PDA

View Full Version : Which board to choose?

blackcup
07-01-2016, 12:52 PM
I've got a buddy who is pushing 250lbs and he has never got to drop the rope before. The guys at our surf shop are letting me demo a board for him ... but I can only take 1 for the day.

What do you suggest?

Skurfer 4' 11" Manta Ray
5' LF TC Skim
CWB AMG Carbon 4' 11"

He seems as though he favours a skimmy board over surf.

icemanftr
07-01-2016, 06:07 PM
I have CWB amg carbon and it's a bullet. I'm 6'4" 230 and I can ride in the pocket all day. It's really fast. Just don't expect any spins on it, it's like glue in the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

c h r i s
07-03-2016, 05:55 PM
Curious to see what you find out blackcup. I'm looking for a new board as I think the 4.9' Obrien haze I have is a bit on the small size for my 230lbs. I can go ropeless but not near as far back as my buddies 170lb kid.

Based on some other reviews in various forums I was looking into the Hyperlite Broadcast.

Will have to look into these others you listed too.

blackcup
07-03-2016, 06:02 PM
I have CWB amg carbon and it's a bullet. I'm 6'4" 230 and I can ride in the pocket all day. It's really fast. Just don't expect any spins on it, it's like glue in the water.

NICE ... Ok we will give this one a shot. I'll post back with results.

That Guy
07-03-2016, 06:35 PM
Watching...

icemanftr
07-03-2016, 10:01 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160704/c8775bed5baf765f71b9586f93350dc2.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160704/e0e4bdfc71718ef25732015afefd379e.jpg

wolfeman131
07-04-2016, 12:12 AM
Just dropped price on this one:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?27716-Phase-5-Rio-58-quot

icemanftr
07-04-2016, 01:38 AM
NICE ... Ok we will give this one a shot. I'll post back with results.

Check eBay. I picked mine up for 250 shipped from dealer on east coast who couldn't move its stock.

Wax
07-08-2016, 12:13 AM
I'm 225-230 depending on the day, and I ride a Humanoid Lip Stick for skim. It's fast as can be and spins very easily. I think I may have PMd you the other day with info and a discount code. Too bad he's not nearby and could come try it out! Curious to see how the cwb works out!

trayson
07-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Curious to see what you find out blackcup. I'm looking for a new board as I think the 4.9' Obrien haze I have is a bit on the small size for my 230lbs. I can go ropeless but not near as far back as my buddies 170lb kid.

Based on some other reviews in various forums I was looking into the Hyperlite Broadcast.

Will have to look into these others you listed too.

The broadcast is a dog. beginner board that you'd get bored with and outgrow quickly. I don't know many people that ride them after a season.

PuraVida
07-08-2016, 12:55 PM
I'm 230lbs and recent purchased the 60" Liquid Force TC Skim. It was recommended as a good skim board for a heavier rider. They even come in a size larger than I purchased. So far I love it. Landed a 360 in the first session, something that i have been struggling to do consistently with my Hyperlite Quad (surf style board). It also has great speed and pops off the wave pretty well. I haven't gotten to ride to many boards but I would certainly recommended it to the heavier rider looking for a skim style board.

c h r i s
07-08-2016, 12:58 PM
The broadcast is a dog. beginner board that you'd get bored with and outgrow quickly. I don't know many people that ride them after a season.

Thanks, good to know. I'm looking to stay under $450, no where near ready for a custom but want something I can grow into (skill, not size). Looking harder at the AMG.

russellsmojo
07-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Thanks, good to know. I'm looking to stay under $450, no where near ready for a custom but want something I can grow into (skill, not size). Looking harder at the AMG.

I rode the cwb voodoo and it was a solid board for the money. Fast enough for us rookies that are learning the sport. But good enough for an experienced person to throw a trick. I ended up going with soul craft because I figured I would want to upgrade in short period so why not get one that I can keep for a long time. Overall investment lower this way than buying and trading up. Also, being new I found the surf style board made learning even easier.

Woody929
07-08-2016, 04:26 PM
I ended up going with soul craft

I was wondering what you decided to do. You need to stay off of these forums! 😉💵💵

c h r i s
07-08-2016, 04:32 PM
I figured I would want to upgrade in short period so why not get one that I can keep for a long time. Overall investment lower this way

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm normally a proponent of buy once-cry once but I'm so damn green I'm not sure if I'm a surfer, skimmer or somewhere in between. And I don't mind investing some extra $ provided the boards can serve as general boat boards for friends that tag along.

russellsmojo
07-08-2016, 05:04 PM
Yeah don't get me wrong, I'm normally a proponent of buy once-cry once but I'm so damn green I'm not sure if I'm a surfer, skimmer or somewhere in between. And I don't mind investing some extra $ provided the boards can serve as general boat boards for friends that tag along.

I agree on the money. From what I can tell there is no end in sight to boat ownership spending. friends are getting the ole broadcast until they start paying for gas. Haha! Check out the voodoo. I really liked it and I think the price was $400 ish.

icemanftr
07-08-2016, 05:53 PM
I agree on the money. From what I can tell there is no end in sight to boat ownership spending. friends are getting the ole broadcast until they start paying for gas. Haha! Check out the voodoo. I really liked it and I think the price was $400 ish.

Lol My friends don't even get to come out on the boat unless they pay up. Way I see it they pay to play or just hang out. I burn more fuel carrying their ass around on lake. So even when they pay to play, they get the boat board. I won't let them ride my 4-600$ boards.

c h r i s
07-10-2016, 11:35 AM
What about the Ronix Koal Skimmer? Found a 4'9" for $350.

icemanftr
07-10-2016, 12:02 PM
What about the Ronix Koal Skimmer? Found a 4'9" for $350.

Ridden 5 different Ronix boards and not too impressed. I sold the two I had if that helps.

Ericgonz
07-10-2016, 03:31 PM
I am 6'0 230lbs and found finally after several boards later that the phase 5 model x works great for me.

jmvotto
07-10-2016, 09:16 PM
Model X is great won't find it in that price range

fairlydangerous1
07-12-2016, 01:55 PM

yep, slow board. Easy to learn on but slow board for an adult.

c h r i s
07-12-2016, 02:56 PM
yep, slow board. Easy to learn on but slow board for an adult.

Roger. Ok, last one for now until I hear about Blackcup's buddies thoughts...what about the Hyperlite HiFi? Read some promising reviews in some other threads and there are some slightly discounted factory blems available for sale in the mid 400's.

icemanftr
07-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Roger. Ok, last one for now until I hear about Blackcup's buddies thoughts...what about the Hyperlite HiFi? Read some promising reviews in some other threads and there are some slightly discounted factory blems available for sale in the mid 400's.

Board is an amazing skim board. I have that too 😀 Rides better than any board I have ridden. Even better than P5 Hammerhead.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160712/a5d87b1f8dfaf8cc0773f8bf5ecd62f9.jpg

kaneboats
07-12-2016, 03:46 PM
I find it hard to believe. Let's see some action video.

icemanftr
07-12-2016, 04:23 PM
I find it hard to believe. Let's see some action video.

What's hard to believe? I have ridden atleast 25 different boards over last 4 years and this is by far my favorite and best. Thanks fast as hell, rail sharp, spins 720s with ease. I recently road boat hammerhead and my hifi side by side in June and wasn't impressed with $750 board.

jtatexc
07-12-2016, 05:45 PM
What's hard to believe? I have ridden atleast 25 different boards over last 4 years and this is by far my favorite and best. Thanks fast as hell, rail sharp, spins 720s with ease. I recently road boat hammerhead and my hifi side by side in June and wasn't impressed with $750 board.

I own both a phase 5 danielo diamond 51" and a 53" hifi (2016 model). I def woundnt say the hifi is a better board. I think the dd is a bit faster but a bit easier to break free. Most that have rode both boards on my boat agree the dd carves harder but the hifi seems a touch more stable. I think like many boards out right now it just comes down to taste, style, and experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

kaneboats
07-12-2016, 06:50 PM
What's hard to believe?

That HL is making a board that's not a dog. So, let's see that video!

c h r i s
07-12-2016, 09:16 PM

Sounds like a showdown, better post up some footage of you on the P5 too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jtatexc
07-12-2016, 09:55 PM
I will say the hifi is a super badass board. I just wouldn't go as far as calling it outright better than a phase5. Same level...perhaps...not better

parrothd
07-12-2016, 11:01 PM
Board is an amazing skim board. I have that too 😀 Rides better than any board I have ridden. Even better than P5 Hammerhead.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160712/a5d87b1f8dfaf8cc0773f8bf5ecd62f9.jpg

Not a bad board, we have it on my boat, not a favorite of mine, but some of my crew like it. Everyone has thier own style, it's too slow for me, but i like a twitchy fast boards...

icemanftr
07-12-2016, 11:52 PM
Not a bad board, we have it on my boat, not a favorite of mine, but some of my crew like it. Everyone has thier own style, it's too slow for me, but i like a twitchy fast boards...

Guess it's different for each person for sure. Thing spins on a dime for me and is fast as hell.

icemanftr
07-12-2016, 11:53 PM
Sounds like a showdown, better post up some footage of you on the P5 too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would but it seems there is no summer in PNW. Hadn't even been 80 yet in July! Wtf

blackcup
07-13-2016, 01:26 AM

STILL havent got out yet. Weather up here has been just awful. Thursday it might hit 80. Then back to low 70s with rain for 4 days. :mad:

blackcup
07-13-2016, 01:27 AM
I would but it seems there is no summer in PNW. Hadn't even been 80 yet in July! Wtf

I feel ya Ice - we are just north of Spokane in the Okanagan valley. Average high in July is mid to upper 80s and we haven't even come close yet. Non stop rain and clouds too.

parrothd
07-13-2016, 09:12 AM
Guess it's different for each person for sure. Thing spins on a dime for me and is fast as hell.

Yep.. I'm only 160, so it's actually harder for me to keep an edge on it, it kept sliding out sideways on me. Which is why you like it for spins.. :)

The hammerheads main advantage is riding backwards, it's kinda amazing how well it rides reversed.

c h r i s
07-13-2016, 09:36 AM
Yep.. I'm only 160.

That's good info, I'm a lot closer in specs to icemanftr.

icemanftr
07-13-2016, 08:38 PM
Yep.. I'm only 160, so it's actually harder for me to keep an edge on it, it kept sliding out sideways on me. Which is why you like it for spins.. :)

The hammerheads main advantage is riding backwards, it's kinda amazing how well it rides reversed.

Have you ran all three fins? It was squirmy as hell with just middle fin. I run all three now.

kaneboats
07-14-2016, 12:32 AM
On the old Broadcast we found it was too locked in with 3 fins. We ran one fin and it was more fun. But, the slippery feel with just the two outside fins was the most fun. I would be tempted to try it in every config. Make the wife drive for at least an hour while you do this important research. :cool:

jmvotto
07-14-2016, 07:39 AM
There is an inland surfer blue lake Fs
In the cassifieds great price nice big guy cruiser

c h r i s
07-14-2016, 10:14 AM
There is an inland surfer blue lake Fs
In the cassifieds great price nice big guy cruiser

So cruiser = more of a surf style board? Not good for spins but could still pop off the top of the lip?

jmvotto
07-14-2016, 10:29 AM
So cruiser = more of a surf style board? Not good for spins but could still pop off the top of the lip?

you should be able to spin it by breaking loose the fins, I can spin my DW drone custom 4'8" no problem, its more of a surf style board

rca
07-14-2016, 11:52 PM
I'm 250 and ride a Doomswell Big Step. Awesome board for my size, best I've ridden. I think bigger guys should stay away from skim boards, they are inherently slower than surf style.

PuraVida
07-15-2016, 11:47 AM
I'm 250 and ride a Doomswell Big Step. Awesome board for my size, best I've ridden. I think bigger guys should stay away from skim boards, they are inherently slower than surf style.

I have always been told skim boards are faster because they have less rocker. Less rocker = More speed. Less rocker means more board in contact with the water and more effective surface area. Bigger guys need more surface area to utilize wave push. The issues big guys have with skim boards is that they are typically smaller in size and lack volume. More volume = more float.

kaneboats
07-15-2016, 12:01 PM
Every surf style board I have ridden felt slow and too locked in with the exception of Russ's Doomswell board (Neo, I think). So, I would tell a big guy to get the biggest skim style he can find or go with a top of the line surf style board.

icemanftr
07-15-2016, 10:40 PM
I'm 230 and can even ride a 50" hammerhead, 53" Ronix Carbon, And an array of 56" boards. I think much of it comes from experience, weight transfer, and skill.

blackcup
07-16-2016, 01:39 PM
My experience is definitely that skim boards are faster than surfs. I have yet to ride a super high end surf but mid level surfs always feel quite a bit slower.

icemanftr
07-16-2016, 02:33 PM
My experience is definitely that skim boards are faster than surfs. I have yet to ride a super high end surf but mid level surfs always feel quite a bit slower.

Very true, aside from IS "sweet spot" that thing is fast for a surf style board.

rbeckner27
07-18-2016, 02:25 PM
Been looking to get a bigger guy skim style board. I have a Red Rocket but was looking at either the IS 4skim squirt or the Phase 5 trident. i am currently 6-3" 265lbs. anyone got some thoughts or suggestion?

I just cant spin at all on the red rocket with the stock fins, should i look at getting the shorter fins?

onoitslolo
07-18-2016, 02:55 PM
discount code for humanoid? Im trying to collect all the discount codes I can, in an attempt to fill the garage. If you don't mind, PM me a list of whatever you got

Wax
07-20-2016, 09:32 PM
Humanoid sent!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

BrettLee3232
07-21-2016, 02:32 AM
Been looking to get a bigger guy skim style board. I have a Red Rocket but was looking at either the IS 4skim squirt or the Phase 5 trident. i am currently 6-3" 265lbs. anyone got some thoughts or suggestion?

I just cant spin at all on the red rocket with the stock fins, should i look at getting the shorter fins?

I have a 2015 Victoria PCX XL skim. Awesome board for my height/weight (6-3"/280lbs)

They have the Captain in XL for the 2016 boards.

rca
07-22-2016, 09:52 AM
Maybe it's just the higher end surf style, but I find them much faster than skim. I think because they are so much more buoyant than most skim style. My Doomswell is at least twice as thick as any skim I've ridden. I've ridden Doomswell, Soulcraft and one other higher end surf style whose name eludes me. They are all fast, meaning forward to back speed. You step on the gas on one of those surf style they move forward quickly.

jtatexc
07-22-2016, 11:36 AM
For the most part my phase 5 has been the fastest board I have ridden with one big exception. The Doomswell nubstep was a rocket. I had to stay on the brakes the entire time on that board. While I didn't care for the style of it, it was definitely the fastest board I've ever ridden

Wax
07-22-2016, 02:00 PM
The Humanoid Lip Stick skim is actually twice as thick as the Candyland, which is their fast aggressive shredder. Makes it very fast and buoyant. First board I've been able to spin more than 360s on, and I'm 225lbs.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk