PDA

View Full Version : Dual batteries worth it?

loudsubz
07-06-2016, 09:05 AM
Right now we have the dual battery option from the factory. We are going to be swapping batteries because it looks like ours are worn out. Since we have a cottage and never run anything with the key off for extended periods of time is there any benefit of a dual battery setup?

sivs1
07-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Yes.......

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

zabooda
07-06-2016, 10:50 AM
I do run my stereo for extended times off one battery and never had an issue. Ski boats don't like weight and they don't have a place for one. Try it on one battery for a time and see if you have any issues. The battery does need to be maintained and replaced when it is evident that you have hard cranking. I keep a battery tender on it when not in use.

loudsubz
07-06-2016, 12:02 PM
Yes.......

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

not to be rude but what kind of answer is that? I've always had 1 battery in the boats we have owned before and never had an issue. I can see if you go out on the lake and run a stereo while floating or do stuff with the engine off, but if you don't do that what benefit? When the engine is running the batteries are being charged and the draw is from the ALT unless you are drawing too much then it resorts to the battery but we don't have a stereo that would pull that.

Rorymulderrig
07-06-2016, 12:11 PM
Of all the toys & accessories that I've fitted to my boat the second battery & blue sea add a battery with charge relay has to be the most essential. if your alternator is playing up & you havnt realised or you stop to let the kids play & run the battery below its minimum cranking out put you can always relay on your cranking battery or pair them up to get started & back to the jetty, it gives you that extra security. definitely worth the money.

mazzyel2162
07-06-2016, 12:35 PM
I second sivs1's answer.

Yes

wolfeman131
07-06-2016, 02:17 PM
not to be rude but what kind of answer is that?

concise (with the required 10 characters)

trayson
07-06-2016, 04:04 PM
the benefit is pretty straightforward in your case. You have a backup battery in case your primary battery fails.

So you're the only one that can answer the question if the possibility of getting stranded one day + the cost of lost boating fun from downtime while you get a new battery is worth the price of a battery, battery box, perko switch, and some wiring.

You said from the get-go that you don't use your battery like many of us, so it's not worth addressing the reasons why we do it.

beat taco
07-06-2016, 05:21 PM
the benefit is pretty straightforward in your case. You have a backup battery in case your primary battery fails.

So you're the only one that can answer the question if the possibility of getting stranded one day + the cost of lost boating fun from downtime while you get a new battery is worth the price of a battery, battery box, perko switch, and some wiring.

You said from the get-go that you don't use your battery like many of us, so it's not worth addressing the reasons why we do it.
Boat is already wired, cost is a replacement battery.

trayson
07-06-2016, 05:46 PM
Boat is already wired, cost is a replacement battery.

You're right. I missed that in his description.

So basically is it worth saving $100 on the 2nd battery to have that "just in case" backup. Most of us would say yes.

beat taco
07-06-2016, 05:51 PM
You're right. I missed that in his description.

So basically is it worth saving $100 on the 2nd battery to have that "just in case" backup. Most of us would say yes.
Yes about a tank of gas. Or less if you have a 65 gallon tank.

MLA
07-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Regardless of how one uses their boat or the scope of their house loads, im an advocate for a dual bank setup. Its a nice feeling to have that reserve battery for refiring the boat.

KG's Supra24
07-06-2016, 10:13 PM
I interpreted sivs braille as the last two posts

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

loudsubz
07-07-2016, 09:33 AM
thank you kindly for all thorouh replies. I think I was under valuing the setup in my initial post so I will just get new batteries. Batteries seem to be more expensive up here (Canada) so I was looking around $150 for the basic ones to $250 for the AGM

kaneboats
07-07-2016, 11:00 AM
Another point is that you will always here the "experts" tell you to replace your batteries together. That is not always wise and not necessary if you don't run them together. I keep my two batteries isolated so I always have a fully charged backup battery ready to go (like you, not much down time sitting around jamming in a cove). I like to replace one every two years. That way I always have one that's a little older and one that's much newer. It has worked out great so far.

trayson
07-07-2016, 11:25 AM
thank you kindly for all thorouh replies. I think I was under valuing the setup in my initial post so I will just get new batteries. Batteries seem to be more expensive up here (Canada) so I was looking around $150 for the basic ones to $250 for the AGM

I don't see any need to get expensive AGM batteries. Go to Walmart or Costco and get a pair of their lead acid marine deep cycle batteries and call it a day.

Darter
07-08-2016, 11:31 PM
We boat from our cottage too. Just one battery, and use a small solar tender to keep the battery fresh if we run the stereo for a few hours. Haven't had an issue yet.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Darter
07-08-2016, 11:34 PM
I don't see any need to get expensive AGM batteries. Go to Walmart or Costco and get a pair of their lead acid marine deep cycle batteries and call it a day.
Do you guys start your boats with deep cycle batteries? I tried that for a while but burned the battery out in short order.

zabooda
07-09-2016, 09:50 PM
Do you guys start your boats with deep cycle batteries? I tried that for a while but burned the battery out in short order.

Deep cycle batteries are to be charged and discharged slowly and used as a starting battery will ruin them rather quickly.

zabooda
07-09-2016, 10:16 PM
I didn't realize the changes in batteries. They have starting/deep cycle batteries that does the trick.

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0149.pdf

beat taco
07-10-2016, 12:26 AM
As far as I'm concerned here's a great deal on re-stickered Exide AGM batteries with free shipping!
http://www.ruralking.com/battery-auto-agm-rk-agm24dp.html

cornrickey
07-10-2016, 01:41 AM
Being that you don't spend all day on the boat with having a cabin and assuming you have power @the dock , I would recommend a hard wired charger instead of another battery.

Isaguel
07-10-2016, 10:00 AM
Just slightly off topic but along the dual battery line of questions.
I have the dual battery with the turning knob where I can put in on battery 1, 2 or dual or off. During regular operation, is there a reason I would use the dual battery position? I usually run it on battery 1.

beat taco
07-10-2016, 10:55 AM
I have the dual battery with the turning knob where I can put in on battery 1, 2 or dual or off. During regular operation, is there a reason I would use the dual battery position? I usually run it on battery 1.
Only to charge both batteries. I have the same setup with 3 batteries. 2 of the batteries are on the #2 post, with my third battery on #1. I always run it in the #2 position and only switch to #1 if I kill my other two batteries. I also have a built in charger so I don't need to worry about using the boat to charge the battery. If you don't shore charge that would be the only reason I would run the switch in "all" mode, and I would only do it long enough to charge the batteries and go back to 1 or 2, keeping a fully charged reserve battery jic.

MLA
07-10-2016, 01:10 PM

Sure. Theres only 2 DONTS with that switch. Dont anchor on BOTH and dont turn the switch to OFF while engine is running.