PDA

View Full Version : Lots of exhaust from 2007 Outback DD

Klipper
07-02-2016, 09:56 PM
Hi guys, I went surfing today and it seems like the boat had a hard time with the load... I had two 750lbs bags on each side of the engine and a 350lbs under the rear seat. I was using my suck gate and 4 people in the boat.

After about 1 hour of surfing, there was a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust and we decided we should give the boat a rest....

Any thoughts on this? We have surfed this boat for the last few years but never with a suck gate.

Is the whole setup too much for a DD? Would a different prop make a difference? I know my prop is a ski prop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to do any damage to the engine.

Thanks.

kaneboats
07-03-2016, 12:47 AM
First off you really have to put some weight up front. Do a search on hear for "Outback Surf" "wave" or something similar to get some setup help. Good luck!

Klipper
07-03-2016, 04:08 PM
I used to put weight up front before I had the suck gate to lengthen the wave, but now the suck gate does a great job of that so I moved the 400lbs to the back.

How much ballast is too much in the Outback DD?

mazzyel2162
07-04-2016, 07:33 AM
When I had a 2003 OB DD, I use to run 1100 lbs along the back and 800 on the surf side and up to 6 people in the boat.

No issues at all.

For poops and giggles, inspect your engine manifolds while tooling around the water and under no load.

My 2009 started putting out a lot of exhaust when one of the manifolds cracked.

Jordy Dag
07-04-2016, 09:07 PM
I weight up my outback with my fly high IBS approx 600 lbs, and up to 1400 lbs in the rear. Then people... it never struggles with the suck gate and Im running the stock prop. Define smoking, what were your temps? Oil pressure?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Klipper
07-05-2016, 02:35 PM
Temp was good, 180, oil was good, just seemed like it was putting out more exhaust than usual.... more smoke. Maybe I need more weight in the bow to help it out. That's where I used to put the stock ballast bag.

Jordy Dag
07-05-2016, 03:05 PM
More weight up front will help and lengthen the pocket, but the smoke issue still bothers me. As mentioned, I would buy a cheap temp laser (lordco has them) and check the manifolds. If they are partially plugged, they might not be putting enough water into the fiberglass exhaust tubes and the smoke could be your exhaust burning up.

Jordy Dag
07-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Another thing to mention, how many hours? Last tune up? Could be unburnt fuel...