PDA

View Full Version : Heater leak -- is there a bypass?

Ian Brantford
06-24-2016, 10:55 PM
Howdy. I'm late getting started this season, and finally got a water test done today. I have a bad heater leak. On my 2005 XLV, this is just forward of the driver's feet. The water is raining down into the bow storage. This happened several years ago as well, caught by the marine mechanic. He fessed up to a bad winterising job and replaced the core.

Since then, the marina has had a change of ownership and mechanic. They've made the same mistake, I expect. I'll get that sorted next week.

Question for the moment: is there a bypass valve or other hack that I could do tomorrow morning to get on the water for this precious, idyllic weekend that is forecast for my area? I only found the fault as I had to leave (Friday evening), so I couldn't trace the hoses to find any such possibility.

Thanks in advance.

morpheusmac
06-24-2016, 11:26 PM
Howdy. I'm late getting started this season, and finally got a water test done today. I have a bad heater leak. On my 2005 XLV, this is just forward of the driver's feet. The water is raining down into the bow storage. This happened several years ago as well, caught by the marine mechanic. He fessed up to a bad winterising job and replaced the core.

Since then, the marina has had a change of ownership and mechanic. They've made the same mistake, I expect. I'll get that sorted next week.

Question for the moment: is there a bypass valve or other hack that I could do tomorrow morning to get on the water for this precious, idyllic weekend that is forecast for my area? I only found the fault as I had to leave (Friday evening), so I couldn't trace the hoses to find any such possibility.

Thanks in advance.

All you need to do is pull the hoses from the heater and hook them together. Pick up a 5/8 or 3/4" brass barbed splicer from Home Depot and use the hose clamps from the heater to secure the hose to the splicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
06-26-2016, 01:21 PM
All you need to do is pull the hoses from the heater and hook them together. Pick up a 5/8 or 3/4" brass barbed splicer from Home Depot and use the hose clamps from the heater to secure the hose to the splicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this would totally work. beyond that, I've got brass barbed ends with hose connections on both of my supply and return hoses to my heater. I put them with the male/female reversed on one side so I could bypass like you're wanting to. It's basically like this, but with both the male and female obviously.

https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Metals-Garden-Fitting-Connector/dp/B0070TV3IW/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1466961530&sr=1-2&keywords=brass+hose+fittings

beat taco
06-27-2016, 02:26 AM
This has the piece you need. I keep one in my tool bag.
https://www.google.com/search?q=prestone+antifreeze+flush+and+fill+kit+in structions&client=ms-android-verizon&sa=X&biw=360&bih=560&tbs=vw:l&tbm=shop&prmd=vsin&srpd=4008031214059845102&prds=epd:16742954404145063119,paur:ClkAsKraX763IkH iTjbWrSauBpe3kB2vjqXRDSKJyx2wm0cmOzC4K9gVJrVneGoSR SfgKQjEWGxM8PkYk3ehjhZuv0nKXO5Ayg_pcfhKYzlBMfLgjnc sFUrhXhIZAFPVH71lySm4e1LT9MUa3w6ulIysmkZGpg,cdl:1, cid:18396023941894070154&ved=0ahUKEwjb8_a5ycfNAhVM_WMKHfwkDFkQgTYI-gEwAA&ei=6sZwV9vWNsz6jwP8ybDIBQ

beat taco
06-27-2016, 02:28 AM
Lol guess I was a little late

DOCDRS
06-27-2016, 11:29 PM
get a couple of 5/8" I think ,in line shut off valves and your good to go

mcdye
06-28-2016, 07:43 AM
I kept a short piece of hose in the engine compartment just in case. Ppull the ends off the engine (block/manifold/water pump) and use the short hose to bypass the heater.

Ian Brantford
06-28-2016, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the responses! I couldn't make it work at all for last weekend, but I'm heading out there shortly. The marina can't guarantee that they'll have it looked at today, and replacement parts might be needed. I'll bring a splicer so that I can bypass it myself if needed.

Ian Brantford
06-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the responses! I couldn't make it work at all for last weekend, but I'm heading out there shortly. The marina can't guarantee that they'll have it looked at today, and replacement parts might be needed. I'll bring a splicer so that I can bypass it myself if needed.

Whoops. The hoses are too short and originate at the same point to splice them together -- they don't have enough room to bend. Back to the hardware store for another splice and some hose...

beat taco
06-29-2016, 03:34 PM
At the heater?

Ian Brantford
07-02-2016, 07:16 PM
At the heater?

Yes. They come into the starboard bow compartment from the floor. They attach to the heat exchanger, which is mounted at the top of the compartment. Only about 8 inches of hos is exposed. I got another barbed splice and some 5/8" high-temperature/pressure garden hose to make the connection. It's not done yet, as I got discouraged by bad weather and a trailer tire blowout.

beat taco
07-02-2016, 11:58 PM
Yes. They come into the starboard bow compartment from the floor. They attach to the heat exchanger, which is mounted at the top of the compartment. Only about 8 inches of hos is exposed. I got another barbed splice and some 5/8" high-temperature/pressure garden hose to make the connection. It's not done yet, as I got discouraged by bad weather and a trailer tire blowout.
Damn! I had plenty of hose there

Ian Brantford
07-16-2016, 10:23 AM
Thanks again for the advice, folks. I've been on the water twice with a working bypass, and can focus on ordering a slew of new boat supplies, including a new heat exchanger, next week.