PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Mondo, where to lube the rudder?

bjrow
06-04-2016, 07:27 PM
Hey guys, Winter over here so thought between the rain, hail and snow I'd do a little maintenance.
Was looking for a way to put some grease into the rudder bearing for a 2014 Mondo but cannot find what we call here a "grease nipple".
Perhaps I'm looking for the wrong kind of thing, I assume I can just click on a grease gun and pump some grease in.
Any info would be appreciated. Searched for rudder and a thing called a zirc(?) without much luck.
Cheers BruceR.

mmandley
06-05-2016, 11:55 AM
I honestly didn't know you could grease them. I have never greased mine on either boat i owned.

kaneboats
06-06-2016, 10:22 AM
I used to grease the one on my Outback. There is no fitting on the one on the LSV.

VA LSV
06-06-2016, 03:00 PM
My 05 LSV has a zerk fitting (grease nipple) on the rudder port supporting the rudder shaft where it goes through the hull. Fitting is hard to see and not easy to get a grease gun on. A few shots of grease is part of my winterizing process.

mcdye
06-06-2016, 03:43 PM
My 02 had a grease fitting, my 10, 13 and 14 did not have one.

bjrow
06-06-2016, 10:07 PM
Well there you go, maybe I don't need to do it if I can't find the zerk. Will take another look down there shortly and see, if none great I'll drop a bit of oil/grease on the steering cable and consider job done.

Did the oil change and oil filter a few weeks back, amazing how "used" the oil looks after only 30hrs use compared with a car. Still using mineral based oil till 100hrs might go synthetic afterwards. Anyhow will keep doing this regularly, not too hard really.

Cheers BruceR

mmandley
06-07-2016, 09:28 AM
Boat engines work a lot more then a car engine lol.

Your pushing 4-5K weight through water with a single speed transmission, vs 3-4K car on wheels with 4-8speed transmission.

kaneboats
06-07-2016, 01:20 PM
I have thought about drilling a hole and adding a grease fitting. I just hate lying down back there so haven't done it. Wonder what the life expectancy is without being able to grease?