PDA

View Full Version : Ballast upgrade

deckwork
06-09-2016, 08:18 AM
Hello all I am toying with the idea of upgrading rear ballast on our Craz was originally looking at getting 900s but my dealer only stocks the 1100s, if I could get some feedback from other craz owners if the 1100 will push on engine wall and what brand you have and do you fill all the way or wold 900 be enough. Ordering online gets expensive as I am in Canada so shipping gets high.

DFTR Josh
06-09-2016, 09:37 AM
Plan on the panel saver kit from wakemakers no matter what you do, fairly cheap and very easy to install.

yukon2007
06-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Check out the guys at BoatToys.ca and Shuswap Ski and Board. They both are out of Calgary and have very competitive prices. Even matching online U.S. prices. Shipping is cheap too. When I'm not wintering in Florida I always buy from either one of the guys and the really know their product lines. They sell you what you need not what you want!

gregski
06-09-2016, 10:35 AM
The water pressure placed on the dividing wall isn't that different between the 900s and 1100s (within 10%). The 900s are 22" tall, the 1100s are 24" tall. If you wanted to make the 1100s apply the same pressure as the 900s you could just fill it 2" short of the top. I'd use cost as your driving factor here and get the 1100s.

deckwork
06-09-2016, 09:41 PM
Thank you for all the help

jtatexc
06-09-2016, 11:47 PM
Yup get the 1100s. I have them and am very happy! I am getting the panel savers here pretty soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
06-10-2016, 01:15 PM
Can you see the panels bow?
Do the bags fill to the top?

Any pics of the 900s or 1100s?

jtatexc
06-10-2016, 05:00 PM
I can see the panels slightly bow. It does not fill to the total top of the locker. I am launching in an hour. If I can remember I will try and get pics when filled. I tend to get a little ADHD after launch so no promises:)

mattsask
06-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Slightly bow!? Haha I have the 1100's and my panels bowed so much that they were pinching the spark plug wires between the engine and panel. I've now got the panel saver kit from wakemakers installed. The panels still have a slight bow when the 1100's are full. Go big and get the 1100's, you won't regret it. Either way you'll need to get the panel saver kit. It's CHEAP, and literally takes 20 minutes to install them.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Isaguel
06-14-2016, 09:26 PM
Any thoughts on ballast bag brands? I am quoted the 1100lb fly high bags but was was made aware of some quality concerns. Apparently wakemakers do not endorse them or consider them quality leaders. I am not sure what to get.
I'd appreciate any input anyone has on this.

jtatexc
06-14-2016, 11:08 PM
Any thoughts on ballast bag brands? I am quoted the 1100lb fly high bags but was was made aware of some quality concerns. Apparently wakemakers do not endorse them or consider them quality leaders. I am not sure what to get.
I'd appreciate any input anyone has on this.
Fly high not quality leaders??? Someone correct me but I see them as being THE leaders in ballast bags. I am sure there are bags out there that have had issues but that can be said with any brand in any industry. Wakemakers sells fly high so I don't know why they wouldn't endorse them. They also sell their house brand bags but when I was on the phone with them they pitched them to me to be comperable to the fly high.

Dandy21
06-15-2016, 08:11 AM
Fly high not quality leaders??? Someone correct me but I see them as being THE leaders in ballast bags. I am sure there are bags out there that have had issues but that can be said with any brand in any industry. Wakemakers sells fly high so I don't know why they wouldn't endorse them. They also sell their house brand bags but when I was on the phone with them they pitched them to me to be comperable to the fly high.

Fly High will do custom bags for their dealers. There is a good chance that the Wake Makers bags may very well be from Fly High, the difference being that the WM bags may be more boat specific vs. A generic size. Someone more knowledgeable than me may be able to confirm or deny the manufacturer of the WM branded bags. Just hoping they are not imported to get a cheaper price to make more margin.

icemanftr
06-15-2016, 10:23 AM
Guess my 1100s are a better fit in LSV. I don't get much bow at all with them, although I should make my own panel kit for extra precaution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isaguel
06-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Noticed the stock bags in my boat are fly high, so I went ahead and ordered the 1100's from wakemakers today. Cant wait!

philnizz
07-07-2016, 09:25 AM
i bought the 1100 fly high bags a while ago. now i wanted to install them and found out, that the plugs were glued, so i can not disconnect them. can you tell me which plugs adapters i need? thanks alot!

moombacraze
07-07-2016, 09:31 AM
You can remove them from the bags. Wake makers has a YouTube video that shows you how to remove them. You basically just have to heat up the connectors and pop them out. I have done it on my bags. Hope that helps!

philnizz
07-07-2016, 09:56 AM
thanks! i found the video. i'll try that.
do you know i have to glue the new bags too? if yes, what kind of glue will i need?

Isaguel
07-07-2016, 08:56 PM
In case you cannot unglue the plugs. This is what I bought with mine

WakeMAKERS Supra/Moomba BagBuster Rear Ballast Upgrade (2013+)
Bag Size: No bag - Fly High Hardware Kit Only 2 42107-fh-kit

deckwork
07-08-2016, 08:57 AM
I did get the fly high 1100s and wow glad I did but there is a lot of pressure on the engine panels will have to get panel savers but with a postal strike looming don't want to order them now and have them stuck in the mail and can't find them locally.

dusty2221
07-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Go to lowes and grab some aluminum channel. Quick and easy

mattsask
07-08-2016, 09:40 AM
When I priced out a DIY panel saver kit, it was going to cost me twice the money to build my own. I would take the chance and just order them. It's not the end of the world if your panels bow for a few outings.

Isaguel
07-08-2016, 08:41 PM
When I priced out a DIY panel saver kit, it was going to cost me twice the money to build my own. I would take the chance and just order them. It's not the end of the world if your panels bow for a few outings.

I agree. I went to home depot and purchased the black painted metal tracks for shelving, 24 inches, these were about 6$ a piece, 6 total, then stainless steel screws/locking nuts and washers, 18 of each, yeah, it adds up, I was surprised. Total savings about 2 bucks. They do work, but, I would never do it again. Should of just ordered the aluminum struts from wakemakers when I got my bags.

deckwork
07-08-2016, 09:42 PM

Just ordered them will take a chance on the postal strike.

Kidder522
07-08-2016, 10:39 PM
Canada post on a 30 day discussion period. Order now and they will come before the strike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk