PDA

View Full Version : Where can a guy buy a ski?

moombabound
06-04-2016, 08:21 PM
I once posted a thread "Skiing going the way of the dodo bird?":
"https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?6645-Skiing-going-the-way-of-the-Dodo-bird&highlight=Dodo+bird".
Hard to believe that was 8 years ago. Well a decade(ish) on the HO and time to upgrade. But nobody's carrying much inventory.
When one of the worlds largest boat dealers isn't going to bother bringing in skis anymore (sells 10 wake boards for every 1 ski, and 10 surf boards for every 1 wake board, hence what's the point of taking up display space) that tells you a thing or two.
Narrowed it down to HO CX or HO CX Superlite, via online research and a call to HO HQ. But do you think I could put my hands on one? Let alone demo one. Nope.
Of the places known to carry skis, one brought in only 2 CX's, but neither in my length. The other has none.
Take a flyer and ship from Bart's? Any other online ideas?

Woody929
06-04-2016, 08:46 PM
I have a brand new Triumph that I'd like to sell :-)

jelmhorst
06-06-2016, 01:14 PM
I use/used ski-it-again.com. I don't know any places that allow demos anymore, maybe if you live in FL and there are schools attached. Inventory constantly changes so it's just a matter of waiting it out and being ok with a season(s) old ski.

zabooda
06-06-2016, 02:02 PM
I used Wileys out of Seattle for advice some years ago. http://www.wileyski.com/

PM iwaterskihard as he has great advice and knowledge on the current skiis and bindings out on the market.

Mikey
06-06-2016, 06:19 PM
I see your from St Albert.. Not sure if or how often you may get down to Calgary , but Shuswap ski and Board here in Calgary has pretty much the best selection and service Likely in western Canada.. They usually have a good selection till season end, and they have the Knowledge and skills to steer you right...

They also do Demo,s ,with deposit ,of course.. You may want to look them up online or call them and talk to them directly...Mike the owner, is a past Canadian ski coach.. Very knowledgeable and just plain nice guy to talk to. He can advise you or help pick a ski that should be right for you.. His staff all ski or board and are all good as well..

Mike has connections aplenty and often is hangin and learning etc with the Big boys in Florida and has demoed pretty much most top brands out there and if he has questions he call the likes of Matt Rini, Nate Smith , Ryan Dodd etc and gets there take on things.. This is the guy you want to talk to...

DFTR Josh
06-08-2016, 01:37 AM
www.marine-products.com has a show room that will blow your mind with ski's. If you find what you line online use discount code DFTR2016 and save some cash. I have a ski family interested in my Craz, can't wait to see this demo.

iwaterskihard
06-10-2016, 02:25 PM
Ya man what Mikey said! Oh and other than that - think RADAR! :)

My question really would be if you're upgrading from an old ski question what you want in a ski? Open water only, course skiing only, maybe a bit of both? Slalom skis have changed a ton since your old HO and are faster, more responsive, and generally way better than they used to be.

Ryan Dodd is a great spokesperson of Shuswap Ski. It's also good to support local business. Wizard Lake Marine in Calmar,and Ocean Sports on Whyte Ave, and Barry J's, & Martin Motor Sports on north side of Edmonton might be able to help you out too? Ken Nelson at Shalom will carry D3 skis too if memory serves me right.

Good luck. Please post what you end up purchasing? By the way I have a beautiful Radar Lithium Vapor Limited Edition I'd be willing to sell and even bring to Canada in August when I go to Sylvan Lake for a wedding! :)

I see your from St Albert.. Not sure if or how often you may get down to Calgary , but Shuswap ski and Board here in Calgary has pretty much the best selection and service Likely in western Canada.. They usually have a good selection till season end, and they have the Knowledge and skills to steer you right...

They also do Demo,s ,with deposit ,of course.. You may want to look them up online or call them and talk to them directly...Mike the owner, is a past Canadian ski coach.. Very knowledgeable and just plain nice guy to talk to. He can advise you or help pick a ski that should be right for you.. His staff all ski or board and are all good as well..

Mike has connections aplenty and often is hangin and learning etc with the Big boys in Florida and has demoed pretty much most top brands out there and if he has questions he call the likes of Matt Rini, Nate Smith , Ryan Dodd etc and gets there take on things.. This is the guy you want to talk to...

moombabound
06-11-2016, 11:58 PM
Hey iwaterski, thanks for your detailed reply to my earlier PM, on zabooda's recommendation.
I've gotten to know all the local guys over the years: Martin, Wizard, Ocean, Barry J. Ya I support local, but they have no stock; I've spoken to, or visited them all.
Thanks for the offer on the Lithium Vapour, but that's a 36 MPH ski, and the only time I'll be doing 36 is on the WAY TO the lake!

Mikey, called Shuswap. Mike was with a cust. Gal answering said he's certainly the guy to speak to or email. So sent him a detailed email asking him to call or write, but nothing so far. And their inventory (website) is mostly last years stuff.

Still figuring...gotta lock this down before summer vacay.

Mikey
06-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Hey iwaterski, thanks for your detailed reply to my earlier PM, on zabooda's recommendation.
I've gotten to know all the local guys over the years: Martin, Wizard, Ocean, Barry J. Ya I support local, but they have no stock; I've spoken to, or visited them all.
Thanks for the offer on the Lithium Vapour, but that's a 36 MPH ski, and the only time I'll be doing 36 is on the WAY TO the lake!

Mikey, called Shuswap. Mike was with a cust. Gal answering said he's certainly the guy to speak to or email. So sent him a detailed email asking him to call or write, but nothing so far. And their inventory (website) is mostly last years stuff.

Still figuring...gotta lock this down before summer vacay.

I would say you gotta try to get Mike again... As for stock online, I went through that as well, but they are not always up to date with what is or is not online so talking personally is definitely the way to go..
I am on a Radar Vapour Lithium as well and Never ski 36,34 only , so don,t always discount a ski just because.. As mentioned above we both skied HO And now ski Radar... Go Radar haha

iwaterskihard
06-27-2016, 08:46 AM
So..............did we find a ski yet? :)

moombabound
06-28-2016, 10:07 AM
Aye, swung to the Radar camp last week...like nearly everyone else. Senate Graphite. Seems self-fulfilling for Radar: H.O. Stock is non-existent, but no problem with Radar.
4 skis one night on Jackfish, and a couple yesterday on Lake Okanagan. No regrets. More concave; better turns vs my old H.O. Vengeance. And my kids think it looks super-cool. Which, by the way, don't discount the aesthetics in Radars success. With Radar & Ronix, they have that part nailed.

I do regret not being able to try the HO CX. Though it's chok full of gimmicks, I would have liked to demo, but needed to get 'er done prior to VA. Also, to order one in at $1300...well, the Senate is under $900. My 1st upgrade ever, 10 years skiing, and maybe LAST! So had to get it right. Thanks guys for chiming in.

Also demo'ing set of Radar boots, tho not sure I can give up my wraps; so used to the ankle hugging. But I get the step-in convenience factor. Tried a set of boots 2 years ago tho, and skiing was just aweful. Will be swapping out the wraps and bolting them on today. (Put the wraps on for direct comparison of the ski).

And...have an RHP on demo. Rear Heal Piece. Perfect! Why wasn't that thought of before?

iwaterskihard
06-28-2016, 04:10 PM
Good for you man! Get out there and get working on your body alignment and get making that ski do what it's supposed to do for you! :)