PDA

View Full Version : Whats this noise?

jeepskinc
07-10-2016, 08:23 PM
Hi All,

Just got back from a week on Lake Gaston here in NC. No issues with my 2008 Outback DD except last Saturday and Sunday I started getting an intermittent sound from best I could tell, the water circulation pump. Seemed to happen after we had been running for a while and engine was getting hot. Just as quickly as the sound started, it no longer happens. Ran the boat Monday - Friday under many different conditions. Slalom ski runs, wake board runs and heavily loaded surf runs. Sound did not occur and engine temp stayed in normal range every day, even when the sound was being made. Here's a link to a video of the engine making the sound.
https://youtu.be/Qw9Qmjo0KAY

Anyone have an idea as to what it may be?

Second question for Direct Drive owners. When your in neutral, is it abnormal to see a very slow rotation on your drive shaft?

Thanks for any input!

kaneboats
07-11-2016, 02:47 AM
Sounds like a water pump to me.

zabooda
07-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Actually happened to me. Recirc water pump failed while on vacation. After about the third day the pulley fell off and that ended the day except to be used as a floating boom box. I started to see the pump vibration start to crack the pulley so everyone knew failure was imminent. I had no water temp issue or leaking of water the whole time.

The prop will rotate when on the trailer and I believe there should be very little rotation when in the water.

ninedriver
07-16-2016, 02:12 PM
Hey jeeps, was that your problem?

Also, have you or anyone else on here replaced their water circulation pump? If so, how did the repair go? Mine just started making a similar sound....

Steve