PDA

View Full Version : Bent prop, strut and shaft

Rugburn
07-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Last night I did what I always feared would happen. I bent my prop, strut and shaft. I was only going at idle and I must have hit a rock. Hit hard enough to stall the motor. The vibrating ride back to the dock was a long slow one. I dropped it off at the dealer this morning and they dont seem to think it will be longer than a week. Im as careful as any boater out there and I have to just put it down to bad luck. I have to admit, I thought those parts would have sustained a hit like that a little better than they did, especially at idle speed. Thank goodness for insurance.

qb12
07-14-2006, 05:33 PM
Rug, what kind of prop. Stainless or niberal.

db

Rugburn
07-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Stock prop, looks like brass.

JoeTechie
07-14-2006, 07:22 PM
NiBrAl = NIckel + BRass + ALuminum Very high tensile strength and durability.

"Brass props" were a bronze alloy of Copper, Tin and Manganese. Much softer.

Most of the information about Stainless vs any other prop - are based on this older comparrison, and that of Aluminum props. Since NiBrAl is MUCH stronger than both of those, and in most cases equal to that of Stainless. They are not really applicable anymore.

Aluminum Props have a tensile strength of about 35,000 lbs.
Manganese Bronze Props - about 60,000 lbs.
Stainless Steel - about 75,000 lbs

NiBrAl can range from 65,000-95,000 lbs !

It is time to put the stainless = stronger myth to rest. Stainless is harder to fix, and therefore really no reason to have a SS prop on a Tow Boat.

-J

Rugburn
07-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the background info on the metals Joe. One thing about my accident, I doubt a depth guage would have helped me in this instance. Ive been meaning to get one for some time now. Anybody else have close calls that your depth guage helped you out of or are they just for peace of mind?

superman
07-16-2006, 08:36 PM
I would not even go out with out my gauge. I think i watch it to much. I would advise you get one.
________
marijuana strain green crack (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/green-crack)

smokedog2
07-16-2006, 09:01 PM
A depth gauge is not optional IMHO.

Yes it helps

Yellowmobius
07-17-2006, 08:23 AM
Rug,

I did the same thing this year, only it was a submerged tree. I also hit at idle. took out the prop, drive shaft and strut. Boat shop ordered the parts on Monday and I had my boat back on Thursday night. $1500.00 - Insurance is getting most of it.

NCSUmoomba
07-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Are you guys sure you bent the shaft and strut as well, or is the dealer just telling you that? I hit a rock at about 10mph and it tore a chunk out of my prop about the size of my index finger. The boat had a horrible vibration the rest of the day. Yeah, I know it was dumb to keep driving it, but my friends and I were out at the lake having a cookout and wakeboarding fun the day before we all graduated college, so I couldn't let that ruin our day. Anyway, I replaced the prop, tightened my shaft seal and everything is fine. There is no vibration whatsoever. So just make sure you are having parts replaced that actually need replacing. As hard as I hit that rock with the prop spinning as fast as it was, I find it hard to believe that you guys prop shafts got bent and mine didn't. Good luck.

Rugburn
07-17-2006, 07:02 PM
I was hoping that it as only the prop but I the prop itself was pushed off center to the left of the rudder. I definately bent the strut. Dealer says since insurance is paying for it, to replace the shaft too since they dont need much of a bump to get out of tolerance. Since my boat is a 2002 (and assuming this is the original shaft) and Im sure its taken its fair share of hits in its life, I agreed and am having it replaced.

Yellowmobius
07-17-2006, 08:19 PM
I could see the bend in the strut as well as the shaft (if you rolled it on a flat surface)

MEDIC151
07-25-2006, 12:13 AM
I hit a stump and bent the shaft and strut and it was obvious. The strut was bent to the left and luckily there was no glass damage. I think I got screwed on the prop, since it is not the same on that was on the boat when I got it 3 months ago and the dealer said they sent it to be rebalanced. I am calling tomorrow to find the other one. 2100.00 later and I am back in business.

Medic

Rugburn
07-25-2006, 09:13 AM
UPDATE: Dealer says the prop, strut, shaft and rudder are all bent. All that damage for only traveling at idle speed. It has be scratching my head. Dealer has had the boat since July 14 and it is now July 25 and its still being worked on. Total cost: $2400.

I want my boat back. :(

Smrtz
07-25-2006, 09:23 AM
We feel for you Rugburn :(

Rugburn
07-29-2006, 11:41 AM
UPDATE:

I went to pick up my boat yesterday from the dealer. I got a call from my insurance agent that he just got off the phone with the dealer and it was ready to be picked up. When I drove the hour and a half to get there, they were just finishing it up. They said the caulk around the floor had to dry and when I get it home I should trim it. Me? Trim? Shouldnt that be done already? Once they pulled the boat around front and I got to take a look at it, I saw red. The inside was a disaster. The seats, floor and dash all had greasy dirty fingerprints and footprints all over it. That is by far the worst that my boat has ever looked. I checked out the prop and shaft that they replaced and they both had caulked smeared on them, like the mechanic was cleaning the caulk off his fingers. I asked for the manager to come out front to see the condition of the boat. When he came out, he immediately got defensive, blamed my insurance company, blamed me for coming too early, etc. I was hoping to hear, "I'll take care of it" or "sorry about that". I told him I never demanded to take the boat, his Tech said it was ready. If he would have asked for me to kill an hour while they get it cleaned up, I would have done it. The manager was very unprofessional, and condesending. I wasnt expecting my boat to have a hand wax, but it should be in the same condition as it was when I dropped it off. As far as Im concerned, this dealer has burned a bridge. I will NEVER take my boat back there nor EVER consider buying a boat from him. Any Moomba owner that I come across in my area begins talking dealers, he will get a strong recommendation from me to stay away from that guy.