PDA

View Full Version : Post from the past...boat pricing

mazzyel2162
06-03-2016, 07:51 AM
Interesting how far boating has come price wise.

Here's a post from October 2003

10-29-2003, 09:39 AM

I just can't imagine why someone would want to spend $70,000 on a waterski/wakeboard boat. You can get a top notch similar type of boat from any other manufacture for much less. For my Money I will stick with Skiers Choice Supras and Moombas. I have no real complaints with my 2001 Mobius, it's a great boat and puts out a decent wake.

moombadaze
06-03-2016, 01:53 PM
13 yrs and the top end prices are about double that now, make me wonder where the prices will be in 10 yrs, 250k ?

icemanftr
06-03-2016, 02:50 PM
People selling 06 Moombas around here for 35k. Lol They didn't even cost 35k on 06!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trayson
06-03-2016, 03:18 PM
People selling 06 Moombas around here for 35k. Lol They didn't even cost 35k on 06!!!!

Really? a 2004 XLV was $36k base price, $40k with options.

icemanftr
06-03-2016, 03:20 PM
Really? a 2004 XLV was $36k base price, $40k with options.

XLV maybe, not LS though. My point is people actually price a lot of older boats like that for what they were new or even more. But people still pay it, too each their own.

trayson
06-03-2016, 03:38 PM
XLV maybe, not LS though. My point is people actually price a lot of older boats like that for what they were new or even more. But people still pay it, too each their own.

that makes sense for a direct drive. I remember around 2000 when a buddy of mine got a brand new Sport Nautique made for him. no tower back then, but it did have a pair of gravity fed ballast tanks, heater, shower. It didn't break the 30k mark.

admittedly, some of the stuff that has come on the scene since then adds SOME of the value (towers, "basic" stereos that have tower speakers/amps/sub, ballast systems). But on the flip side, they quickly realized in the mid 2000's that as expensive as they build them, people will buy them.

sandm
06-03-2016, 03:58 PM
I priced out an '07 lsv new and it was just a smidge over 40k otd.

compare today's pricing. same boat- craz- around 65k guessing otd for some options- not too crazy :)
60% increase in $$.
9 years later, bet that the average buyer has an income level higher than the average income level of 2007 so it should be somewhat relative.

I would guess that, similar to the top end of the market in '07, a higher percentage of the top end boats are sold with a check and not financing and for that group, price is not really an issue.

icemanftr
06-03-2016, 04:05 PM

compare today's pricing. same boat- craz- around 65k guessing otd for some options- not too crazy :)
60% increase in $$.
9 years later, bet that the average buyer has an income level higher than the average income level of 2007 so it should be somewhat relative.

I would guess that, similar to the top end of the market in '07, a higher percentage of the top end boats are sold with a check and not financing and for that group, price is not really an issue.

I been at my job for 9 years to be exact and I sure haven't received a 60% increase, more like 10%. Can't argue that inflation has killed more people than less in the economy. Buying groceries and gas these days cost more than my house. It's absurd!

trayson
06-03-2016, 04:06 PM

60% increase in $$.

For what it's worth, I just looked at a paycheck stub from 2007 vs today and I make 23% more today than I did back then and I work in the same company with the same position. Ironically, just after 2007 was the housing and economy crash. I vividly remember having to go through salary freezes for a few years because of all that. I guess they didn't have boat price freezes back then!

viking
06-03-2016, 05:10 PM
What I think is amazing is that you guys keep your paycheck stubs from 9 or 10 years ago! LOL

blackcup
06-03-2016, 05:36 PM
The prices in Canada have gotten even more ridiculous because of the really shitty exchange rate that started about a year/18 months ago. I bought my 2014 when the dollar was very close to par and paid $65K with options/discounts. I could now sell that same boat here for 70K. There is just no inventory around that is under the 100K mark. Makes my boat look like a steal.

I went and looked a fully loaded G23 the other day and it was coming in around 230K.

vanlew
06-03-2016, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=mazzyel2162;288978]Interesting how far boating has come price wise.

Here's a copy of my bill of sale on a 2000 Outback LS. You can still find these boats going for $15-$16,000 today, not bad for holding value.
And Mastercraft has already broken the $200,000 price.

Boonejeepin
06-04-2016, 02:26 PM
2010 XLV
Boat list price with options = $65,620

Sold to me for $48,625.

I don't think I can stomach the thought of $75k plus for a boat that does basically the same thing. Although I am drawn by the shiny and new from time to time.

saskyrider
06-05-2016, 10:03 AM
I bought my Mondo in April of 2014 for just under 60k CAD that same boat right now with more hrs is listed at 65k on kijiji. And there are lots of them priced the same.... and I got really lucky and got the last Mondo the dealer had purchased with the cad at near to participate with usd. The Mondos that they were bringing in that spring were 5k more just on exchange

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

mmandley
06-05-2016, 10:09 AM
When I got my 08 LSV which was pretty loaded I paid $39,999 sold it 3 summers and 275hrs later for $37,500.

Mojo I can't list my purchase price but according to the used ones on the market I am worth more then I paid still.

Dandy21
06-05-2016, 11:28 AM
I am looking at a 2007 boat that I think I can pick up for about $36K. I am quite sure that they didn't pay much more than that new. They got +/-9 years and about 500 hours of fun out of it. I have owned 2 different new tow boats since 2013 on being a G23 and at this point I am happy to get a 9 year old boat because we can do this without payments. This owner has cared for it well and had a full ballast system professionally installed and has upgraded some gear. Fun. Thing with the used market, as new prices increase so do used. Heck if we get this boat I may get 4-5 years out of her and only take a minimal hit in price making purchasing a used boat actually a good deal even though we are paying close to what they were new.

blackcup
06-05-2016, 01:09 PM
I bought my Mondo in April of 2014 for just under 60k CAD that same boat right now with more hrs is listed at 65k on kijiji. And there are lots of them priced the same.... and I got really lucky and got the last Mondo the dealer had purchased with the cad at near to participate with usd. The Mondos that they were bringing in that spring were 5k more just on exchange

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Sasky - its nuts here in Kelowna too. Absolutely NO used inventory around ... and anything that is for sale here is jacked way up and sells within a week. Sellers market when it comes to boats. I am pretty tempted to sell a 2 year old boat for more than we paid for it ... but the cost to upgrade is pretty substantial. Its a hard decision because if I were ever want to upgrade ... now is the time to do it as the new boats aren't ever going to come down in price.