PDA

View Full Version : Craz Break in service

Jjdyn0mite
06-06-2016, 07:19 PM
Need some advice on break in service for my new Craz. It seemed like it took forever to get the first 10 hours on our boat. Since then we have been very active on the water, I looked down this weekend and I'm at 40 hours! So now I'm stressed about getting the service done. I'm happy with our dealer and they have a great service department, the problem is they are about 2 hours away, so it is basically a full day off for me to get there, have it serviced, and get back home. My schedule really won't allow that. They have offered to tow it back to the shop, which would cost more than the actual service (roughly $500 for the ride there and back).

There is a local mechanic with a good reputation that says he can do the service on site. So here are my questions:

1. What is involved in this initial break in service beyond oil change?

and

2. If I have a local mechanic who is not necessarily a certified Moomba technician do the work, will it void my warranty?

Long term, I'm concerned that this will become a recurring problem and result in less frequent maintenance, so I'm trying to figure out something that will continue to work for me.

wolfeman131
06-06-2016, 09:31 PM
if your dealer is Atlanta Marine then it's worth the drive IMO.

At the 20hr service, they will take care of any warranty issues you may have found. For example, a wire had worked itself loose on my sub. Could I have fixed myself, yes, but it was much easier sending a text than getting out any tools. They will also check all fittings, bolts, etc. to make sure everything is as it is supposed to be. The oil change is probably the most important part and you've gone twice as long as recommended. If your local mechanic is Indmar certified, I'd call Atlanta Marine and/or send a PM to Engine Nut here on the forum and be sure to get the mfg recommended oil & filter and you'll be good to go. If the local mechanic is not Indmar certified, grab a Big Gulp of Melllow Yellow and enjoy the road trip.

jtatexc
06-07-2016, 08:53 AM
I am in the exact same situation as you and we are actually very close with the owners of our dealership. We rode our craz to 38 hours when we did our break in and the dealer said strongly that they need to see it being a new boat. He wanted to go through and make sure everything was on the up and up with it. I agreed it was worth the piece of mind for such an expensive purchase and saves my ass in the instance any warranty issues come up down the road. Much easier to say the dealer is the only person who touched it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

mmandley
06-07-2016, 09:01 AM
I would take the day off the water and let them look it over. Its just TOO important of a service.

If it was after the 20 and you had say 60-70 hours on the oil I wouldn't worry as much as long as the oil looks good and you have no issues, but the Initial serivce on any engine is very important.

When an engine is new, it can have speacial break in oil, other lubes mixed in from assembly and also small amounts of metals from the break in that need to be removed with the original oil.

On my Ram they said the oil change is due at 15K and in the service manual it calls for Synthetic, but the dealer didn't want to honor my free oil change at 7500 when I asked for Synthetic, in the end I got my oil change and synthetic after I showed them in the owners manual it says Synthetic from the factory.

Point is, take a day now, or risk weeks later.

On the local guy changing the oil, no it won't void your warrenty as long as hes a real shop, it doesn't void your warrenty if you change it either, but the 20hr is a very important service. Also the 100hr is important as well, by this point most any issue will show up. After 100 I do all my own work unless I just don't have time and the boat is at my dealer already.

kaneboats
06-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Sometimes you can get your dealer to meet you half-way and tow it back. Ask if they have any deliveries out your way or anyone on staff who lives out your way.

Jjdyn0mite
06-07-2016, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. We are in sort of a bad spot because the closest dealers are between 2 and 4 hours away. I am a busy surgeon and can't really take a day off whenever I like and I'm on call 1/3 of the time. I'm not trying to make myself sound more important than anyone else, just saying why it is tough to get away. For a trip there, 3-4 hours of service and trip back, that's a full day, or else I have to make two trips which isn't any better. I'm trying to find someone who feels comfortable towing it over there to leave it, then I can take off early one afternoon to go pick it up.

I appreciate the input on the importance of this particular service and I will make the effort to get it done right before I get back out on the water. After that, I may get my local guy to do basic maintenance and dealer to do major milestone services...

kaneboats
06-07-2016, 10:13 PM
You sound important to me and your patients! I have a friend who drives between Tally and Hotlanta every other weekend but he doesn't drive a truck each way. I would think where there is a will there is a way though.

devito718
07-12-2016, 08:46 PM
I also just needed by 20 hour service I decided to do it myself my dealership was 6 hours away and the dealership close to me was still 3 hours away and when I stop by with the boat to see their facilities they told me they will only use 25/40 they would not use the recommended oil it seems like a shady outfit
I change my own oil on my personal auto this was the first time that I did oil on a boat. this is my first boat it went kind of smooth pulling the boat out of the water and putting it back in it was 3 hours
I also change the transmission fluid and cleaned out the water strainer if I am not missing anything please reply back

MJHSupra
07-13-2016, 06:12 PM
Pay someone to take the boat to the dealer. Ask the dealer if they know of someone to pick it up. They can work on it. Then pick it up on another day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk