PDA

View Full Version : Board bending in Bimini?

BrettLee3232
06-05-2016, 07:22 PM
So my buddy pulled his wife's new DoomSwell from his new MB B52's Bimini surf pockets & found a bent board. The design of the surf pockets does not have padding where the board lays on top of the tower bar. Basically you're relying on your traction for protection.

Granted it's in the Arizona Sin and it was 111 degrees yesterday but it does get over 120 on occasions.

From pics it looks like moomba uses foam as protection.

Has anyone ever had any issues with the Bimini storage?

Also what's strange is both my board and his wife faded yellow from 1 day in the pocket. What's strange is it wasn't faded on the exposed part of the board. It was faded on the front where it was under the material. Made me think maybe it was acting as an oven and just heating it up under there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smorris7
06-06-2016, 10:12 AM
So my buddy pulled his wife's new DoomSwell from his new MB B52's Bimini surf pockets & found a bent board. The design of the surf pockets does not have padding where the board lays on top of the tower bar. Basically you're relying on your traction for protection.

Granted it's in the Arizona Sin and it was 111 degrees yesterday but it does get over 120 on occasions.

Also what's strange is both my board and his wife faded yellow from 1 day in the pocket. What's strange is it wasn't faded on the exposed part of the board. It was faded on the front where it was under the material. Made me think maybe it was acting as an oven and just heating it up under there.

NO Custom board can withstand heat like that! I would never suggest using the Bimini pockets for custom boards with temps over 90 degrees. Very expensive mistake. Custom board makers suggest taking boards out of all racks at higher temps and cover with the board socks...

mmandley
06-06-2016, 10:59 AM
The yellowing has always been an issue with Doomswell boards, the first couple boards I got from them yellowed the first year, then several I have seen since yellow over time.

Not sure why but I have never had this issue with my Soul Craft boards

trayson
06-06-2016, 11:04 AM

NO Custom board can withstand heat like that! I would never suggest using the Bimini pockets for custom boards with temps over 90 degrees. Very expensive mistake. Custom board makers suggest taking boards out of all racks at higher temps and cover with the board socks...

As you can see from this picture, I have padding on the crossbars of my cargo bimini. That has been sufficient to protect my boards. I also make sure that the traction is resting on the padding. I wondered about black bimini fabric, especially with pockets. And after having brock scold me, you can see that I always transport my board with a sock on it.
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/traysonh/Moomba%20XLV/FB_IMG_1463459492742_zpsi43lyce2.jpg

The yellowing has always been an issue with Doomswell boards, the first couple boards I got from them yellowed the first year, then several I have seen since yellow over time.

No yellowing on mine so far. Maybe that's because it lives in it's board sock unless it's being used in the water.

BrettLee3232
06-06-2016, 03:27 PM
I wonder if. Board sock inside the pocket would fix it? He said he was dropping it off to an upholstery shop to have foam added to the Bimini.

I almost added surf pockets to my Bimini because I hate my board bag taking up all this room in my walkway.

trayson
06-06-2016, 03:51 PM
I wonder if. Board sock inside the pocket would fix it? He said he was dropping it off to an upholstery shop to have foam added to the Bimini.

I almost added surf pockets to my Bimini because I hate my board bag taking up all this room in my walkway.

Walkway? LOL. What's a walkway!!!!!!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yyrD8R6ILN0/VEVgwN_HtAI/AAAAAAAAUtc/Fzh6UCcE7cgF2PpXhoNSLdt86dWKdlsYwCCo/s800/GOPR1317.JPG

I love, love, love my playpen bow. (and the 1180 gravity bag under it, and the fact it'll fit my wife's Ronix surf board, my buddy's custom surf style board, and a wakeboard--- all in that one locker once the ballast is drained)

if I didn't have my Monster Cargo bimini, I'd probably make my own version of the Corson Piper (Agenda) surf racks that go over the top of the tower.

wolfeman131
06-06-2016, 03:56 PM

c'mon, you know why . . . .

smorris7
06-06-2016, 04:21 PM

This is a heat related issue. Sock in Bimini will not help at high temps. Boards will warp and or delaminate. Got to keep them at a reasonable temp.

mmandley
06-07-2016, 09:31 AM
c'mon, you know why . . . .

your right I know exactly why but I didn't feel the need to pick on Brocks boards, I think he makes great boards but I only buy the Best boards LOL