PDA

View Full Version : Moomba Dealers Price Mark Up

Future Moomba Owner
06-22-2016, 09:50 PM
Hey guys thanks for reading this post.
We are looking at buying a new Moomba hopefully in the next month or so. I recently went to a dealer in Tennesee and got some hands on and spoke to a salesman. The particular boat I was looking at was $75k. The guy instantly took $5k off for something I cant remember. Then he added dealer fees and something else. Totaled $1500. Back to $71.5k. What im getting to is how negotiable are boat dealers on price? How much are these boats marked up? I've never bought a new boat so I'm clueless in this area. I've read where people are talking their way down and getting 10-15% off asking price. I'm just wondering if this is true. And how much should I offer on say an asking price of $70k and whats the most I should pay? Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

nitrodude24
06-22-2016, 10:10 PM
depends on model. I m assuming at that price it is a Mojo and fairly loaded. There is a good mark up but right now is a sellers market ie boat season, so not gonna say how much they may negotiate depends on dealers volume. I will say this the moomba line is the best bang for your buck saying that...dealers areas are supposed to be protected so get a price on an axis or supreme and compare this to the moomba for leverage. I'm not saying this because your on the moomba board but I ve owned a 14 Lsv, 15 mojo and almost traded for a 16 mojo but we traded for a left over 15 supra sg. I compared all at the boat show and always came back to Skiers Choice.

Future Moomba Owner
06-22-2016, 10:36 PM
depends on model. I m assuming at that price it is a Mojo and fairly loaded. There is a good mark up but right now is a sellers market ie boat season, so not gonna say how much they may negotiate depends on dealers volume. I will say this the moomba line is the best bang for your buck saying that...dealers areas are supposed to be protected so get a price on an axis or supreme and compare this to the moomba for leverage. I'm not saying this because your on the moomba board but I ve owned a 14 Lsv, 15 mojo and almost traded for a 16 mojo but we traded for a left over 15 supra sg. I compared all at the boat show and always came back to Skiers Choice.

Yes it was a loaded Mojo. Thanks for the reply. Sounds like winter time may be the time to buy. This was a small dealer, he only had two Moomba boats and one Supra.

Broke Pilot
06-23-2016, 02:09 AM
If you're in the Houston area the summer boat show is coming up quick. About the only reasonable time to buy a new boat other than winter around here.

russellsmojo
06-23-2016, 09:24 AM
OP. Do not be afraid to make them an offer. They are in the business to get best price. You are in the business to get best price. If you really like the boat offer what you feel good about and roll on if not accepted. Buying a boat you like is more important than price in the long run. Those winter months of a 70k toy sitting will get you if you do not really like your boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlatLander7
06-23-2016, 10:02 PM
OP. Do not be afraid to make them an offer. They are in the business to get best price. You are in the business to get best price. If you really like the boat offer what you feel good about and roll on if not accepted. Buying a boat you like is more important than price in the long run. Those winter months of a 70k toy sitting will get you if you do not really like your boat.

This^^^^^^^^

JASONZ
06-24-2016, 09:12 AM
It's weird - but you have to make an offer to see where they're at....make it close enough for them to counter but too low for them to accept it immediately.
Make sure they know that you are looking at onlyinboards and prepared to buy used.
This will get them very serious because there are a TON of nice used boats out there for 71K.
I made about 6-8 cash offers before I found mine. The worst people can say is no.

07STI
06-24-2016, 09:32 AM
It's weird - but you have to make an offer to see where they're at....make it close enough for them to counter but too low for them to accept it immediately.
Make sure they know that you are looking at onlyinboards and prepared to buy used.
This will get them very serious because there are a TON of nice used boats out there for 71K.
I made about 6-8 cash offers before I found mine. The worst people can say is no.

This sounds great, in theory. However, the OP doesn't know what's "too low for them to accept immediately."

OP - I get the sense that you're just looking to make sure you're getting a fair deal. I'm the same way. I'm not going to haggle over $1,000, but I'm also not going to overpay by $5k just because I want something.

I did some research on invoice vs MSRP. I knew I was buying one of the first Craz's to hit the showroom in July 2015, so I wasn't going to get boatshow pricing. I set a $ amount I was willing to pay and if the dealer couldn't reach that, I was going to walk. IMO, it wouldn't be out of line to offer 15% less than the MSRP in hopes of settling on 10% - 12% off. Or, you can go right in at 10% or 12% and tell them that's your top $...take it or leave it. I've used both strategies with buying cars/boats. Both work. For me, it depends on how much time I have, how far away the dealer/seller is, and whether I'm in the mood for negotiating. :cool:

Just be strong and walk if you're not 100% satisfied. And if you strike a deal, ask them to throw in your 20hr check for free to sweeten the deal. I think that's a good way for them to show you their commitment to service and develop a good maintenance relationship.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll be enjoying a new Mojo this summer!

patrick232
06-24-2016, 09:35 AM
If it's the dealer in Knoxville they may only have a few boats on hand as the 2017 models are right around the corner and will start showing up soon. They sell plenty of SC boats. We almost bought there, but with the boat splitting time in Ohio and TN we went with the Ohio dealer. Next one might be from them

russellsmojo
06-24-2016, 10:43 AM
I have no idea how accurate this website is but it may help you in your offer. http://www.seedealercost.com/boats

Jwredmon101
06-24-2016, 01:43 PM
Here's a little plug for my dealer but they have a 2014 supra SC350 with Less than 100 hours with the swell system .. asking 64k and they have no dealer fees on new or used.. Call denney marine in Albany ky .. even if to get you a lower price to compare to .. But from my experience they are hard to beat on used or new.

That Guy
06-25-2016, 12:11 AM
Denney is good people. My dads been going there the last 20 years.

ian ashton
06-25-2016, 10:48 AM
And remember, unless you have multiple addresses, the SC franchise agreement prohibits dealers from selling outside of their market, which I for 1 absolutely hate.

patrick232
06-25-2016, 11:21 AM
Here's a little plug for my dealer but they have a 2014 supra SC350 with Less than 100 hours with the swell system .. asking 64k and they have no dealer fees on new or used.. Call denney marine in Albany ky .. even if to get you a lower price to compare to .. But from my experience they are hard to beat on used or new.

I seen that Chad from Denny had posted, if it was blue not red I would be tempted. They did just just in a blue and silver metal flake MOJO, it looks sweet.

The multi address is only required for current model years I believe.

sandm
06-26-2016, 10:24 AM
almost all boat manuf. only have a current model year issue. once they are considered "holdovers" fair game.

my experience when I was shopping around in '12 is that there are dealers all over across almost all lines that will figure out how to get you around the territory rules but know that the few $k that you save might make the difference between a warranty repair being done in 2 days and 2 weeks when you get back to your local territory. sometimes that pain to purchase out of state can be worth it tho as in the case of what used to be the local mc/mb dealer in my old hometown. sales side was horrid but service was quite good.