PDA

View Full Version : GPS Speedometer/Cruise Control glitches

DRHRSH
07-10-2016, 03:52 PM
Hey everyone! We have a 2016 Craz with GPS upgrade. We love the boat BUT have a few problems with the GPS Cruise control. We have owned boats for over 30 yrs. and always got in the habit of turning the engine off when loading a downed skier/wakeboarder, etc. When doing this with the Craz, the speedometer/cruise control is not acquiring the signal quickly enough. I timed it and it took 35 seconds to acquire a signal. If you start to accelerate without receiving a signal, then when it aquires the signal it decelerates and you may dump your surfer.
I complained to the dealer and they installed a new "puck" but it is still the same. Our "go around" is to leave the boat in neutral and idling when starting new surfers. This goes against my safety rules but starting and stopping is a pain!

Is anyone else experiencing these issues? I am almost sorry I upgraded to the GPS system (which wasn't cheap) as my brother has a paddlewheel system and has no issues.

zabooda
07-10-2016, 04:55 PM
Why not connect it to the ignition bypass switch with the stereo and depth finder and keep it energized?

DRHRSH
07-11-2016, 07:41 AM
Why not connect it to the ignition bypass switch with the stereo and depth finder and keep it energized?

I had the same idea, great suggestion, but I need a wiring schematic to find out what wire powers the unit

mmandley
07-11-2016, 07:45 AM
Can't you just leave the key on when you pickup a rider?

When I hit the start on my boat it doesn't shut all power off like my truck does. The stereo, GPS, and accessories stay on.

DRHRSH
07-11-2016, 10:24 PM
Can't you just leave the key on when you pickup a rider?

When I hit the start on my boat it doesn't shut all power off like my truck does. The stereo, GPS, and accessories stay on.

Thanks for the suggestion, but when you turn the key off everything is off. I could then turn it to run without starting it. That has been one of our "go arounds".

zabooda
07-11-2016, 11:20 PM
Put in a SPDT switch. Ignition on one side and unswitched on the other. I have mine on unswitched away from the launch that keeps everything you need to keep powered up when the engine is off.

DRHRSH
07-12-2016, 11:07 PM
Put in a SPDT switch. Ignition on one side and unswitched on the other. I have mine on unswitched away from the launch that keeps everything you need to keep powered up when the engine is off.

What is an SPDT switch?

zabooda
07-13-2016, 12:45 AM
It is a two position switch and sometimes a three position switch with the middle position being off. On the diagram picture, one connection goes to a fused battery connection, the middle connection goes to your accessories and the other connection goes to the ignition switch. Try and match up your switch to the OEM look if you can. I threw one out from Ebay as it may have some similarities. I'd recommend finding someone who tinkers in the world of electrical and electronics as this is rather easy for someone with some experience and using the right tools to get secure connections so not to get loose connections later on. Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-MARINE-BOAT-CAR-Rocker-Switch-12V-SPDT-ON-OFF-ON-4PIN-Green-LED-Light-/222165142752?hash=item33ba130ce0:g:34EAAOSwPYZU9V-n&vxp=mtr

http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/images/SPDT.gif

DRHRSH
07-13-2016, 09:52 PM
It is a two position switch and sometimes a three position switch with the middle position being off. On the diagram picture, one connection goes to a fused battery connection, the middle connection goes to your accessories and the other connection goes to the ignition switch. Try and match up your switch to the OEM look if you can. I threw one out from Ebay as it may have some similarities. I'd recommend finding someone who tinkers in the world of electrical and electronics as this is rather easy for someone with some experience and using the right tools to get secure connections so not to get loose connections later on. Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-MARINE-BOAT-CAR-Rocker-Switch-12V-SPDT-ON-OFF-ON-4PIN-Green-LED-Light-/222165142752?hash=item33ba130ce0:g:34EAAOSwPYZU9V-n&vxp=mtr

http://www.r1200gs.info/howto/images/SPDT.gif

Thanks for the education zabooda! Will see what I can do.

DFTR Josh
07-13-2016, 11:14 PM
Explains the problem I was having with mine, when switching riders I turn the boat off and to ACC. Resets everything then I go to start it again and a few times it didn't catch the perfect pass and went way too fast for the surfer.

Fastest1
07-14-2016, 11:43 AM
SPDT. Single pole double throw. Operates as mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crane man
07-14-2016, 03:23 PM
If you have a spare ACC switch. Run the power from there. I did it to the stereo on mine.

DRHRSH
07-20-2016, 09:38 PM
Explains the problem I was having with mine, when switching riders I turn the boat off and to ACC. Resets everything then I go to start it again and a few times it didn't catch the perfect pass and went way too fast for the surfer.

I am glad to see someone else has the same issue. It just doesn't seem right to me. Skiers Choice says I will void the warranty if I wire it to a switch. Here's their reply:

Subject: RE: GPS ISSUES - DAVE HARTMAN ISRMG282C616
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2016 15:52:12 +0000
To: [email protected] <[email protected]>

No. From the factory standpoint it would have to remain per factory specs. I would assume the customer could run it to a constant hot with an inline switch, but that void warranty if the antenna were to go bad. Being wired to a switch though, they might forget to turn off and shorten the life of the antenna and drain battery. I can't send diagrams as they are proprietary.