PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Outback Speedometer Stuck on 50 MPH

pianoman0123
06-18-2016, 09:49 PM
Just bought this boat and took it out on the water today... the Speedometer is not reading and it's stuck to the far right around 50 MPH... I checked the wheel on the bottom of the boat and it spins freely, I also cleaned around the wire in the bilge area and still no luck... does anyone else have any other suggestions? I read somewhere about calibrating the speedometer, is it possible that this needs to be done or do I most likely have a bigger problem...
Thanks in advance

Fastest1
06-19-2016, 11:33 AM
The needle is not moving at all? Stuck on 50 even without the key on? Mine doesnt work either though it is on 0. Does your stepper motor inside the speedo make a noise when the key is turned on? (not to the starter mode, just powered up). Speedo's are driven by a stepper motor. Upon powering up you should be able to hear them cycle, it will have to be very quiet when checking this. Or put your ear to the speedo.
I am going GPS on the stock gauge if all tests well. The only negative is that the water temperature sensor is built into the paddle wheel. Of course Texas water is warm most of the time, I will live without it ;-)

If you look under the dash, right near the key switch. You should see a small potentiometer. This is for calibrating the speed. At this point there is probably no harm in seeing if it makes any effect.

mikenehrkorn
06-20-2016, 08:31 AM
Same thing happened to mine this weekend, but I think it may have somehow been self-inflicted....my battery was really low so I had the charger on it and tried to start the engine before it was fully charged. I had the charger on the lowest setting so didn't think it would make a difference. The gauge went around past 50 mph and is now stuck in that position. I know everything is functioning because the digital readout is still working as well as the cruise.

Fastest1
06-20-2016, 09:37 AM
Same thing happened to mine this weekend, but I think it may have somehow been self-inflicted....my battery was really low so I had the charger on it and tried to start the engine before it was fully charged. I had the charger on the lowest setting so didn't think it would make a difference. The gauge went around past 50 mph and is now stuck in that position. I know everything is functioning because the digital readout is still working as well as the cruise.

It shouldnt harm anything to have started it on the charger, whether the battery was full or not. It either cranks at full speed or slower. The threshold for the electronics and or fuel injection to operate should be met if the engine turns over reasonably. Unless there are other issues of course.

pianoman0123
06-20-2016, 08:39 PM
Yeah, it's stuck on 50 even without the Key on and it doesn't move at all... the Cruise still works on mine as well... as for the stepper noise... that's something I will have to check on Thursday when I get back out...

Fastest1
06-20-2016, 09:02 PM
If yours is a 2008, the cruise is based on rpm not speed.

mikenehrkorn
06-21-2016, 08:55 AM
I actually saw mine go over when I was trying to start the engine. I can't remember for sure, but don't the gauge (tach, speedometer, etc.) needles go all the way from zero to max and then back when the motor is started? In my case, I think it went over to the max but the battery wasn't sufficient to crank the engine and somehow it got stuck at the max and now can't get back.

This probably doesn't make much sense, but that is what I saw.

Jordy Dag
06-25-2016, 08:56 PM
What about the potentiometers/ riostats under the dash for calibrating the speedos? Probably a long shot but thought I would mention it. I had some help from a little munchkin under the dash once that tweaked with them and threw the speedos way out

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mikenehrkorn
07-01-2016, 03:02 PM
UPDATE: Mine is back working properly again. I didn't do anything (was going to wait til the end of the season to have the dealer look at it) but was cruising along near WOT and the gauge just swung back to the correct position and has been reading correctly ever since. It looks to have fixed itself.....go figure.

Jordy Dag
07-04-2016, 12:42 AM
Good to hear!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

pianoman0123
07-19-2016, 05:48 PM
I can't seem to find the knob to calibrate the speedometer or to at least check it... Do all '08's have this? It's supposed to be located next to the ignition under the dash right?
Thanks

pianoman0123
08-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Bump...Anyone?

deerfield
08-06-2016, 12:09 AM
I can't seem to find the knob to calibrate the speedometer or to at least check it... Do all '08's have this? It's supposed to be located next to the ignition under the dash right?
Thanks

Page 29 of the '08 owner manual states that the speedo calibration knob is located under the dashboard.

Fastest1
08-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Thanks

The knob on mine is tie wrapped to the bundle of wiring right behind the ignition switch. It is not located in a bracket of any kind.