PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know where "Rope Swing Cove" is on the Metolius Arm of Lake Billy Chinook

trayson
07-13-2016, 06:02 PM
Edit: I found out the info. thanks.

zabooda
07-13-2016, 06:11 PM
So you are going to be the houseboat skipper navigating the waters of Rope Swing Cove. Sorry I couldn't help you locate the cove but it sounds fun.

beat taco
07-13-2016, 06:58 PM
You're welcome

kaneboats
07-14-2016, 12:26 AM
I think I can see it from here!

trayson
07-14-2016, 01:23 AM
Mike Mandley hit up his buddy Steven and got me the info I needed.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/mikem-pic_zps44ykhqyn.jpg

beat taco
07-14-2016, 01:51 AM
Mike Mandley hit up his buddy Steven and got me the info I needed.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/mikem-pic_zps44ykhqyn.jpg
For the record he hit up two of his buddies. That sounds like a nice trip.

trayson
07-14-2016, 02:04 AM
For the record he hit up two of his buddies. That sounds like a nice trip.

Ah. well, if you were involved, much thanks.

Yes, the group is getting their houseboats on a Thursday night and heading over to rope swing cove that evening. on friday after work we'll be able to head down and intend on joining them on the houseboats, but we have to figure out where to launch and park the truck.

That said, what can you tell me about the boat launch at Perry South vs the Marina? I know that since the group will have campsites at Perry South, that it would be easy to launch there and then park the truck and trailer with the people camping there. But someone said the road might not be great to the campground? My other thought was that I could launch at the 3 rivers marina (since they're renting the houseboats from there) and hopefully they'd be cool with us parking the truck and trailer there for 2 days...

Any insight?

beat taco
07-14-2016, 02:29 AM
My dad loved Perry South and had no issues dragging his boat in there. The last 3 miles are dirt and gravel. Not my thing. Three Rivers shouldn't be an issue if you're on a houseboat, as you'll get gate codes and parking from them.

One thing about three Rivers is you'll need to turn off your trailer brakes coming down to the ramp, it is the steepest grade I ever tow down. But no worries, you can try out your hill descent control.

Another thing is if your rear wheels even go 1" in the water to launch make sure you're in 4wd. As your facing the ramp the right side is always mossy and very slick. I was about to hook my winch to my bow hook 2 years ago after being out of the truck for at least a minute and the truck took off sliding into the lake, I jumped in and saved it as the cab was hitting the water. For that matter I've never come down a ramp anywhere in 2wd since that day.

Let us know if you have any issues with a gate code, I'm sure we could help, but I highly doubt you'll need it.

mmandley
07-14-2016, 11:27 AM
Yup I hit up Jake and Steve, Jake provided me the info I needed and details, Steve provided the picture.

Glad we could help ya out.

trayson
07-14-2016, 01:30 PM
One thing about three Rivers is you'll need to turn off your trailer brakes coming down to the ramp, it is the steepest grade I ever tow down. But no worries, you can try out your hill descent control.

So the grade down into there is steeper than the regular hill down into Lake Billy by the other Marina?

I'm guessing you're saying to turn off the trailer brakes because with the surge brakes they'll be engaging like mad going down the hill and will burn the brakes up or something? So it'd really be better to not use the trailer brakes to help out and to only use the truck's braking (and hill decent control)?

beat taco
07-14-2016, 01:38 PM
So the grade down into there is steeper than the regular hill down into Lake Billy by the other Marina?

I'm guessing you're saying to turn off the trailer brakes because with the surge brakes they'll be engaging like mad going down the hill and will burn the brakes up or something? So it'd really be better to not use the trailer brakes to help out and to only use the truck's braking (and hill decent control)?
If you don't turn them off plan to wait a good bit before dunking it as they'll be red hot. There is no comparison, this is the steepest grade you'll ever go down with your boat. I've only used hill descent once going down the hill, more just to see how it'd do, it worked great but did heat up the brakes a little more than I do driving my way, but was really slick I would try it just to see how it works if you've never given it a good test.

beat taco
07-14-2016, 01:42 PM
You'll know you're at the steep part when you get to the memorial and have this view of the lakehttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160714/0ee3906eae9978162a2b1da7946d0e55.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160714/99077d0a8715ed573d14e59bde759bc6.jpg

trayson
07-14-2016, 01:55 PM
You'll know you're at the steep part when you get to the memorial and have this view of the lake

Okay, thanks for the info.

I have one of the UFP brake lockout caps. can I just turn that to the "backing" setting to turn off the brakes on the trailer, or will I need to use the lockout key on the side of the tongue?

https://www.amazon.com/UFP-Brake-Lockout-Cap-Upgrade/dp/B006UH5ZSY?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/5156ID58N5L._SX425_.jpg

beat taco
07-14-2016, 02:00 PM
As long as it locks out your brakes you're good.

mmandley
07-15-2016, 09:43 AM
I personally wouldn't use the Ford down hill decent system. It isn't as good as advertised. When I used it on mine it would shut off because the boat was pushing the truck so hard the truck couldn't handle it. Pretty freaky when your slow and go then it shuts off and you pick up speed quick.

Also I had a lot of brake fade by the bottom of the hill, F150 front breaks were red hot and burnt smelling. I always bypass the trailer brakes at LBC due to the hill, other wise you wait 45 minutes to cool them or risk serious damage putting them in the water that hot.

You might look into Launching the boat and driving it to the Rope cove, then drive the truck with am empty trailer for your first trip down that hill.

$40 in fuel to learn the area is a lot better then losing your rig going down a dirt road.

I personally wouldn't take the Mojo down that dirt hill. I would launch it and drive it to the cove.

I can't imagine going down the 3 Rivers hill if it was dirt.

beat taco
07-15-2016, 10:38 AM
Heck my down hill assist worked so good I shut it off just after the final switch back because I was going too slow. But my truck is a 1/2 ton freak that tows loaded 28' trailers with ease despite heavy 35's.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160715/d8c4e589cc7eee391a2517b6aa50cb3d.jpg

mmandley
07-15-2016, 10:42 AM
Idk bro my F150 was set at 20 and the Mojo pushed it past pretty easily lol.

The Ram has no issues but the exhaust brake is a little finicky at what speeds it likes to kick in at

trayson
07-15-2016, 02:03 PM
I personally wouldn't use the Ford down hill decent system. It isn't as good as advertised. When I used it on mine it would shut off because the boat was pushing the truck so hard the truck couldn't handle it. Pretty freaky when your slow and go then it shuts off and you pick up speed quick.

Also I had a lot of brake fade by the bottom of the hill, F150 front breaks were red hot and burnt smelling. I always bypass the trailer brakes at LBC due to the hill, other wise you wait 45 minutes to cool them or risk serious damage putting them in the water that hot.

You might look into Launching the boat and driving it to the Rope cove, then drive the truck with am empty trailer for your first trip down that hill.

$40 in fuel to learn the area is a lot better then losing your rig going down a dirt road.

I personally wouldn't take the Mojo down that dirt hill. I would launch it and drive it to the cove.

I can't imagine going down the 3 Rivers hill if it was dirt.

So wait, is the road all the way to the marina paved? Or is this Hill that Jake is talking about gravel/dirt?

mmandley
07-15-2016, 02:28 PM
My understanding is the road to the cover your talking about is gravel. After 3 Rivers entrance even the main road turns to gravel

beat taco
07-15-2016, 02:38 PM
The last 3 miles to Perry South is not paved. The 3 rivers option is all paved.

trayson
07-15-2016, 04:39 PM
The last 3 miles to Perry South is not paved. The 3 rivers option is all paved.

That is the impression I got from you. So it's paved, but hella steep in one section. Check. That's the option we'll be doing. I can live without hitting up Perry South.

Interesting, we found out that since it's a Young Adults Church retreat, they are doing separate houseboats for the men and women. That will be pretty interesting after 5 years of marriage. But the wife suggested that if we get "lonely" that we can take a midnight "boat cruise" on the XLV! hahaha.

beat taco
07-15-2016, 05:09 PM
What's the dates? We'll be back in 2 weeks. I left my motor home in 3 rivers on our 4th of July trip. And really it's not too bad, main thing is to not ruin your trailer brakes. Mike and I have seen a lot of boat trailer brakes come down smoking and get backed directly into the water.

trayson
07-15-2016, 05:19 PM
What's the dates? We'll be back in 2 weeks. I left my motor home in 3 rivers on our 4th of July trip. And really it's not too bad, main thing is to not ruin your trailer brakes. Mike and I have seen a lot of boat trailer brakes come down smoking and get backed directly into the water.

We'll be heading out after work on August 26th and we'll be heading back home on August 28th. The group will be arriving Thursday evening, but Cindy and I couldn't get that Friday off work, so we're just there for a 2 day weekend.

trayson
08-30-2016, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys for all the insight. we had a blast on our trip. I used the hill descent control. It was interesting that just as I was getting to the bottom of the hill, the HDC beeped at me and told me that the driver needs to resume control. Um, okay. Overall, it worked pretty slick though.

On the way home, I turned my trailer brakes back on and let it share some of the braking load. The map of where rope swing cove was located was perfect. got me there after sunset, so much appreciated. I'm glad I got to scope out the marina beforehand because knowing where the houseboat launch was and where to park the truck was good. I didn't see one worker from the houseboat company on either launch or pulling the boat out. so I'm glad I knew ahead of time.