PDA

View Full Version : Solving the ballast breaker switch problem

JASONZ
06-29-2016, 11:31 AM
The 60 amp breaker that the ballast is routed through sometimes pops. :confused:
I think a bunch of people on this forum have had this same problem.
The breaker is on the port side of the engine panel mounted adjacent to the transmission.
I have the amp meter ready and I am going to take a bunch of readings.
I performed a visual inspection of all ballast pumps and impellers on Sunday and they appear in fine working order.
Here are the tests I will run:
amp draw after pressing "Fill All"
amp draw for fill each individual pump
repeat tests for draining

If anyone has some experience with this problem or other suggestions let me know....
I will post the results of my findings.
Attached is a picture of what the breaker looks like.

parrothd
06-29-2016, 12:32 PM
No need for math, each pump draws 20+ amps on startup, 3 pumps will trip it..

JASONZ
06-29-2016, 12:49 PM
One of my theories was that the start up draw caused a spike....have you tested this?
The manual states 12amp draw per pump.

jstenger
06-29-2016, 03:56 PM
You will need a meter that measures inrush current. Basically the current required to start the pumps. It will be higher than the 12amp continuous current.

mmandley
07-01-2016, 01:47 PM
I don't think all three well pull 20 each. I've never tripped mine and I fill drain all three all the time.

smorris7
07-01-2016, 01:55 PM
I don't think all three well pull 20 each. I've never tripped mine and I fill drain all three all the time.

Same here. Never tripped this breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

parrothd
07-01-2016, 02:30 PM
My reversible pumps will easily blow 20amp fuse, the impellor sometimes sticks on startup to pop them. I noticed during a recent install wake makers is using 30amp fuses in thier kits now.

I used to pop that breaker often when my pumps were new or kicked 4 pumps on at the same time. Now I just make sure to press each button individually, instead of slapping them all on the same time.

JASONZ
07-02-2016, 08:49 AM
I ran the test yesterday.
Each pump draws about 8 amps.
With all of them running they draw between 22 and 26. That's far short of 60amp limit.
I did notice a quick surge when pressing the fill all. It was blink of an eye quick, but I saw a reading of 40 and 30 something and quickly settling in the mid 20's.
I am going to take parrothd's advice and always turn the pumps on one at a time.

parrothd
07-02-2016, 08:54 AM
Or when you're done for day after draining, flip the pumps to fill for a second. This allows the pump to start easier the next time out.

Crane man
07-02-2016, 09:51 AM
I ran the test yesterday.
Each pump draws about 8 amps.
With all of them running they draw between 22 and 26. That's far short of 60amp limit.
I did notice a quick surge when pressing the fill all. It was blink of an eye quick, but I saw a reading of 40 and 30 something and quickly settling in the mid 20's.
I am going to take parrothd's advice and always turn the pumps on one at a time.

If your amp meter is showing 30-40 your inrush is well over 60A. The breaker has a time delay for inrush but if the spike lasts longer, milliseconds, than the breaker it will trip. By starting each pump even a second apart you should not have any problems.

rdlangston13
07-02-2016, 11:07 AM
I know I have the wakemakers kit and I have each pump run on an individual 30 amp fuse and sometimes after not using the boat the impellers will stick in the housing or something cause I will hit the switch and the light on the switch comes on but the pumps dont run. I have to rock the switch back and forth multiple times to get the impeller to come free and sometimes this will blow the 30 amp fuses.