PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth Receiver for Aux In

NoleAlum
06-02-2016, 09:01 PM
Guys

Not a sound guy so bear with me. Have generic Sony head unit that came with 12 LS Cdx-m60ui. I wanted ability to stream music through Bluetooth instead of wired so I can control from phone at helm. Bought Exile BT unit that goes to Aux Rca plugs in rear of unit. Spliced wires and connected but found out the plugs on unit are for BUS and not aux in. Couldn't get it to work because wasn't source selection for bus. Only radio, USB, and Aux in.

If I am doing something wrong please let me know but do not think it will work.

If not still want BT. Looks like there are a lot that plug into Aux In which is in front. Just wanted to see if anyone has used one they like.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

MLA
06-02-2016, 09:52 PM
Google "sony BUS audio in". It was originally intended for their external CD changer.

philwsailz
06-03-2016, 10:19 AM
Guys

Not a sound guy so bear with me. Have generic Sony head unit that came with 12 LS Cdx-m60ui. I wanted ability to stream music through Bluetooth instead of wired so I can control from phone at helm. Bought Exile BT unit that goes to Aux Rca plugs in rear of unit. Spliced wires and connected but found out the plugs on unit are for BUS and not aux in. Couldn't get it to work because wasn't source selection for bus. Only radio, USB, and Aux in.

If I am doing something wrong please let me know but do not think it will work.

If not still want BT. Looks like there are a lot that plug into Aux In which is in front. Just wanted to see if anyone has used one they like.

Thanks for the help!

Double-check the back of the radio. The distributor for Sony to the OEM boat builders did a modification on a lot of them that re-wired the front AUX input to a set of RCA cables that are hanging out the back of the radio. If you can get to the back, look for a set of RCA cables dangling back there. If so, and if they are unlabeled, hook your BT receiver to them and select AUX. Hopefully this is the case and it will work for you.

Phil
Kicker

David Analog
06-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Not sure if this is your issue on the Sony HU model 60, but many Sony HU's have an Aux Lite rather than a true Aux In. There are adapters such as the Sony XAC40, and the XA300 before it, that will open that input and provide a menu selection for non-UniLink devices. However, at the cost of the adapter, you are well on your way to a replacement Sony HU that will already have BT built-in. You've got to stay with Sony to maintain your existing remote control function.

jmvotto
06-03-2016, 11:14 AM
Not sure if this is your issue on the Sony HU model 60, but many Sony HU's have an Aux Lite rather than a true Aux In. There are adapters such as the Sony XAC40, and the XA300 before it, that will open that input and provide a menu selection for non-UniLink devices. However, at the cost of the adapter, you are well on your way to a replacement Sony HU that will already have BT built-in. You've got to stay with Sony to maintain your existing remote control function.

Got good suggestions for a sony BT that will works with the two sony remotes I have on my 2012 remote sony rm x60 m/L and
rm x11m

Phil I will check out that unlabeled rca if it is there....

philwsailz
06-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Got good suggestions for a sony BT that will works with the two sony remotes I have on my 2012 remote sony rm x60 m/L and
rm x11m

Phil I will check out that unlabeled rca if it is there....

If you have an AUX/USB port somewhere on the boat, the RCA inputs I am talking about may be connected to the AUX/USB port. IF so, you can simply disconnect the port's RCA connectors from the rear RCA AUX cables, and connect your BT adaptor to them. Doing this will not affect the USB function at the AUX/USB port and it will still work for charging and playback via the USB portion or the remote port. Make sense?

Phil
Kicker

viking
06-03-2016, 01:30 PM
a bluetooth USB dongle could have been your simple solution NO?

jmvotto
06-03-2016, 01:33 PM
I have the exile BT which is RCA based, I bought a rca to USB adapter, but the" flux capacitor" speeds and mili volts wont translate. so RCA it is.

philwsailz
06-03-2016, 01:34 PM
a bluetooth USB dongle could have been your simple solution NO?

That would work. I use a Miccus branded BT TX/RX unit on my sailboat connected to the same CDX-M60Ui radio and it works fine.

NoleAlum
06-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Double-check the back of the radio. The distributor for Sony to the OEM boat builders did a modification on a lot of them that re-wired the front AUX input to a set of RCA cables that are hanging out the back of the radio. If you can get to the back, look for a set of RCA cables dangling back there. If so, and if they are unlabeled, hook your BT receiver to them and select AUX. Hopefully this is the case and it will work for you.

Phil
Kicker
Phil
Thanks for the suggestion. There are two unmarked female plugs in the back that are both black. I tried to plugging them into it and didn't work. Not sure where those plugs go in the back of the unit. Wondering if I didn't wait long enough or should try and switch them.
Do you think they are black? Assume I would put source to Aux In correct?

Thanks guys for the advice.

zambonidriver
06-04-2016, 03:54 PM
I struggled with this too and ended up with a RadioShack Bluetooth module that I put in the glove box and leave plugged into a cigarette light and the aux input. Works perfectly and was 35 bucks. I mount my phone on a suction cup at the helm so I can use navionics and I just run everything from there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

philwsailz
06-04-2016, 04:00 PM
Phil
Thanks for the suggestion. There are two unmarked female plugs in the back that are both black. I tried to plugging them into it and didn't work. Not sure where those plugs go in the back of the unit. Wondering if I didn't wait long enough or should try and switch them.
Do you think they are black? Assume I would put source to Aux In correct?

Thanks guys for the advice.

So you have a female RCA pair dangling out the back of the radio, right? If so those are for sure the RCA cables added to the AUX front input on the CDX-M60Ui. A stock 69Ui has no loose cables on the back.

Connect your BT adaptor there. Make sure it has power. Then make sure you can pair to it. It all should work. If not test it by connecting some other known-working source to that rear AUX connection to verify it is working.

NoleAlum
06-08-2016, 08:43 AM
So you have a female RCA pair dangling out the back of the radio, right? If so those are for sure the RCA cables added to the AUX front input on the CDX-M60Ui. A stock 69Ui has no loose cables on the back.

Connect your BT adaptor there. Make sure it has power. Then make sure you can pair to it. It all should work. If not test it by connecting some other known-working source to that rear AUX connection to verify it is working.
Thanks for the information and will try. Would the input be Aux or USB when trying to find it? The females are black and not red and white so does it matter which one goes into which?

Thanks again.

philwsailz
06-08-2016, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the information and will try. Would the input be Aux or USB when trying to find it? The females are black and not red and white so does it matter which one goes into which?

Thanks again.

Left vs. right is not super critical, so knowing which black is right and which is left will not be a big deal. You will select AUX as the source when trying to play something through the back set of RCA cables.

Phil
Kicker

smokeysevin
06-08-2016, 05:44 PM
I had tried that on our old sony and it didn't work. I am intrigued by the usb bluetooth though, I wouldn't have guessed that it would work.

Sean

Derrick
06-08-2016, 06:31 PM
We use this on our boat.

http://www.dx.com/p/lit-lsmy-01-bluetooth-v2-1-usb-2-0-adapter-white-translucent-blue-305600#.V1icapD3arU

Works great for the price. There is a lag between pressing a button on my phone and the volume going up or down.

russellsmojo
06-08-2016, 09:09 PM
The exile audio Bluetooth is really good. Hides away under dash and connects to rca inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLA
06-08-2016, 09:41 PM
^^^^^ If the head unit has RCA inputs, which is the topic of this 2 page thread.

To the OP, heres what pops up if you google Sony BUS audio in http://www.crutchfield.com/S-WAk78uqIfQI/p_127AUXONS/PAC-Unilink-Adapter-For-Sony.html

Plug it in and the head unit thinks theres a CD changer there, BUS IN becomes active. Works great if you cant get any other method to work.

CamasDerek
10-14-2016, 12:26 AM
Guys, need help here. I bought the PAC Unilink Adapter For Sony to plug into the BUS in the back of the Sony - plugged in fine. This enabled the CD2 on the display, and the exile plugged into the back of the deck - all good. However, the sound quality through this channel is NOT good. I use the USB pigtail to connect my iPhone 5S and the music sounds amazing. But using same phone in bluetooth mode via CD2 = poor sound quality. What up? Am I going to have to replace the deck for one with bluetooth and ditch the exile? Any help greatly appreciated (hoping it may be a setting on the deck or something...)

MLA
10-14-2016, 08:23 AM
Cames,

The issue is that the BT receiver's output voltage level is too high for many head unit AUX inputs, which are obviously designed for the headphone level output of a music source. Its basically too strong of a signal. If the head unit has an adjustable AUX level, turn it down. Dont run your phone's volume past 80% and make sure the EQ is off or flat. Start there.

jmvotto
10-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Guys, need help here. I bought the PAC Unilink Adapter For Sony to plug into the BUS in the back of the Sony - plugged in fine. This enabled the CD2 on the display, and the exile plugged into the back of the deck - all good. However, the sound quality through this channel is NOT good. I use the USB pigtail to connect my iPhone 5S and the music sounds amazing. But using same phone in bluetooth mode via CD2 = poor sound quality. What up? Am I going to have to replace the deck for one with bluetooth and ditch the exile? Any help greatly appreciated (hoping it may be a setting on the deck or something...)

I did not have any problem with my sound quality its just hit or miss to get the cd2 to show up.

CamasDerek
10-15-2016, 02:04 PM
OK figured it out and posting hoping this might help someone in the future: you have to configure the sound in the CD2 input to make it the same as the USB input (in my case, I wanted wired iPhone to sound same as BT iPhone). Put deck in USB mode, push and hold the volume dial and go through each setting and write them down. Then toggle to CD2 input, hold in volume dial again and change all the settings to be the same. Wah lah! Sounds awesome - as good as wired!

MLA
10-15-2016, 06:18 PM
OK figured it out and posting hoping this might help someone in the future: you have to configure the sound in the CD2 input to make it the same as the USB input (in my case, I wanted wired iPhone to sound same as BT iPhone). Put deck in USB mode, push and hold the volume dial and go through each setting and write them down. Then toggle to CD2 input, hold in volume dial again and change all the settings to be the same. Wah lah! Sounds awesome - as good as wired!

Would be more helpful if you posted what head unit and model you have. That setting would be proprietary to you head head unit, not all.

Birdman
10-16-2016, 01:55 AM
i used this http://www.primecables.com/p-306355-cab-audio-1m-to-2rca-m-35mm-audio-cable-1male-to-2rca-male-6inch?gclid=Cj0KEQjwp4fABRCer93Klpaki94BEiQAsXJMGu V6Ljh82P4XWZ0y3EHOMilj3IuoprlHfNLXk-pPnbgaAhRW8P8HAQ and this http://www.avshop.ca/wire-amp-cable/adaptors-hard/avshop-rca-female-to-rca-female-adapter?gclid=Cj0KEQjwp4fABRCer93Klpaki94BEiQAsXJM GoDDwVlRRhs-KfMdi7obXetsB1zOcEBeoBSDPtLsVY8aAl2y8P8HAQ with a exile B T unit the factory sony head unit on my boat didn't have inputs in the back