running the course, most of those measurements are probably not too critical (IMHO).
1. put the front foot in the neutral position, i.e., use the middle hole on the plate.
2. Set the RTP as close as possible to the front foot
3. Take off the wing - probably not needed for cruising. If you want to keep it - set it at 8 degrees.
4. Fin placement - if you are having issues turning you can tinker with it. Ref - https://www.finwhispering.com/

If you need specifics - contact Radar directly - they have been very helpful in the past for me:
http://www.radarskis.com/contact/