PDA

View Full Version : I weighed my 2008 XLV at a truck scale and it was heavier than I'd have thought.

trayson
07-06-2016, 05:57 PM
I have a 2008 XLV on the boatmate trailer. I was kind of surprised at the weight of the boat + trailer when I weighed it.

When I put the rear axles of the trailer on the scale, the weight was 5,500 pounds. Then I weighed the truck with and without the trailer attached to find out that the truck was carrying about 750 pounds of tongue weight.

So 5,500 + 750 = 6,250 of total boat/trailer.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/20160627_131114_zpsrcozuj5l.jpg

The extras I had over dry weight were are follows:

Full tank of gas
Spare trailer wheel/tire (offset by the decrease in weight from losing the steel wheels and going aluminum)
Bow safety chain and rear tiedown ratcheting straps
Normal fluids (oil, etc)
Three Group 29 batteries (1 primary battery probably included in dry weight and 2 extras)
2 wakeboards, 4 surfboards, 1 slalom ski
1 deflated tube
Boat cover
Extra Stereo Wiring and Amps
REV 410 Tower speakers
Two 10" subs and their box
Cargo Bimini
Ballast Pump
Life Jackets and wetsuits and misc supplies
Case of bottled Water
Boat towels
Anchor, shore spike, rope
bouy balls
ballast bags with a little bit of residual water in them

Anyway, I guess it's a good thing that we upgraded the truck from the Ridgeline to the F150.

750 is 12% of my total trailer weight, so that does fall into the 9 to 15% rule of thumb on tongue weight.

Anyway, I found it interesting to know what my boat really weighs. I would have guessed around 5,800 pounds, but I was 450 off.

Boonejeepin
07-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Wonder where I am with 1000lbs of lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
07-06-2016, 07:28 PM
Me + 1000 + surf tabs + a little from your reversibles

That Guy
07-06-2016, 09:31 PM
Wow. I never would have guessed you had that much tongue weight. Are you just using the standard hitch, no weight distributing hitch or anything? What kind of sag do you get in the rear when hooking the boat up? I have an F150 and my boat trailer tongue weight is around 300lbs, the truck doesn't even sag when I drop the trailer on it but I know the F150 hitch is limited to 500lbs w/out a WDH hitch so it's good to know you're having no issues with being so far over that number. Boat and truck look great BTW!

russellsmojo
07-06-2016, 09:47 PM
Good helpful post. I am shocked too since your boat dry weight is 3,600. I need to go get an f250!! Or I need to stay off this forum. It's gettin expensive.

FlatLander7
07-07-2016, 12:20 AM
My Silverado went into the shop today with a rear oil seal leak, pulled the LSV with the wife's Tahoe today with no complaints, it actually did alot better than I expected with highway gears through the hills

wolff supra21v
07-07-2016, 08:14 AM
I weight my Supra 21v two years ago and I was sitting right 5,950 lb but that is with about 800 lb of steel weight in the boat. (that is on a 6000 lb trailer)
After that I took 400 lb of steel weights out and When traveling anything over an hour I put the other 400 in the bed of the truck. I also make sure the trailer is sitting level before any long trips.
I had both front bearings go bad so that go me looking at this.

mmandley
07-07-2016, 09:08 AM
This is a classic reason why I preach so much that people need the proper type of vehicle to tow these boats with.

I haven't weighed my set up while I'm traveling to GA right now but I know I'm a lot heavier in the truck right now because I can feel the difference in stopping.

The boat has a few hundred extra in it due to we are caring the cloths and blankets in it.

Point is, don't ever underestimate your weight on your trucks. You risk more then just your own gear

dusty2221
07-07-2016, 09:13 AM
My duramax feels the weight of the SE. I think it is rated at 7000 or something like that dry, not telling what it is loaded down with everything, including 85 gallons of fuel....

I noticed the other day when pulling the camper that the truck feels like it works harder pulling the boat!

rdlangston13
07-07-2016, 10:52 AM
I have always been interested in what my set up weights and the tongue weight. I found a scare for measuring tongue weight online but it was like $120 and not worth it. if I ever come across a weigh station I might have to check it.

trayson
07-07-2016, 11:23 AM
Wow. I never would have guessed you had that much tongue weight. Are you just using the standard hitch, no weight distributing hitch or anything? What kind of sag do you get in the rear when hooking the boat up? I have an F150 and my boat trailer tongue weight is around 300lbs, the truck doesn't even sag when I drop the trailer on it but I know the F150 hitch is limited to 500lbs w/out a WDH hitch so it's good to know you're having no issues with being so far over that number. Boat and truck look great BTW!

It does squat a bit, but I've also got the 6" lift. I played around a lot with different hitch drops and the like until I found the setup that keeps the trailer as level as possible. I suppose I could decrease the tongue weight a little by not pulling the boat ALL the way up to the point where the bow tiedown loop is in contact with the bow roller. That would put the boat a little further back. As it is, when I'm in all the way, I have a couple inches of bunk on the rear that extend past the stern of the boat. The scale I was on also only goes in 50 pound increments, for what that's worth.

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/20160407_133619_zpslcb0rxi6.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/20160330_081112_zpsfut3zhlc.jpg

I have always been interested in what my set up weights and the tongue weight. I found a scare for measuring tongue weight online but it was like $120 and not worth it. if I ever come across a weigh station I might have to check it.

In Oregon, they leave the scales functioning even when the weigh stations are "closed". so there's some scales on the way to/from Mt Hood that I can pull off and weigh my setup. WA is lame in that they turn off their scales when their stations are un-manned. Boo. I suppose you could always pull your truck and boat to the dump! They have scales there!

dusty2221
07-07-2016, 11:25 AM
A set of airbags would solve that drop!

trayson
07-07-2016, 11:27 AM
A set of airbags would solve that drop!

I'll PM you my address and you can send 'em right over. I'm cool to install them myself. You don't even need to buy me the wireless controller, because I have my big home compressor right by where the boat parks and the truck hitches up...

dusty2221
07-07-2016, 11:34 AM
To Fancy for me, mine is the wired system. I'd hate to send you something I don't have experience with, and I wouldn't want you to not have control on the fly. That manual fill stuff is for the birds ;)

trayson
07-07-2016, 11:51 AM
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/20160330_081112_zpsfut3zhlc.jpg

New question: Those that have an XLV. how far forward do you put your boat on the trailer? do you snug the bow anchor loop ALL the way up to the bow roller like I do?

JHutch
07-07-2016, 11:59 AM
I take my XLV all the way up on the roller. I don't want it bouncing for any reason.

rdlangston13
07-07-2016, 12:30 PM
New question: Those that have an XLV. how far forward do you put your boat on the trailer? do you snug the bow anchor loop ALL the way up to the bow roller like I do?

Pretty sure that is how your supposed to do it. If you find yourself in an emergency stop situation and it is not against the bow roller the boat can slide forward and his the roller and cause a lot of damage.

MJHSupra
07-07-2016, 12:35 PM
Wonder where I am with 1000lbs of lead.

Where did you get your lead? All the tire places around me say no.

That Guy
07-07-2016, 01:08 PM

Maybe try offering them a 12pk. LOL. That's all it took for me to get almost 500lbs of weights.

Dandy21
07-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Full tank of gas
Spare trailer wheel/tire (offset by the decrease in weight from losing the steel wheels and going aluminum)
Bow safety chain and rear tiedown ratcheting straps
Normal fluids (oil, etc)
Three Group 29 batteries (1 primary battery probably included in dry weight and 2 extras)
2 wakeboards, 4 surfboards, 1 slalom ski
1 deflated tube
Boat cover
Extra Stereo Wiring and Amps
REV 410 Tower speakers
Two 10" subs and their box
Cargo Bimini
Ballast Pump
Life Jackets and wetsuits and misc supplies
Case of bottled Water
Boat towels
Anchor, shore spike, rope
bouy balls
ballast bags with a little bit of residual water in them

Good thing the tube was deflated, otherwise the additional air weight would have exceeded safe limits :D

trayson
07-07-2016, 02:03 PM
Good thing the tube was deflated, otherwise the additional air weight would have exceeded safe limits :D

And it stayed deflated! the best tube is the one you don't use!!!!!!!!!!

Poison
07-07-2016, 02:08 PM
I take my XLV all the way up on the roller. I don't want it bouncing for any reason.

I only trailer twice a year nowadays though...once to put it on the lift and one to take it off for the winter. I ran it all the way up on the trailer when we were towing it once/twice a week as well though.

kaneboats
07-07-2016, 02:36 PM
Hmm, we are headed out on vacation in a couple of weeks. Time to poke a hole in the tube so it's not that fun. Heh heh.

beat taco
07-07-2016, 03:15 PM
$230 use to get you air lift 5000 bags with the $50 rebate, now the rebate is $75 on a compressor and $100 if you buy both. So the $291 on a wireless one is really only $191. Plus I can usually find SD truck springs has them a few dollars cheaper on Amazon than on their own site so I call them and save another $10. Lol. But I do it everytime.

Boonejeepin
07-07-2016, 11:47 PM

Leadwake.com