PDA

View Full Version : Advice On Occasional Salt Water Use

jnb0y
06-04-2016, 11:37 PM
Hey Moomba owners,

I was unsure if this was a general discussion topic or service and repair so I flipped a coin and here I am.

I'm thinking about putting my 2002 Outback LSV in salt water once or twice a year for casual boating on special occasions (sight seeing on the bay with out of town company or staying on the water late to catch fireworks displays) and want to know the realistic consequences of doing so with careful pre and post saltwater care. I've heard all the horror stories (YOUR BOAT WILL LITERALLY DISSOLVE!!!). I know ultimately the decision comes down to my stomach for long term devaluation and added maintenance cost. I'd like to discuss what might be realistic expectations if anyone here has some first-hand experience with well cared for boats with occasional salt exposure.

A) My boat is completely stock - raw water cooling with flush kit, painted steel Boatmate trailer with disc brakes & torsion suspension, permanent carpeted cockpit floor, etc. Not exactly a Boston Whaler! Its never been in salt water btw.

B) I've had PWC that were used exclusively in the ocean and I'm acquainted with the effort that goes into carefully cleaning and protecting mechanical and electrical components and connections pre and post exposure FWIW. I'd be interested to hear what any of you have done preventively for your inboard boat.

C) Living near San Diego I have a few great freshwater options for an early morning session on the water, but these same places are a little weak for joy rides and casual boating. Also, this drought is no joke and the few options I have could literally evaporate.

D) I'm not likely to sell this boat unless I have to (distress). I don't owe any money on it so I don't have that to consider when thinking about value. I think boats are best when they are used to collect experiences and I don't expect my boat will be worth what I paid for it 10 or 15 years from now regardless of how or where I use it.

Thoughts?

kaneboats
06-06-2016, 10:17 AM
You will ruin your boatmate trailer. It's impossible to get all the salt off of it as the water gets up inside the rails and it will cause rust from the inside out.

Also, you can flush your engine and clean the boat but the salt will still be in places you can't get to. To me-- and I have tons of salt water around me -- it is not worth it to ever put the boat in the salt water even one time. I thought about getting a second boat and keeping closer to the coast. Decided to let my friend be the saltwater guy and I am the freshwater guy.

jnb0y
06-07-2016, 11:06 PM
That's nice to have a saltwater guy. I had one for a year or so then he started having kids and sold his boat. I was thinking about renting a small sailboat a couple times to see how I like it. Maybe it's better to have something inexpensive and simple for salt water. $$ savings on just not ruining the trailer alone would pay for a small sailboat in mediocre shape.

viking
06-07-2016, 11:56 PM
Just say "no" to saltwater use!!

Seriously would take a look at renting if you are only going to be doing it once or twice a year.

kaneboats
06-08-2016, 08:21 AM
Borrow a boat from a guy you knew back in HS and never liked. Heh heh.

moombadaze
06-08-2016, 08:46 AM
1st thing--go price a replacement trailer then decide if it is worth it cause the trailer will have to be replaced. got a neighbor with a bass boat, he dunked in salt a couple times, he had to add 2 U channels of steel on both sides with big ass Ubolts to hold his trailer together-just recently replaced it

the boat will survive if proper care is taken

Personally, I would look into renting for your 1 or 2 times going saltwater

jnb0y
06-08-2016, 12:30 PM
Well, I guess it comes as no surprise that no one here is very comfortable with saltwater. I think you guys have talked me off my ledge. Cost of a galvanized trailer and a heat exchanger would buy me a second boat and insurance for a few years.

viking
06-08-2016, 02:08 PM
^^ I know pretty odd considering we like to spend other people's money on this site LOL :)

jnb0y
06-08-2016, 06:57 PM
LOL, thats the best kind to spend!