PDA

View Full Version : Help! Boats runs then won't crank!

CMAC21
07-02-2016, 08:02 PM
So this happened last week and I thought I fixed it with a fuel flyer last week.

So here's the problem:
I put it in the water this morning, ran about 20 minutes then pulled up and parked at the pier for about 2 hours. We got in after lunch going to ride, pulled tubes for about 30 min or so and anchored up to some friends to swim. Boat was off as we swam for about an hour. We got back in the surf and it turns over fine but will not crank at all. It has a brand new fuel filter in it. It would eventually crank after about 10 min but sounded awful and wouldn't go into gear. It doesn't even idle smooth. But idles less when I put it into gear(I wouldn't really call it idling-sounds really rough). I opened the gas to see if it was vapor lock and that wasn't it. AND HERES THE KICKER.... Once I was towed back to dock and got a ride to go around a get my trailer, when I got back to trailer it, it cranks fine and trailered with no problem. This is the exact thing that happened last weekend but I thought I fixed it with the fuel filter. Apparently not. Please Help! I'd hate to take it to the dealer and not have it for a few weeks at the least b/c they can't get to it.

Things I've tried:
New fuel filter
Opened gas to see if it's vapor lock
Took the fuel like off filter and see if it pulling which it is.
I've run sea-foam, sta-bil marine.
Chevron gas, same that's in my truck.

kaneboats
07-03-2016, 12:43 AM
You better do a search on "vapor lock" on here. It is a sneaky thing that will get you even when you do everything right. Just be ready and stay ahead of it.d

moombahighrider
07-05-2016, 10:37 AM
So this happened last week and I thought I fixed it with a fuel flyer last week.

So here's the problem:
I put it in the water this morning, ran about 20 minutes then pulled up and parked at the pier for about 2 hours. We got in after lunch going to ride, pulled tubes for about 30 min or so and anchored up to some friends to swim. Boat was off as we swam for about an hour. We got back in the surf and it turns over fine but will not crank at all. It has a brand new fuel filter in it. It would eventually crank after about 10 min but sounded awful and wouldn't go into gear. It doesn't even idle smooth. But idles less when I put it into gear(I wouldn't really call it idling-sounds really rough). I opened the gas to see if it was vapor lock and that wasn't it. AND HERES THE KICKER.... Once I was towed back to dock and got a ride to go around a get my trailer, when I got back to trailer it, it cranks fine and trailered with no problem. This is the exact thing that happened last weekend but I thought I fixed it with the fuel filter. Apparently not. Please Help! I'd hate to take it to the dealer and not have it for a few weeks at the least b/c they can't get to it.

Things I've tried:
New fuel filter
Opened gas to see if it's vapor lock
Took the fuel like off filter and see if it pulling which it is.
I've run sea-foam, sta-bil marine.
Chevron gas, same that's in my truck.

I know you say it's not vapor lock, but opening the fuel filler cap will not alleviate it. What you describe is definitely vapor lock. The only fix I have found to work is to pour cold water (for me lake water does fine) on the fuel pump to release the lock. It will crank right up and you will be on your way.

23scuba
07-06-2016, 11:41 PM
Same problem for me last year was my ignition switch.. 08 LSV

CMAC21
07-07-2016, 12:09 AM
Same problem for me last year was my ignition switch.. 08 LSV

What'd it cost you to replace that? Was it an easy swap?

CMAC21
07-07-2016, 12:11 AM
Seems like it is vapor lock. How it has been running then wouldn't but would run again. Sounds like the the case but just wish we didn't have to deal with the vapor lock

23scuba
07-07-2016, 03:14 AM
What'd it cost you to replace that? Was it an easy swap?

I think it was around $60 or so at the dealer.. Yes it was an easy swap just unplug and plug it back in the mount it in the dash.. I had the vapor lock issue on my 05 that would be an easy diagnosis though pour a little water on the fuel pump and if it fires up its vapor lock.. I learned that starting my blower before I shut it off and letting it run for a good 5 mins after shut off seemed to cure mine though.. What year is yours?

23scuba
07-07-2016, 03:17 AM
Seems like it is vapor lock. How it has been running then wouldn't but would run again. Sounds like the the case but just wish we didn't have to deal with the vapor lock

My key switch was intermittent sometimes I would be pulling it off the trailer and it wouldn't start just turn over the sometimes it would start everytime then just all of the sudden after stopping to swim or something it just wouldn't start out of the blue or was the strangest thing to diagnose because there was no rhyme or reason as to when it would do it..

CMAC21
07-07-2016, 09:13 AM
My key switch was intermittent sometimes I would be pulling it off the trailer and it wouldn't start just turn over the sometimes it would start everytime then just all of the sudden after stopping to swim or something it just wouldn't start out of the blue or was the strangest thing to diagnose because there was no rhyme or reason as to when it would do it..

It's an 06 lsv. The switch deal sounds like my problem when it would cut out and come back in. Sounds a lot like it. The other really sounds like vapor lock. I'm going to see next time it does it, I'm going to pour some water on it and see if it fixes it.

VA LSV
07-08-2016, 11:22 AM
It would eventually crank after about 10 min but sounded awful and wouldn't go into gear. It doesn't even idle smooth. But idles less when I put it into gear

This is vapor lock for sure.