PDA

View Full Version : exhaust ports and FAE failure

WhiskeyRunner
07-12-2016, 11:51 AM
Does anyone know if the exhaust port is 3 or 4 inches? I need to reinstall exhaust flaps.

I had an FAE professionally installed, only to have it come off the exhaust after the first ride. I manually re-installed the hose clamp and tightened it up. Just to see it slip off again. To no surprise, FAE said it probably wasn't installed properly, and the installer said they followed the manufacturer's instructions to the T.

Before going through the circus of pulling my boat out of the water and bringing it to the installer (it's a full day event with my set up), I tried one last time to tighten the hose clamp.

Well, now I officially know that FAE's do not float. The damn thing sheared off completely. Anyone else have (or hear) of this happening?

gregski
07-12-2016, 12:05 PM
Mine came off once. Luckily, it was still hanging from the swim platform. For me, I think the cause was the swim platform movement which then pulls/wiggles on the FAE. (I wedge shims in the brackets but I think they worked out as well.) I try to be diligent about checking the FAE when we launch but I know that's not as easy in the water. I think Mike put some little screws into the exhaust flange to give the hose and clamps something to "bite" on, I intend to do the same. I do wish that the would've put a little loop on the FAE so that you attach a little piece of cable to keep it from sinking in case of failure.

parrothd
07-12-2016, 12:43 PM
You have to install the extra screws or else it'll fall off..

icemanftr
07-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Had mine on for about 30 hours with no issues. I check bolts and tightness of unit at least every other time out. I installed myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmandley
07-12-2016, 02:04 PM
Sorry to hear about your issues.

The exhaust is 3 inch on the duels. For the Raptor singles I don't know the size

5:00
07-12-2016, 03:53 PM
Did you have that done at the Boat Shop at LKA?

One side fell off the first time I went out. I installed it myself. I pulled it out and found I had not put one of the clamps on exactly where it should have gone. The other side was perfect and stayed on. I am on season 2 and still holding tight. I also went back and tightened them just a bit tighter than what the instructions said to do. I think user error on the install is very possible on these things.
Is there no swim platform attachment for that one?

Don't give up just yet. Let FAE know what happened and they will probably cut you a break.

lsupcar
07-12-2016, 08:00 PM
Single exhaust on my boat is 4".

Ian Brantford
07-16-2016, 10:27 AM
Mine has come off previously, twice. Once was in the water and once was while towing on the trailer. The clamp has to be tightened more than some people are comfortable doing. I have yet to do anything to better secure the swim platform, but it should be done, too.