PDA

View Full Version : Broken ballast pump connector

North Woods Mobius
07-03-2016, 11:35 PM
Went out Friday morning for some surfing, and I wondered why my port locker was taking forever to fill.... Saw this:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160704/9dafcbc51e0c4204cba08e3e706ddef6.jpg

I was able to hit the local Ace Hardware store in town to pick up a PVC replacement part and get back on the water, but has this failed for any of you guys as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russellsmojo
07-03-2016, 11:38 PM
Mine has never broken. The drain came loose one day. It had the ballast pumps all confused. They said it was full but it was really empty. If there was not an ace close you could just pull the fuse on the bilge so it would not kick on and then surf like crazy!! Might be best wave ever.

North Woods Mobius
07-04-2016, 10:08 AM
The funny thing is that it was actually the bilge pump that alerted me to the problem. About 5 min into filling the bags, the bilge kicked in and was shooting a full stream of water out the vent line, prompting me to I start looking for where the water was coming from.... Good thing the sensor/float was working on the bilge pump, otherwise I would have been limping back to my dock full of water in ALL compartments!

russellsmojo
07-04-2016, 07:02 PM
For sure. Just joking. I was very thankful my bilge kicked on. We were surfing I thought "we are riding low today". Popped hatch bag less than half full. Popped engine compartment and went oh crap!!

MLA
07-04-2016, 07:19 PM
Where is that elbow in relation to the sac? Look to me, to be very exposed to movement. I would consider eliminating it or anchoring the other side of it to that wall using some hose/cable anchors. Eliminating it would be the most ideal, but may require a single length of hose and re-routing it.

North Woods Mobius
07-05-2016, 12:21 AM
Where is that elbow in relation to the sac? Look to me, to be very exposed to movement. I would consider eliminating it or anchoring the other side of it to that wall using some hose/cable anchors. Eliminating it would be the most ideal, but may require a single length of hose and re-routing it.

MLA,

You're totally right, it does seem unnecessarily fragile. My picture cuts it off at the far left, but the hose runs from the elbow and ends up as a quick connect fitting for the sac. It is indeed connected to a clip to secure it to the floor to minimize movement, but I think I'll add some additional clips to keep it from moving. Not an ideal feat of engineering from SC, but nothing that some screws and a little duct tape can't sort out:cool:

mazzyel2162
07-05-2016, 05:27 AM
I agree - get rid of the joint and get an extra long flex hose from your local irrigation supply and allow for it to have some degrees of freedom (HD and Lowes does not carry this size).

Wonder why in the world they would put a joint in there???

wolfeman131
07-05-2016, 01:51 PM
Not an ideal feat of engineering from SC

if the end of the hose that attaches to the bag was still secured in the clip that is anchored to the floor, then I would suspect the elbow (that was supplied by others to SC) simply failed. Each SC boat I have owned had that 90 degree elbow and I've never had an issue.

mazzyel2162
07-05-2016, 02:11 PM
you don't have your boats long enough for it to become an issue!

Mine does not have the 90 fitting (nor is it needed). The hose comes out from the corner and is then attached to the the pump wall - with plenty of slack to move around to connect to the sac.