PDA

View Full Version : Tower speakers driving me insane

joshdv
07-01-2016, 09:14 PM
I have been going crazy trying to figure out why my tower speakers make a static noise, even when the volume is turned all the way down (when I turn the volume up you can't really hear it, but I think it is still happening). The in boat speakers that are connected directly to head unit sound fine.

Here is what I have tried: new amp, ran a new ground straight from battery to amp, ran new speaker wire, different RCAs, and STILL have the same sound coming from all 4 of the tower speakers. I have tested the tower speakers by running a wire from an in boat speaker and they sound perfect so I don't think it is the tower speaker.

Any idea?? Before I throw these things in the lake

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Mwcraz
07-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Have you checked the wires in the tower? You can tie string to the wires and pull them out. Many times a small wear spot can be causing a small short or ground. Does the sound change when you rev the engine?

joshdv
07-02-2016, 12:32 AM
Have you checked the wires in the tower? You can tie string to the wires and pull them out. Many times a small wear spot can be causing a small short or ground. Does the sound change when you rev the engine?

I figured it had something to do with the wires getting a short in the tower, because it wasn't that bad until this year which I had the tower down over the winter. But I ran a wire straight from the amp to the speaker (before i took the time in going through the tower) and it made the same sounds:-?

And nah doesn't change if I rev the engine that I am aware of

jtatexc
07-02-2016, 01:23 AM
Could it be a bad channel on head unit? I had very same issue with my old one and it was just connection with the rca wires behind the deck but makes me wonder if something is up with that channel coming off the stereo?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Connolly_Crew
07-02-2016, 05:34 AM
MLA?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lee
07-02-2016, 07:09 AM
Try running a ground from the amp to the head unit.

jmvotto
07-02-2016, 07:58 AM
Try swapping the RCA for the in boats to the tower and see if it goes away, then it's the channel.

joshdv
07-06-2016, 05:59 PM
Thought I had it fixed... Ran a new ground wire to the amp and it sounded great in the backyard. Then when I took it out for the 4th it is now making engine noises?? Only at low volume it seems.... Hopefully this will help diagnose?

lee
07-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Did you run a ground wire from the amp to the head unit?

joshdv
07-06-2016, 10:49 PM
Did you run a ground wire from the amp to the head unit?

I will look into that... Where should I get the ground on the amp?

lee
07-07-2016, 05:53 AM
I will look into that... Where should I get the ground on the amp?

Where the ground to the battery is going.