PDA

View Full Version : Boat turning off while surfing

07-13-2016, 01:01 PM
We have a 2007 Moomba Mobius XLV. It has turned off while surfing just out of the blue. There was a slight fuel smell. Stereo was on. Ballast bags were filled. Would start again but then shut off again without radio on. Has this happened to anyone? Suggestions.

parrothd
07-13-2016, 01:17 PM
Probably bumping the kill switch with your knee.

5:00
07-13-2016, 01:50 PM
x2 on that one! I had the same issue but not while surfing. It would happen when in rough water. The lanyard was bouncing and killing the system. I hung it on the throttle lever until it was replaced. The seat is really close and it or something else may be hitting it. I have heard of a person who hung a hat on the throttle lever and it was hitting against the kill switch and stopping the boat. It doesn't' take much.

I got this switch part# SIEMP40970 at skidim.com and has been solid for three years.

csm
07-13-2016, 01:57 PM
Probably bumping the kill switch with your knee.

THis would be my guess too. I've done it a couple of times while docking. Not a good feeling. Now that I've raised my seat it hasn't been a problem, but just a slight bump with your knee will kill the engine.

kaneboats
07-13-2016, 02:24 PM
Put some gas in it! J/K. I wonder if low oil makes a difference when the boat is listed-- could you get low oil pressure and she's shutting down due to that?

5:00
07-13-2016, 03:02 PM
That happened when my brother-in-law owned the boat we have now. Listing did it while doing sharp turns but you don't even want to know how low the oil was to cause that. I think I put in 3-4 quarts for him at the time and it fixed the problem.

saskie99
07-13-2016, 03:32 PM
Change your fuel filter also, Mine just quit on me this past weekend, takes 5 minutes to do

bergermaister
07-14-2016, 05:52 PM
Had this happen on a night surf once - whole boat went black and sputtered out. Talk about freaky.... In my case it was a lose engine wiring harness plug. Simple fix - hope yours is too!