PDA

View Full Version : Boats runs, then sounds bad and won't run! Help!

CMAC21
07-02-2016, 07:42 PM
So this happened last week and I thought I fixed it with a fuel flyer last week.

So here's the problem:
I put it in the water this morning, ran about 20 minutes then pulled up and parked at the pier for about 2 hours. We got in after lunch going to ride, pulled tubes for about 30 min or so and anchored up to some friends to swim. Boat was off as we swam for about an hour. We got back in the surf and it turns over fine but will not crank at all. It has a brand new fuel filter in it. It would eventually crank after about 10 min but sounded awful and wouldn't go into gear. It doesn't even idle smooth. But idles less when I put it into gear(I wouldn't really call it idling-sounds really rough). I opened the gas to see if it was vapor lock and that wasn't it. AND HERES THE KICKER.... Once I was towed back to dock and got a ride to go around a get my trailer, when I got back to trailer it, it cranks fine and trailered with no problem. This is the exact thing that happened last weekend but I thought I fixed it with the fuel filter. Apparently not. Please Help! I'd hate to take it to the dealer and not have it for a few weeks at the least b/c they can't get to it.

Things I've tried:
New fuel filter
Opened gas to see if it's vapor lock
Took the fuel like off filter and see if it pulling which it is.
I've run sea-foam, sta-bil marine.
Chevron gas, same that's in my truck.

brain_rinse
07-02-2016, 09:12 PM
What do you mean by open the gas to see if it's vapor lock?

CMAC21
07-02-2016, 09:18 PM
I've heard of vapor lock and but didnt really know exactly what it was. i was told it could help by opening the gas, where you pour it in). That's what he suggested. Tried it, didn't work.

FlatLander7
07-02-2016, 09:27 PM
You check fuel pump?

brain_rinse
07-02-2016, 09:53 PM
I've heard of vapor lock and but didnt really know exactly what it was. i was told it could help by opening the gas, where you pour it in). That's what he suggested. Tried it, didn't work.

I think it is vapor lock, but opening the gas cap won't fix it. Pouring cool water on the fuel pump itself would do the trick though.

CMAC21
07-02-2016, 10:49 PM
You check fuel pump?

Fuel pump has to work bc when I loaded it on the trailer, it's fine. You wouldn't think anything was wrong with it when I trailered it. Crazy. Vapor lock sounds like it after reading about it. It was around 100 or so today I think here

CMAC21
07-02-2016, 10:52 PM
I think it is vapor lock, but opening the gas cap won't fix it. Pouring cool water on the fuel pump itself would do the trick though.

Is vapor lock common? That seems like that wouldn't happen but sounds like it's exactly what happened. This is my next question. Is there a fix for this? Will it vapor while driving and stop? Do I just pour water on it every time?

brain_rinse
07-02-2016, 10:59 PM
I think running your blower and opening the engine compartment after sitting for a long time can help. I'm not sure if there is a real fix.

FamilyMatters
07-03-2016, 12:19 AM
He Is Right it is Vapor Lock and there is no fix, though I've been told by the SC dealer about a fix of mounting another fuel pump in the line, but it's easy to manage around it. Turn Blower on when you stop, especially after a long run, will usually keep it from happening. If it happens, a cup of Ice water poured right on the fuel pump instantly fixes mine

Definition: Vapor lock is a problem that mostly affects gasoline-fueled internal combustion engines.

It occurs when the liquid fuel changes state from liquid to gas while still in the fuel delivery system. This disrupts the operation of the fuel pump, causing loss of feed pressure to the carburetor or fuel injection system, resulting in transient loss of power or complete stalling. Restarting the engine from this state may be difficult.
That's from Wikipedia.

CMAC21
07-03-2016, 01:01 AM
Thanks FamilyMatters and Dan. I put it on the trailer but we are still down at our house. Im going to putnit in the water in the morning and hope for the best. Im going to run my blower most of the time and go from there. Thanks guys for the help. I appreciate and hope that solves it. I'll post how tomorrow goes

CMAC21
07-04-2016, 06:42 PM
So yesterday the boat ran fine. Kept the blower on the whole time and when we stopped to swim, I opened the hatch. Never had any problems. Surfed and tubed. So today I had to go work for a few hours and I just got back to the water and found out the boat started sputtering earlier and they parked it. Haven't ran it yet so I don't know. It's frustrating. It has a new fuel filter in it. Fixing to go out and try again. Hoping for the best. I don't want to take it to the dealer, bc I've got a feeling it will be there a while. Several weeks maybe 4 or so. I'm lost on the sputtering. It happened last year and I changed the fuel filter and it stopped. Now it has a new fuel filter and sputtered in the throttle( while pulling)

dusty2221
07-04-2016, 06:50 PM
Pouring a bottle of cold water on it like recommend earlier will solve it everytime. Going to the dealer will accomplish you nothing.

jimmylsv
07-04-2016, 07:49 PM
I got bit by vaporlock for second time today in 10 years. 2006 LSV HAD SINCE NEW. About 95 and real humid. Started boat did not leave blower on. Today used my boat for 2 hours riding and cruising. Came back to dock grilled out? About hour later fired up boat ran like crap, turned off would not start back up tried for couple minutes. I went up to house added couple handfuls ice to a water jug. Poured about 8 ounces on fuel pump.
Fired boat up ran great, left blower on went boarding for 2 more hours.
The only reason I knew what to do was I've read about it on this forum.

JHutch
07-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Here is what I am told is a permanent fix:

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2903

Mine is a 2008 that already has 2 fuel pumps but the are mounted right next to each other. I am contemplating buying this kit and relocating the low pressure pump to the V-Drive area. Any relocate the pump on their boat?

CMAC21
07-05-2016, 10:30 AM
That's crazy that we have to do this to fix something that came from that manufacturer ya know. Well I don't know for sure if I'll do that yet. I ran it yesterday afternoon for a while and never had a problem but it had cooled down some, temp wise. It's just always in the back of my mind that it might not crank.

dusty2221
07-05-2016, 11:46 AM
At least now you know the exact fix for on the spot when it happens and can avoid a trip to the dealer. Tons of us have dealt with it, just make sure you have a cold water in the cooler and you are set.

As long as you know where to pour, you are good to go.

CMAC21
07-05-2016, 11:53 AM
I haven't poured yet. Is there a specific spot to pour it on? I see the two wires coming in the top and the metal hose like fitting coming out the top.. Is that the right spot? I haven't done it yet

VA LSV
07-05-2016, 12:07 PM
That's it. Hit the fuel line too. Doesn't take a lot. Listen for the fuel pump when you turn the key on. If it's vapor locked the pump won't run. The safety lanyard also keeps the fuel pump from running but allows the engine to crank.

wolfeman131
07-05-2016, 01:29 PM
That's crazy that we have to do this to fix something that came from that manufacturer ya know.

When your boat left the factory in 2006, you could hardly find gas that contained ethanol. Once ethanol became an everyday additive to gasoline, Skier's Choice (and other manufacturers) developed a fix.

FamilyMatters
07-05-2016, 10:02 PM
That's what they said in 2009 when mine was manufactured as well, 2 years after the Federal Mandate.
When did they start manufacturing with the two pumps?
I just pour water over mine when it wont run, and explain to my friends why a $36,000 boat requires a cup of water poured over it to run when it's hot! (It's always hot in the summer in GA)
It wont strand you, just keep the blower on, prop the clam shell up, and pour a cup of ice water on it after every stop and it will work just fine! Really!
It's only happened 3 times this month.
Peace
Darren

Kateh
07-06-2016, 01:25 AM
My 1999 Mobius has been doing a similar thing, but feels
Like it is choking out while pulling a skier. High speeds and high RPMs will bring it on after about 4 hrs of use. It never dies tho... Just kind of surges. Surfing and wakeboarding don't seem to affect it. It has no problems starting. Put in a new carburator, thinking that was the problem with no change. New high power fuel pump too. Sea foam, Heet, and ethanol free fuel. Does anyone have any ideas?

brain_rinse
07-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Like it is choking out while pulling a skier. High speeds and high RPMs will bring it on after about 4 hrs of use. It never dies tho... Just kind of surges. Surfing and wakeboarding don't seem to affect it. It has no problems starting. Put in a new carburator, thinking that was the problem with no change. New high power fuel pump too. Sea foam, Heet, and ethanol free fuel. Does anyone have any ideas?
You've already replaced the big ticket items so may as well do the smaller maintenance things if you haven't already: fuel filter, rotor/cap, plugs and wires.

zabooda
07-06-2016, 10:37 AM

My 98 never had high speed issues but I've had the engine sporadically cutting out and then back in at different rpms. I replaced the electronic ignition twice in the boat in a span of 10 years and each time it fixed the problem. The second time I thought it was a carb issue and had it rebuilt which it probably needed after 15 years of use. No vapor lock here.