PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure issues while surfing

Wax
06-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Any of you guys had issues with your oil pressure while surfing? I never did when I had my 06 LSV, and I assume the oil pump was on the front of the pan (although I don't know) for that year. I have a different brand boat now, and I assume the oil pump is at the front of the pan (by front I mean toward the front of the boat, not the motor since the motor is backward from typical nomenclature). I was surfing the other night and had more ballast in the rear than usual, and after a half hour my oil pressure dropped to nothing. Had to get towed in even after sitting a minute.

I thought it might be a sending unit issue. I have a manual oil pressure check gauge, but due to my hard ballast tanks I can't get to the sending unit without removing them it seems. I kind of gave up this morning, but figured I'd fire it up to see. Turned the key and pressure was 45psi according to my analog and digital gauges (have both).

I checked the oil, and it's slightly above the max line. I'm going to drain a little out to put it a little below.

Anybody have similar issues with your boats? I assume the newer boats after the surf explosion rectified this by putting the oil pump toward the rear of the boat. My solution is to not put quite as much ballast in (I never had an issue before, maybe had an extra 400lbs in the rear of the boat than I usually run) or to figure out how to get more up front (can only fit a 400 under the bow without cutting out cooler).