PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Capacity vs. Gauge

PuraVida
06-27-2016, 11:52 AM
My 16 Mojo apparently has a 49 gal gas tank. On multiple occasions I have run it until the gauge reads completely empty. The gauge doesn't even rise after the boat is inclined when getting on plane (since the float is on the rear of the tank). When I fill the tank at the pump I am only able to squeeze in 36 gallons max. Is this an issue with my gauge being off by 13 gallons on the low end or is my tank not vented properly and filling beyond this point is impossible? Anyone else noticing this?

KG's Supra24
06-27-2016, 12:00 PM
Same here. E on the water; can't get more than 40 gallons in the tank.

PuraVida
06-27-2016, 12:12 PM
Glad its not just me. Good to know I don't need to panic when the gauge is getting low.

Crane man
06-27-2016, 05:51 PM
Same issue with my boat. Was on E for good 8 mile ride back to ramp. Filled the next morning and could only vet 25 gal in tank. Mondo is 39 gal tank.

icemanftr
06-27-2016, 08:19 PM
Mine 13 LSV is the same way. Shows E and takes 25 gallons (38gl) lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaneboats
06-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Yea, but it's cheaper to fill her up.

mmandley
06-28-2016, 10:31 AM
I can only suggest you fill slower, or possibly check the vent tube routing and make sure its on the higher side of the fuel inlet.

I can agree my Mojo although a 13 is a 50gal tank, I run it to empty once in a while and it takes 45+ but the gauge is on empty in the higher 30s I expect.

On another side, my gauge reads 3/4 and I routinely put 30 gallons in it, so its reading higher then it really is in the tank. You have to remember these are simply gauge systems, they are not advanced like your car.

In your car you have baffles in the tank and the gauge sits in a still well in the tank so its not effected by sloshing. The boat is pretty much a plastic tank with a gauge dropped into the middle.

As for your not being able to fill, I think its a Venting issue because the gas pumps kick off if they since back pressure. I tend to not stick the nozzle all the way in and I don't click the pump on the auto fill tab. For mine, thats too much fuel pressure and it kicks off early. Same I always keep a towel wrapped around the gas nozzle as mine likes to spit a little when she gets full, also sometime when I remove the nozzle it will burp gas down the side of the boat.

zabooda
06-28-2016, 12:54 PM
I think it is a venting issue also. I suspect there is a loop or kink in the vent hose where gas remains which prevents any air from escaping as all the air is coming out the filler tube.

icemanftr
06-28-2016, 01:00 PM
I have looked at tank when full and it looks plum. So I'm assuming It's a gauge issue. But it don't bother me. Rather have her show less than more and end up out of fuel in middle of lake.

rdlangston13
06-28-2016, 03:10 PM
I have looked at tank when full and it looks plum. So I'm assuming It's a gauge issue. But it don't bother me. Rather have her show less than more and end up out of fuel in middle of lake.

agree, great safety feature. I have 40 gallon tank on my LSV ive been ebtween 1/4 and E and only been able to put 25 gal in but I am pretty sure it is all the way full because more often then not it spits gas out of the filler neck down the side of the boat.

kaneboats
06-29-2016, 12:54 AM
I always keep a towel wrapped around the gas nozzle as mine likes to spit a little when she gets full.

Makes a great tiki torch too. Funny they don't mention this part in the manual.

mmandley
06-29-2016, 04:00 PM
Makes a great tiki torch too. Funny they don't mention this part in the manual.

They don't mention that if you screw the cap on to tight it's nearly impossible to remove after the temps drop either lol

It's always a fun challenge to see if the fuel guy can remove it lol

rdlangston13
06-29-2016, 04:05 PM
They don't mention that if you screw the cap on to tight it's nearly impossible to remove after the temps drop either lol

It's always a fun challenge to see if the fuel guy can remove it lol

Fuel guy??? You have a "fuel guy"? So THATS how the 1%ers live! LOL

kaneboats
06-29-2016, 04:18 PM
Uh, in their whole state the residents are considered to be not intelligent enough to pump their own fuel. Almost got arrested filling my rental car.

mmandley
06-29-2016, 08:49 PM
Uh, in their whole state the residents are considered to be not intelligent enough to pump their own fuel. Almost got arrested filling my rental car.

I've had so many arguments with fuel tenets about me trying to pump my own fuel, them spilling fuel on my truck and with the boat I only let them open the cap and hand me the nozzle.

Back in the 80s, to help OR unemployment rate they changed all the gas stations to employee pump only. So they hired all these gas tenets to pump your fuel, some are cool, they do the windows, and chat with you. Most just come over and swipe your card and pump the fuel. I feel like i spend more time waiting on them to come over and start the fuel and then put the nozzle away then If i did it myself.

I frankly hate the OR system on this. My saving grace is I always get out of the car and wait like I am pumping it, when its done I remove the nozzle and put it away, also having Diesels we are allowed to actually pump our fuel at more stations then gas cars. IDK why but they don't throw a fit if I bring the truck in vs the Vette.

KG's Supra24
06-29-2016, 09:01 PM
What? That's different. Never knew.

Is there an additional tax carved out or are the gas stations subsidized in any way?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

mmandley
06-29-2016, 09:10 PM
What? That's different. Never knew.

Is there an additional tax carved out or are the gas stations subsidized in any way?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Not sure but on average we pay .30 more a gallon, and I am sure thats helping to fund this program.

Pretty sure New Jersey does the same thing.

rdlangston13
06-30-2016, 08:29 AM
Not sure but on average we pay .30 more a gallon, and I am sure thats helping to fund this program.

Pretty sure New Jersey does the same thing.

Do the tenets expect tips?? That would drive me up the wall, someone pumps my gas because I am not allowed to and then they look at you like you owe them something.

07STI
06-30-2016, 09:20 AM
Do the tenets expect tips?? That would drive me up the wall, someone pumps my gas because I am not allowed to and then they look at you like you owe them something.

I was thinking the same thing...Especially if they decide to wash your windshield.

zabooda
06-30-2016, 10:41 AM
Sometimes Oregon gas is cheaper than on the Washington state side. Go figure. I got chastised once for coming into the gas pumps from the wrong direction and made to drive around. New Jersey has similar rules.

mmandley
06-30-2016, 11:10 AM

No Tips are expected and i never have tiped them

parrothd
06-30-2016, 06:23 PM
I tip my fuel/marina guy at the end of the season.. $50 gas card.. hehehe..