PDA

View Full Version : Check your SH*T!!!!

iwaterskihard
06-20-2016, 11:55 AM
I can't believe that I am actually posting this. Mostly out of embarrassment but more for safety. As an avid skier I'm usually pretty up on my gear. So two things happened that made me post this. The first was on Wednesday last week and second yesterday morning; yes Father's Day!!!!!

Wednesday - was playing with the fin settings on my ski when my battery went wonky in my calipers. Went to neighbors house and used his. Now ironically his calipers were screwy too. Changed out his battery and checked my fin. It was so far out of settings that I was shocked I was even able to ski on it. Reset fin and promptly went out on the lake and set a new PB of a full pass at 32 off. :) Yes very stoked about that progress!

Sunday - Well it was Father's Day and after not skiing for a couple days I wanted to try and repeat the success I had the last time I was on the water. So buddy and I hit the water early (8:30 am) so we can ski and get doing the family things. I start first 22 off 2 passes, shorten the line to 28 off ski a pass. The next pass at 28 off I round ball 5 stacked hard and in great position thinking sweet another good pass and we will be chasing that short line again. No sooner than the thought of completing the pass did the unthinkable happen - the loop in my rope broke and sent me smashing into the first wake face, chest, and stomach first.

Friends I have had my fair share of hard crashes over the years but this hurt instantly. To be pulling and resisting that hard and going to nothing, then being slammed is not fun at all and anything I want to experience again. 24+ hours later and I can hardly move. Feel like I got run over by a truck. Won't be on the water for a few days either I don't think.

One thing about me is if there's a lesson to be learned you can bet I will learn it............THE HARD WAY!!!!! lol

Check your gear always. I don't care if it's ski, wake board, bindings, ropes, or jackets check it! As I tell my daughter all the time when she gets mad at me for scolding her or telling her no. I've made these mistakes and I don't want you to get hurt!

Have a safe summer all! :)

dusty2221
06-20-2016, 12:15 PM
Sounds harsh! I had my bell rung this weekend too, hope ya get to feeling better!

Fastest1
06-20-2016, 01:13 PM
I can't believe that I am actually posting this. Mostly out of embarrassment but more for safety. As an avid skier I'm usually pretty up on my gear. So two things happened that made me post this. The first was on Wednesday last week and second yesterday morning; yes Father's Day!!!!!

Wednesday - was playing with the fin settings on my ski when my battery went wonky in my calipers. Went to neighbors house and used his. Now ironically his calipers were screwy too. Changed out his battery and checked my fin. It was so far out of settings that I was shocked I was even able to ski on it. Reset fin and promptly went out on the lake and set a new PB of a full pass at 32 off. :) Yes very stoked about that progress!

Sunday - Well it was Father's Day and after not skiing for a couple days I wanted to try and repeat the success I had the last time I was on the water. So buddy and I hit the water early (8:30 am) so we can ski and get doing the family things. I start first 22 off 2 passes, shorten the line to 28 off ski a pass. The next pass at 28 off I round ball 5 stacked hard and in great position thinking sweet another good pass and we will be chasing that short line again. No sooner than the thought of completing the pass did the unthinkable happen - the loop in my rope broke and sent me smashing into the first wake face, chest, and stomach first.

Friends I have had my fair share of hard crashes over the years but this hurt instantly. To be pulling and resisting that hard and going to nothing, then being slammed is not fun at all and anything I want to experience again. 24+ hours later and I can hardly move. Feel like I got run over by a truck. Won't be on the water for a few days either I don't think.

One thing about me is if there's a lesson to be learned you can bet I will learn it............THE HARD WAY!!!!! lol

Check your gear always. I don't care if it's ski, wake board, bindings, ropes, or jackets check it! As I tell my daughter all the time when she gets mad at me for scolding her or telling her no. I've made these mistakes and I don't want you to get hurt!

Have a safe summer all! :)

Why do people always think water is soft? Between skiing and jet skiing crashes, had there not been life jackets I dont think I would be writing this. Though I have hurt myself plenty on land, the water has been punishing too ;-)

zabooda
06-20-2016, 02:24 PM
Another check that had caught me once is make sure the ski bindings are secured tight to the board. I'm amazed how often they loosen up.

I check the rope periodically for any fraying throughout the rope including the handle. Most of my replacements occur at the 22 off loop that is most often used. The pylon wreaks havoc on ropes. Good reminders

iwaterskihard
06-20-2016, 03:01 PM
Water is very hard and it hurts a lot!!!!! But it's also fun and that's why we keep coming back! :)

Fastest1
06-20-2016, 05:22 PM
I actually havent done anything in years mostly due to other injuries. I was never at a competitive level except in my own mind but I was definitely familiar with the pain of failure ;-) I did get a new hip 5 months ago so I am getting ready to tear it up!

Mikey
06-21-2016, 08:45 PM
Just like Zabooda mentioned. Check your screws holding bindings etc.. I had an old ski that screws were loose and popped out. Lifting back foot plate and actually bending the plate.. I was lucky and was able to repair it and was not hurt.. i did crash..

Now a screw driver is in my bag and i check everything before i go always now.. As for ropes fraying, yeah that happens but i try to replace every couple seasons as they loose there stretch so luckily have not had one snap.. Yet

I have had a wakeboard rope Snap, but that was partly due to fooling around and heavy dude on the end.. Lesson learned, no one hurt.

5:00
06-22-2016, 03:14 PM
I am special and wear a helmet while wake boarding. I had a fairly mild concussion due to a really bad landing on an improperly setup boat (my fault). The more of those you get the worse so I am protecting the dome these days. I get teased for it but I really don't care.

I hit the face of a large wake falling off of my Wave Runner at just under 60 MPH (on GPS) and my ribs hurt for about three weeks. Thanks to the life vest for protecting most of the upper ribs. I would trade two more of those not to have had a concussion.

parrothd
06-22-2016, 03:53 PM
We always ride with helmets, if someone gave me crap I'd drop them off at the dock. Do they make fun of ear plugs too?