PDA

View Full Version : Surface scratches

russellsmojo
07-11-2016, 10:24 PM
How would I go about repairing surface scratches on a black boat? The cove tie ups come at a price and the recent storm gave me a few new battle wounds. I thought about some of the colored wax like a for a car. But would rather here from experienced boaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nitrodude24
07-11-2016, 11:03 PM
on my black I just orbital buffed with fine cut compound

MJHSupra
07-13-2016, 06:17 PM
on my black I just orbital buffed with fine cut compound

I did the same with a good buffer and pads. Not one of those $25 dollar ones from Walmart or Sears.

russellsmojo
07-13-2016, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys. I will give it a try on Friday. When you say buffer you mean one that is used for waxing a car?

nitrodude24
07-13-2016, 08:47 PM
I used a groits orbital they sell them at autozone for 159.99 and get some megiuars fine cut compound when finished wax up good.

jelmhorst
07-13-2016, 09:22 PM
This spring I did the Meguire's Restoration for oxidation and scratches with a random orbital polisher from Harbor Freight with the different pads and made a big difference on my black hull. My first attempt at anything like this and was very pleased with the result.

MJHSupra
07-13-2016, 11:36 PM
I purchased a Porter Cable 6" var speed orbit polisher. You can purchase the pads anywhere on the net. I've used it on all my cars and boats.

I would have to take a look in my garage, but I think I used 3M products the last time I buffed-out the boat. There was a Fine Compound (for scratches) followed by some Finesse-It Glaze, then the Wax.

There is also a web site out there called AutoGeek.net that has a bunch of tips for cars.

kaneboats
07-14-2016, 12:41 AM
Search "wet sand" on here. You may not need to go to the extreme of wetsanding the hull but the rest of the info would be what you are looking for.

russellsmojo
07-15-2016, 01:21 AM
This is exactly the help I needed. Thanks guys.