PDA

View Full Version : Rad a Cage tower board racks.

Mikey
06-06-2016, 06:29 PM
OOOPS i had a moment the other day, loading my boat on the trailer the other day and had a SPECIAL moment.. I had one ski in the rack ,up high ,but the trailer was a little crooked in the water due to the ramp..

I came on to the trailer a little HOT and due to the crookedness the rack, not the ski caught the edge of the trailer guide and Snapped the bolts on one portion of the ski/board rack..

I might be able to fix this if i can remove the remnants of the bolts still in the finger portion of the racks and or i have to look at replacement.. Does anyone recall the Brand that the board rack and or know who may carry such parts?

Boat is not here at the moment so i can,t physically look for info at the moment.

Tower is on my 2007 Moomba Outback DD.

trayson
06-06-2016, 07:37 PM
The rad a cage tower on my 2008 XLV has a sticker on it from Extreme Towers.

http://www.xtremetowers.com/

Kidder522
06-06-2016, 09:15 PM
Hey Mikey,

I think someone had a couple of the factory racks in the classified section a while back. They might still have them.

Mikey
06-12-2016, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the replays, I was actually able to remove broken bolts and got new ones.. Put all back together and seems ok.. Now will definitely take a little more care loading etc.

xando
07-19-2016, 02:02 AM
taking the opportunity of this thread...

I would like to ask a question:
i need a wake surf rack that fits my rad-a-cage tower of my 2007 Moomba Mobius LSV.
I was thinking is sawing the middle fork arm so it would fit my board.

has anyone tried it before?

kaneboats
07-19-2016, 08:14 AM
You could certainly try it but unless you have a way to machine the groove that holds the rubber strip you will have metal touching your board. If you are going to keep your board in a bag it might be OK assuming you grind the cut part down smooth. Sounds like you would be better off ordering new forks or just getting a new rack. Something like this might be better:

http://www.bulletlines.com/kneeboard-boat-tower-rack-p/271.htm

5:00
07-19-2016, 09:53 AM
You will end up with a massive opening and will have to put pool noodles or something in there to fill the gap. I just got a new rack with an opening of 3" and it is unfortunately going back today. I had to pool noodle the top tines plus put in a piece of foam pipe insulation to keep it steady.
I am looking at the Sampson rack right now and will call them today. Their surf tine is about 2 1/8" and the wake board tine is 1 1/4". Even the wake tine might hold a skim style board. The only problem is that they are not cheap but look really solid. I need something that will swing 180* to get the boards all the way in the boat and not everyone is doing that.

beat taco
07-19-2016, 10:05 AM
What Kane said but the double surf bat rack

xando
07-21-2016, 01:28 AM
thanks for the replies.
"5.0" has a point. i hate to buy a surf rack knowing it will be hard to sell the existing one that fits only rad-a-cage tower.
AWS rep (AJ) told me to look at Rosswell, but they are really pricy.

07-21-2016, 09:27 AM
I am on rack try #2. I went the route Kane said and it will hopefully arrive on Friday. I will let you know how it goes. Great prices from Bullet Line for sure. If it does what I need I will get a second one.

gpd005
07-21-2016, 10:04 AM
I have the same racks and I was able to remove the rubber non-slip material inside the fork and my surf board slid right in there. I did add a little felt on it to keep from scratching the board, but that all depends on how thick your board actually is. Just something else to consider. I really need to get swivel racks!

07-21-2016, 11:24 AM
That's a good idea anyway. That rubber wears off on the white traction pads anyway.

beat taco
07-21-2016, 11:56 AM
thanks for the replies.
"5.0" has a point. i hate to buy a surf rack knowing it will be hard to sell the existing one that fits only rad-a-cage tower.
AWS rep (AJ) told me to look at Rosswell, but they are really pricy.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160721/8cfcc79d836bc1666e3df90224eeef84.jpg

The design let's you put it just about anywhere. For around $100 it was well worth it, I wouldn't cut up a rack designed specifically for your tower, even if I didn't need extra rack space, just for resale reasons. On the flip side someone will always buy a used surf rack. Just my thoughts, what works for you is all that matters.

xando
07-23-2016, 01:52 AM
I am on rack try #2. I went the route Kane said and it will hopefully arrive on Friday. I will let you know how it goes. Great prices from Bullet Line for sure. If it does what I need I will get a second one.

hey "5 o'clock"
i talked today with bulletines (Ken). He does know the industry well. Rad-a-cage tube has 1 5/8 diameter. i want the double surf tine.
(is that what you ordered?) it cost $100, but i want to add also the swivel kit: another $140.
can you please let me know how it fits and the quality?

beat taco
07-23-2016, 02:58 AM

07-27-2016, 09:35 AM
hey "5 o'clock"
i talked today with bulletines (Ken). He does know the industry well. Rad-a-cage tube has 1 5/8 diameter. i want the double surf tine.
(is that what you ordered?) it cost $100, but i want to add also the swivel kit: another $140.
can you please let me know how it fits and the quality?

Sorry, I had some weird e-mail thing going on so I didn't see the notification and I did't look at this thread.

I have been working with Ken also. I ordered the Krypt triple rack, board/surf/board, and so far it has been awesome. I have tried several other brands now and this one fit everything perfectly. I will say it has the least amount of play as far as boards go of any of them. I put a wake board on the top, a Byerly Volt in the middle and a CWB Tsunami in the lower rack made to hold wake boards. I tried the tines on each board I had before even putting it together. It fit all skim boards, except for the Phase 5, in the wake board tines just about perfectly.
I had all three boards in the rack and they didn't move at all and they didn't bang on each other. I haven't experienced that before. The whole rack stayed put on the tube also. Mine is 2 3/8".

The reason I went with them is that they have a swivel pivot for the rack that I haven't see yet because they are out of stock. Also Ken knows what he is talking about. Ken suggested buying the rack that is removable and they will send the swivel when it arrives. It worked fine and I was able to remove the rack without tools but I really want that swivel. To get in the boat house I have to remove the boards and the tines or they hit on the lift guides.

So the rack itself is a winner and hoping the same for the swivel. If it is all good I will pick up another set with the double surf tines.

08-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Waiting on the swivel. Looks like it won't ship until next week. Still just out of stock.

08-29-2016, 03:17 PM
I just posted this in another thread. I finally have some time on these racks.

I got the four tine wake, surf, wake rack several weeks ago with the swivel on back order. I used it for a couple of weeks without the swivel and two more weekends with the swivel.
I got the swivel because the cables for the boat lift will hit the rack and tear it up. Also with a lot of people on the boat there isn't much room for several surf boards and a wake board or two.

I tried a couple of racks and for one reason or another they just didn't work. The Bullet Lines fit the bill perfectly. From the pic you can see that surf boards fit nicely in the wake board slots. The only surf boards that didn't fit properly were two surf style boards.
We have bumped around with them for about a month now and the boards have remained undamaged and the swivel has been working great.

There is enough adjustment that the rack sits level with boat and when it swings in it stays level, not all of them do that. Since the swivel is toward the back it is pretty equal and I can bring the rack in half way with no boards and it isn't in anyone's way and it is just about even with the outside of the boat. You can see that they don't swivel in a full 180* but it is really close. I think they claim 170* pivot. The boards swing in enough to where I can pull into the boat lift and nothing will touch the cables. There are two positive locks, full in and full out. When not locked there isn't any movement and is pretty tight.

I am happy enough that I am buying one more for the starboard side but for wake / wake this time. The boards didn't bang together and it is all solid so far.

I will throw Bullet Lines into the mix. I got the four tine wake, surf, wake rack several weeks ago with the swivel on back order. I used it for a couple of weeks without the swivel and two more weekends with the swivel.
I got the swivel because the cables for the boat lift will hit the rack and tear it up. Also with a lot of people on the boat there isn't much room for several surf boards and a wake board.

I tried a couple of racks and for one reason or another they just didn't work. The Bullet Lines fit the bill perfectly. From the pic you can see that surf boards fit nicely in the wake board slots. The only surf boards that didn't fit properly were two surf style boards.
We have bumped around with them for about a month now and the boards have remained undamaged and the swivel has been working great.

There is enough adjustment that the rack sits level with boat and when it swings in it stays level, not all of them do that. Since the swivel is toward the back it is pretty equal and I can bring the rack in half way with no boards and it isn't in anyone's way and it is just about even with the outside of the boat. You can see that they don't swivel in a full 180* but it is really close. I think they claim 170* pivot. There are two positive locks, full in and full out. When not locked there isn't any movement and is pretty tight.

I am happy enough that I am buying one more for the starboard side but for surf / surf this time.

I will throw Bullet Lines into the mix. I got the four tine wake, surf, wake rack several weeks ago with the swivel on back order. I used it for a couple of weeks without the swivel and two more weekends with the swivel.
I got the swivel because the cables for the boat lift will hit the rack and tear it up. Also with a lot of people on the boat there isn't much room for several surf boards and a wake board.

There is enough adjustment that the rack sits level with boat and when it swings in it stays level, not all of them do that. Since the swivel is toward the back it is pretty equal and I can bring the rack in half way with no boards and it isn't in anyone's way and it is just about even with the outside of the boat. You can see that they don't swivel in a full 180* but it is really close. I think they claim 170* pivot. There are two positive locks, full in and full out. When not locked there isn't any movement and is pretty tight.

I am happy enough that I am buying one more for the starboard side but for surf / surf this time.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/sirzappa/IMG_4743.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/sirzappa/IMG_4741.jpg

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb280/sirzappa/IMG_4740.jpg