PDA

View Full Version : Electric Winch vs Fulton F2

zambonidriver
06-13-2016, 09:54 AM
I regularly use my boat at a lake in Northern WI that has a steep, and very uneven landing. It is VERY difficult to get the boat settled on the bunks and keep it from sliding back off the trailer. I go through a process to pull it out about 6 inches at a time to keep it cranked up since I have to have the trailer a bit deeper than I'd like to start.

Anyways, I'm getting tired of it. I have a bum shoulder and cranking on my crappy 1500lb winch sucks. So I'm thinking about upgrading to the Fulton F2 3000lb model or just throwing an electric winch on there and calling it a day.

Is the F2 really that easy to crank up? I have a 2012 Mojo, and I want to be able to snug the boat up after pulling it out. Right now, I just can't crank up up that last 6 inches After it's out of the water. Also thought about a boat buddy but have heard very mixed reviews.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bluice311
06-13-2016, 09:57 AM
We added the F2 this summer. My wife is now able to cinch up the Mondo with ease without even using the second gear. Previously she always needed help getting it all the way to the roller.

JASONZ
06-13-2016, 12:16 PM
I am interested to see what people write on this post. We also have a steep ramp and it takes some strength and serious powerloading to get winched up.
I think I have the fulton XLT series.

sandm
06-13-2016, 12:33 PM
I had an f2 and liked it.

had a boat buddy and those things, athough seem like a good idea, they are easy to break and somewhat finicky. I won't add one again.

zambonidriver
06-13-2016, 01:34 PM
It just seems like a hassle and potentially unnecessary to add electric winch. I just want to buy my last winch and if the F2 can crank the boat sitting flat on dry bunks then we have a winner.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mmandley
06-13-2016, 09:02 PM
I added the F2 a couple summers ago and will never own a boat with out one again.

You will need to still 2 holes to get the 3 bolt mount in. I tried doing it with the two holes it came with but after a few outings we broke the winch frame.

Fulton said it has to be mounted using 3 bolts.

Anyhow we have never needed to use the 2nd gear.

We winch the boat up, we don't power load at all, the winch is awesome

viking
06-14-2016, 12:54 AM
those of you with the F2 are you using the 3200lb version?

mmandley
06-14-2016, 01:03 AM
those of you with the F2 are you using the 3200lb version?

I'd have to look but I'm pretty sure mine is, it's also the 2 speed version

bluice311
06-14-2016, 09:27 AM
My F2 is the 3200 lb, 2-speed model (FW32000101)

zambonidriver
06-14-2016, 11:46 AM
From all the posts so far I think I'm going to get the F2 2 speed, 3200lb and try that before committing to the electric, which seems like overkill. Thanks for the advice so far.

gregski
06-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Just one other thought: If it's windy and we're having a hard time getting the boat the stay centered on the trailer, or if it just happens to come up off-center (like uneven weight in the boat) I will attach the transom straps and then back it back into the water just enough the float it a little and then pull it back up. It always comes up centered the second time. My point is that you could load with the trailer a bit too deep, easily attach the bow, then come up slow letting the boat settle onto the trailer and then do my second dunk method if it doesn't come up centered.

zambonidriver
06-15-2016, 10:56 AM
This is basically what I do. The problem is that sometimes the bow isn't anywhere close to the bow roller if it's not centered because I'm too deep, and I'm too deep because one side drops off a cliff. . It's a really fine line at this landing.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk