PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Mondo Surf disappointing.

Noodle15
06-01-2016, 07:22 PM
I am a new owner and surfer to a 2016 mondo surf edition with the plates and tabs. Can anyone guide me where to get a direct fit upgraded weight bag 900lb or 1100lb for the rear lockers? I filled all bags and plates adjusted some and it was a small wave, I will play with it more and any suggestions for a mondo would be great but am looking where everyone is buys a direct fit and hook up fat sac for rear lockers..? Thanks in advance

wolfeman131
06-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Get in touch with the folks at Wakemakers. Call & let them know you're from the Moomba forum & they will treat you right.

Got to admit that I can't stand posts such as this. You title it "disappointing" then immediately admit you're a new owner & surfer. Did you do any research before buying the boat or heading out for your first surf set? Were you expecting a 5ft high wave?

nitrodude24
06-01-2016, 07:33 PM
Hit wakemakers up they will hook u up with drop ins for the mono I think the sumo 900s fit mono really well plus there is a moomba forum discount 10%. Let some Ballast out of the non surf side to help slight list this will help a little.

nitrodude24
06-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Also remember you need atleast 10-12 ft of water to allow the wave to form anything less and it is really short no push

Noodle15
06-01-2016, 07:52 PM
Thanks Guys. Yes I am new and no I did not expect a 5ft wave, but it was what I could afford and seemed like it came with most amenities and ballast with surf flow. I have yet to really dial anything in and do appreciate all the help, as I ride I would like the auto surf to serve its purpose on transfers... Thanks again fellas.

wolfeman131
06-01-2016, 07:56 PM
use the advanced search button @ top right of the page and then type in:

BrettLee3232

under user name.

He has worked on his Mondo surf wave a bit and you should be able to pick up some good info

Noodle15
06-01-2016, 08:05 PM
Thank you..

07STI
06-01-2016, 08:43 PM
I understand where you're coming from Noodle. Being new to wakeboats and seeing all the advertising, you assume that it works "out of the box" as advertised. Unless you do research, you don't know that it typically requires upgrading ballast bags and some time to dial in th wave. So it feels like you just spent a bunch of money on something that isn't nearly as simple as it sounds.

Drew and nitrodude are steering you in the right direction. Spend some time researching. I think you'll be happy after upgrading bags and spending some time dialing in the wave.

Good luck and welcome to the forums!

Noodle15
06-01-2016, 09:30 PM
Yeah I knew it would take some time to dial in, but like you said it seemed it should have been simpler. I think after a couple dry runs to test port side should be good to dial in. Its my first ski/wakeboat so it is new.. In good time. Always appreciate the advice here from the Veterans.

nitrodude24
06-01-2016, 10:48 PM
Any manufacturer will include what's adequate not necessarily whats best. With the ballast included in the boat it's surfable just not for everyone. As soon as you progress you want bigger and more wave it the nature of any sport or hobby you want to squeeze every ounce out of your equipment, with wakesurfing you progress rapidly and so does the requirements

nitrodude24
06-01-2016, 10:55 PM
My point is bigger guys need bigger waves etc.... everything has its limits so does 2000-2500 lbs of ballast. On our 15 mojo I was running 400 lbs of ballast to push by 200 plus butt lol

icemanftr
06-02-2016, 02:06 AM
Were you expecting a 5ft high wave?

Mines 5' high. 😀

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrettLee3232
06-02-2016, 02:20 AM
I have a 15 Mondo with the 2.0 Blades, 900lb rears, 250lb under port seat & 750lb ibs. So I'm running 3300lbs give or take a few of ballast plus friends. I also upgraded to a 2079 prop.

Best wave I've ridden (regular) was 10.8mph Flow at 65% wake plate at around 90%. 3 passengers + driver & baby.

It defiantly takes some fine tuning to get the wave right but you want to upgrade to the 900s & 750ibs for sure!!!! I added the 250lb port bag for when it's just my wife and daughter. Made a world of difference imo. I couldn't go rope less before unless I had another passenger (I'm 280). I call. That bag my fat friend!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160602/9e8d3048578d6cf0aea0b51cd5bb465f.jpg

Goofy is another story....
Starboard 100% full, port side about 25% full, ibs 100% full, flow at 100% wake plate at 55% & 10.8mph.

Took me a long time to get my goofy wave dialed in!!!!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160602/7b21cd8e1cac282e7b9377dd31e98f30.jpg

You will need a upgraded prop and engine divider panel saver kits as well.

Also post some pics of your boat!!!!

jmvotto
06-02-2016, 09:17 AM
its like a sports car , will it go fast yes, will it run a track out of the box , nope.

good advice on here, the mondo can surf with no problems, rider skill, boat setup and quality of board will equal happy surfing.

Noodle15
06-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Thanks guys. I will try to get some photos of the boat up. And will play with the system some more. I will definitely have to upgrade ballast bags in back. Right now standard boat sits with 1300#. So I assume 525 in back and a 250 up front. we have a 15x13 prop a oj945. They sell a 750 ibs for the mondo? is it plug and play? Looks like I will be looking into new sacs.

Noodle15
06-02-2016, 10:45 AM
Is there a way to identify on the ballast bags that are currently in there how many lbs they are. I swear when I bought the boat it came loaded with 2300# so I would assume 900's in back and 500 in front? But from looking back into paper work I see some many different things, say 1300# on sheet listing but moombas site says 1800 up gradable? Want to make sure I can Identify everything first. I know this may sound dumb but as it was stated Yes I am a new wakeboat owner.

13mobiusLSV
06-02-2016, 11:17 AM
I'm not quite up to speed on the newest models but I think you have 650s in the rear, 500 hard tank, and 500IBS.

nitrodude24
06-02-2016, 11:30 AM
13 mobius is correct 2300 lbs total on surf edition. 650 rears x 2, 500 tank and optional 500 ibs

Noodle15
06-02-2016, 12:13 PM
Awesome. You guys are a great help. I will be taking the boat out after work to play. Still looking to upgrade those back bags very quick...

07STI
06-02-2016, 12:57 PM
its like a sports car , will it go fast yes, will it run a track out of the box , nope.

good advice on here, the mondo can surf with no problems, rider skill, boat setup and quality of board will equal happy surfing.

I agree to some extent.

A Z06 and 911 turbo are advertised as being able to hit the track out of the box, and you can with excellent results. However, they're not advertised AS track cars. Chevy and Porsche would love to put track tires on these cars from the factory so they can show better test results, but most owners aren't going to be tracking their cars and it would be a liability issue, so they put high performance tires on that can serve street and track duty.

Also, it doesn't take time to dial in a Z06 at the track. You can literally hop in the car and go. It outperforms 95%+ of the drivers that take it to the track. Sure, it takes some time for the driver to figure out the track and how the car reacts, but it does not require any settings changes.

I don't think that scenario holds true for a new Moomba. I wasn't able to just load up the ballast, throw a switch, and start riding ropeless. But from my perspective, that's how it's advertised. It's being advertised AS a wakeboarding and surf boat that is ready to go out of the box. I think the wakeboard wake is good out of the box, but there's time and additional cost to get a big/clean wave that can get you going ropeless.

That was my issue, but it was relatively minor IMO. Just took some reading and a few hundred $'s.

sandm
06-02-2016, 01:56 PM
I do agree with 07 however it's with any boat. my current boat didn't surf worth a crap out of the box but plug/play bag swap and it was ready to go.

some of the issues imo are all the "adjustments" that can be made to the current surfboats now just to keep a boat from listing. between ballast filling, trim tabs and now surf tabs, there are way too many adjustments to tweak a wave and what you read online worked for that person, that day, with that many peeps in the boat on a particular body of water. some of the surf systems that I have operated have not been real "adjust on the fly" easy especially for someone who does not own the boat. lots of challenges.

muehlcj
06-02-2016, 04:40 PM
I agree to some extent.

A Z06 and 911 turbo are advertised as being able to hit the track out of the box, and you can with excellent results. However, they're not advertised AS track cars. Chevy and Porsche would love to put track tires on these cars from the factory so they can show better test results, but most owners aren't going to be tracking their cars and it would be a liability issue, so they put high performance tires on that can serve street and track duty.

Also, it doesn't take time to dial in a Z06 at the track. You can literally hop in the car and go. It outperforms 95%+ of the drivers that take it to the track. Sure, it takes some time for the driver to figure out the track and how the car reacts, but it does not require any settings changes.

I don't think that scenario holds true for a new Moomba. I wasn't able to just load up the ballast, throw a switch, and start riding ropeless. But from my perspective, that's how it's advertised. It's being advertised AS a wakeboarding and surf boat that is ready to go out of the box. I think the wakeboard wake is good out of the box, but there's time and additional cost to get a big/clean wave that can get you going ropeless.

That was my issue, but it was relatively minor IMO. Just took some reading and a few hundred $'s.

Your analogy with the Z06 actually really holds true. The entire Moomba line factory wave will outperform 95% of the surfers out there. Put Drew's girls behind any one of the boats factory setup and they are going to shred.

What you are asking SC to do is like going to Chevy in your above example and saying; well I'm new to racing so you should put 1000hp in the Z06 instead of 600hp because it's not fast enough for me to compete with the guys that have been pulling track time for 10+ years.

With that said I could surf my mojo stock all day but in the end I added 1100's, 400 under seat & ibs. Bigger is better but not necessary to ride.

dlowe
06-02-2016, 04:49 PM
I guess I must be one of the lucky ones because our 2015 surf edition Mondo surfed great out of the box. I still have the factory installed bags and have no complaints on the wave size or push. My neighbor who works at a Natique dealer is even impressed with the wave. Yes, the Natique G series wave is taller but not by a lot and I think our wave is longer.

For regular we run both rear bags full and the front IBS at 75% and wake plate all the way up. We also run a lot slower than most - 9.6 mph seems like the best speed with only a few in the boat. For goofy, we drain the port bag to 70% and that seems to help clean up the lip quite a bit. I'm a pretty big guy at 6' and 220lbs and get plenty of push riding a Ronix Koal long board.

Not the best picture but you can see a very decent factory wave IMO (not sure if adding image right)
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7668/27324674242_189e60b791_b.jpg

07STI
06-02-2016, 05:14 PM
Your analogy with the Z06 actually really holds true. The entire Moomba line factory wave will outperform 95% of the surfers out there. Put Drew's girls behind any one of the boats factory setup and they are going to shred.

What you are asking SC to do is like going to Chevy in your above example and saying; well I'm new to racing so you should put 1000hp in the Z06 instead of 600hp because it's not fast enough for me to compete with the guys that have been pulling track time for 10+ years.

With that said I could surf my mojo stock all day but in the end I added 1100's, 400 under seat & ibs. Bigger is better but not necessary to ride.

I think we're looking at things differently.

My point is that if I go purchase a new Z06, I can take it to the track and not have to change any settings (other than put it in track mode), and I can drive it out of the box to my full capabilities. And I'll likely be able to drive it to my full capabilities for as long as I own it. Adding more power likely won't improve my lap times. Out of the box, it performs better than I ever will.

I cannot take a new (stock) Moomba, fill ballast, throw a switch, set the cruise, and surf to my full capabilities. I need to make a bunch of adjustments and spend money on larger bags to get a wave that I can surf ropeless. Adding more weight and changing settings will improve my riding.

When I see videos/pictures of a new Moomba, it looks like it's as simple as fill ballast, throw a switch, set your cruise, and you'll have a perfect wave to ride ropeless. However, that isn't the case. There are so many variables...Water depth, speed, weight of passengers, placement of passengers, autoflow settings, and wakeplate setting. Yet, there's no guide provided. I know that it would be difficult, but I think there could be something that explains how autoflow 2.0 works, and what settings to use depending on the type of wave desired.

I don't want my post to come off as hating on Moomba/SC. I am extremely happy with my CRAZ. However, I completely understand what the OP is going through and where he's coming from.

mazzyel2162
06-02-2016, 06:30 PM
"I don't think that scenario holds true for a new Moomba. I wasn't able to just load up the ballast, throw a switch, and start riding ropeless."

I was to able do such when I took delivery of my 2009 Outback V. I surfed the thing with glee with the 400 lb sacks in the rear.

My point being....no matter how much you spend on upgrades, you ain't gonna surf anything right away if you don't know how to surf.

You guys learning to surf today have it easy. When I was taught, it was behind my 2003 Outback direct drive. No ballast, no wake plate. Just three people sitting on the corner of the boat!

13mobiusLSV
06-02-2016, 06:41 PM
"

You guys learning to surf today have it easy. When I was taught, it was behind my 2003 Outback direct drive. No ballast, no wake plate. Just three people sitting on the corner of the boat!

I bet you had to surf uphill both ways too??

mazzyel2162
06-02-2016, 06:42 PM
while carrying my lunch in 5 miles of snow. Actually it was uphill. Florida lakes flow north.

07STI
06-02-2016, 06:43 PM
"I don't think that scenario holds true for a new Moomba. I wasn't able to just load up the ballast, throw a switch, and start riding ropeless."

I was to able do such when I took delivery of my 2009 Outback V. I surfed the thing with glee with the 400 lb sacks in the rear.

My point being....no matter how much you spend on upgrades, you ain't gonna surf anything right away if you don't know how to surf

Few things...My point of the first comment you quoted is that there are a bunch of settings with the new systems you need to figure out. It isn't simply fill everything throw a switch, and go. Was your LSV listed, or did you have a wakeplate and surf tabs with settings to change?

With respect to not being able to surf right away if you don't know how to surf, I disagree. I was able to surf ropeless behind a fellow forum members tige my first outing, which was my first time being on a surf board. I wasn't great, but I surfed it ropeless. That was not the case with my CRAZ. After upgrading the rear bags and spending time dialing in the wave, I could.

13mobiusLSV
06-02-2016, 06:43 PM
I knew it. I would've bet 15 miles though

mazzyel2162
06-02-2016, 06:48 PM
"With respect to not being able to surf right away if you don't know how to surf, I disagree. I was able to surf ropeless behind a fellow forum members tige my first outing, which was my first time being on a surf board. I wasn't great, but I surfed it ropeless. That was not the case with my CRAZ. After upgrading the rear bags and spending time dialing in the wave, I could."

I would bet $1.00 it wasn't the stock CRAZ causing the difference.

jmvotto
06-02-2016, 06:51 PM
I guess I must be one of the lucky ones because our 2015 surf edition Mondo surfed great out of the box. I still have the factory installed bags and have no complaints on the wave size or push. My neighbor who works at a Natique dealer is even impressed with the wave. Yes, the Natique G series wave is taller but not by a lot and I think our wave is longer.

For regular we run both rear bags full and the front IBS at 75% and wake plate all the way up. We also run a lot slower than most - 9.6 mph seems like the best speed with only a few in the boat. For goofy, we drain the port bag to 70% and that seems to help clean up the lip quite a bit. I'm a pretty big guy at 6' and 220lbs and get plenty of push riding a Ronix Koal long board.

Not the best picture but you can see a very decent factory wave IMO (not sure if adding image right)
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7668/27324674242_189e60b791_b.jpg

That wave Looks great .
I did surf my friends mondo out of the box with manual flow and the lower stock ballast option on a cwb board.

My point is that it really takes three discipline to make it work
Rider skill, boat setup , and proper sized board .

Fwiw, I started surfing in 09 on a 20 ft v drive ski boat . It took some work but we got it dialedin ,same boat that the Wolfe girls started on

Also the dealer should show you the ropes before delivery

Enough of the negative WW rants.

07STI
06-02-2016, 06:55 PM
I'm not sure what your point is, but there's no debate that I surfed ropeless behind the tige my first time surfing and could not my first 3-4 times on the CRAZ (prior to upgrading ballast and spending time on the autoflow and wakeplate settings).

mazzyel2162
06-02-2016, 06:57 PM
"Enough of the negative WW rants. "

WHAT??? We were just getting to the point where a 12 pack of Yuengling was gonna be involved.

mazzyel2162
06-02-2016, 07:00 PM
"I'm not sure what your point is, but there's no debate that I surfed ropeless behind the tige my first time surfing and could not my first 3-4 times on the CRAZ (prior to upgrading ballast and spending time on the autoflow and wakeplate settings). "

Ok that's better....I will bet you a 12 pack of yuengling that you put me behind ANY stock so called "surf boat" and after getting used to the wave, I'll free ride it.

It ain't the boat!

07STI
06-02-2016, 07:11 PM
You, sir, have a deal! I will throw stock ballast back in and we'll head out to water depths of 7'. :p

muehlcj
06-02-2016, 07:34 PM
I think we're looking at things differently.

My point is that if I go purchase a new Z06, I can take it to the track and not have to change any settings (other than put it in track mode), and I can drive it out of the box to my full capabilities. And I'll likely be able to drive it to my full capabilities for as long as I own it. Adding more power likely won't improve my lap times. Out of the box, it performs better than I ever will.

I cannot take a new (stock) Moomba, fill ballast, throw a switch, set the cruise, and surf to my full capabilities. I need to make a bunch of adjustments and spend money on larger bags to get a wave that I can surf ropeless. Adding more weight and changing settings will improve my riding.

When I see videos/pictures of a new Moomba, it looks like it's as simple as fill ballast, throw a switch, set your cruise, and you'll have a perfect wave to ride ropeless. However, that isn't the case. There are so many variables...Water depth, speed, weight of passengers, placement of passengers, autoflow settings, and wakeplate setting. Yet, there's no guide provided. I know that it would be difficult, but I think there could be something that explains how autoflow 2.0 works, and what settings to use depending on the type of wave desired.

I don't want my post to come off as hating on Moomba/SC. I am extremely happy with my CRAZ. However, I completely understand what the OP is going through and where he's coming from.

I think we will have to agree to disagree about the definition of "ability". My opinion is your ability is stand alone. If your ability is great enough to you can surf any wave. Like jmvotto said its 3 separate and unique aspects rider skill, wave, board.

Surfing isn't like driving a car. Lets use snowboarding as an example. First time out you work on standing up maybe toeside and heel-side transitions. If you can't do it on the kiddy slope heading to the park or a double black diamond isn't going to help your ability.

07STI
06-02-2016, 08:07 PM
I'm with you on the unique aspects of rider skill, wave, and board.

My first time out to try surfing, I was able to surf a fellow forum members tige ropeless. I used 3 different boards, but the wave was the same with each board.

My next 3-4 times surfing were behind my CRAZ, and I was not able to go ropeless. What was the difference in the equation? The wave, which is what this whole thread is about.

The OP was frustrated that the surf wave wasn't what he expected. I'm just stating that I can see where he's coming from, as can a bunch of other people who have posted about having trouble dialing in the stock surf wave on their Mondo, Craz, or Mojo. Most find additional ballast to be extremely helpful, as well as playing with the speed, wakeplate, and surf tabs. It just isn't as straightforward as many people expected. That is all.

KG's Supra24
06-02-2016, 10:38 PM
Did you ride the same boards behind both boats?

I'm still dialing in but it is easily surfable. I can see both sides but agree the stock wave should be and is surfable.

For those having problems after filling surf side full, non surf side approx 3/4, bow full, plate up, surf side tab around 50% ...... check speed with GPS, make sure the bags aren't full of air, and then post your board and weight.

I bet it can be figured out.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

MJHSupra
06-02-2016, 10:41 PM
Is there a way to identify on the ballast bags that are currently in there how many lbs they are. I swear when I bought the boat it came loaded with 2300# so I would assume 900's in back and 500 in front? But from looking back into paper work I see some many different things, say 1300# on sheet listing but moombas site says 1800 up gradable? Want to make sure I can Identify everything first. I know this may sound dumb but as it was stated Yes I am a new wakeboat owner.

Surprised the local dealer will not help you. Find someone with a wake boat. Take them out with you to help.

MJHSupra
06-02-2016, 10:42 PM
I have a 15 Mondo with the 2.0 Blades, 900lb rears, 250lb under port seat & 750lb ibs. So I'm running 3300lbs give or take a few of ballast plus friends. I also upgraded to a 2079 prop.

Best wave I've ridden (regular) was 10.8mph Flow at 65% wake plate at around 90%. 3 passengers + driver & baby.

It defiantly takes some fine tuning to get the wave right but you want to upgrade to the 900s & 750ibs for sure!!!! I added the 250lb port bag for when it's just my wife and daughter. Made a world of difference imo. I couldn't go rope less before unless I had another passenger (I'm 280). I call. That bag my fat friend!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160602/9e8d3048578d6cf0aea0b51cd5bb465f.jpg

Goofy is another story....
Starboard 100% full, port side about 25% full, ibs 100% full, flow at 100% wake plate at 55% & 10.8mph.

Took me a long time to get my goofy wave dialed in!!!!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160602/7b21cd8e1cac282e7b9377dd31e98f30.jpg

You will need a upgraded prop and engine divider panel saver kits as well.

Also post some pics of your boat!!!!

That is hooked-up.

KG's Supra24
06-02-2016, 10:42 PM
And surfing isn't wakeboarding ... put weight on your front foot and lean into the wave with your toes.

I've taught several people that just expect the wave to do all the work

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

kaneboats
06-02-2016, 11:22 PM
I think you can probably surf a stock Craz but it might not be ideal. If you are above 200 lbs. and the board is a little small, the water depth is under 10 ft., you are going into the wind, etc., these factors might prevent you from going ropeless even if you know how to surf. I used to surf behind my Outback but it was not ideal. Getting pulled into the wind was just enough to make me lose the pocket every time. That's why customization is so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So you can rip even when every condition is not perfect.

mazzyel2162
06-03-2016, 05:32 AM
"You, sir, have a deal! I will throw stock ballast back in and we'll head out to water depths of 7'."

LOL Ok! but I gotta warn ya - the lakes here only average about 8' feet deep, so surfing 7' is like having home field advantage.

Need directions to Clermont?

In all seriousness, I bet the majority of guys/gals on here could free ride behind any stock boat too. I believe its kind of like bike riding - once you get the technique down you can ride any bike.

deckwork
06-03-2016, 08:49 AM
We are also brand new to the tow boat world, and was originally concerned that I would have to upgrade the ballast as it seems that the majority of owners have done this. But after reading on this forum about how to set up the boat for surfing, at least a really good starting point and then just fine tune from there. Been surfing 3 times and on our last outing managed to go rope less for just a few minutes till I dropped out of the push but I think that is my lack of experience not the boat and am looking forward to getting out and trying again. Not saying that I won't upgrade the balast down the road as I progress in the sport but I find the stock set up Works just fine.
love the sport, the boat and all the help on this forum

sivs1
06-03-2016, 09:05 AM
This thread hits home on so many levels. First, we were all newbs once before and am sure we all felt the same way, "this boat sucks". But we learn. I can say going from my LSV which was tuned in really well to my SA sucked, I had to start over and relearn the boat and setup. Rider experience comes into play, as I dialed in the LSV I also became a better rider wanting more from the board and the boat. Second, your goal should not be to go wireless right away, you need to use the rope to your advantage, if there is slack in the rope you are technically wireless but you have the safety of the rope in case you fall out of the pocket. Having 2 people on the boat vs. 6 has an impact, although it sucks its our job as the owner of the boat to dial in everything based on conditions.

Good luck, would like to see some pictures of your wave as you play with it, am sure we can help with some suggestions.

07STI
06-03-2016, 09:13 AM
the lakes here only average about 8' feet deep, so surfing 7' is like having home field advantage.

That sounds crazy! When we were working on dialing in my wave a few weeks ago, you could tell when we went from 10-12 feet down to 7 or 8. My first thought was that something was wrong...perhaps that the surf tab was no longer working. Checked the depth gauge and sure enough, we lost 3-5 feet of depth. The wave went from looking like a big/clean surf wave to a wakeboard wake.

It did take time playing with the autoflow settings, wakeplate, speed, and ballast, but I was extremely happy with the wave when we were in deeper water. I was able to surf it ropeless and the push felt similar to the tige. I'm 5'11 175lbs and ride a 4' 6" Doomswell Neo.

jmvotto
06-03-2016, 10:02 AM
question? , what tige? weight, speed etc.?

07STI
06-03-2016, 10:12 AM
question? , what tige? weight, speed etc.?

I don't have the details. The owner is on here...If he sees this, he'd probably post details.

jmvotto
06-03-2016, 10:27 AM
I don't have the details. The owner is on here...If he sees this, he'd probably post details.

Sandm?......

07STI
06-03-2016, 10:32 AM
Yep. I'm fairly certain it's a 22ve. Don't know the setup though. With it being my first time and knowing almost nothing about surfing, my only concern was getting up and trying to go ropeless. :cool:

jmvotto
06-03-2016, 10:37 AM
His tige is dialed in though on that 22ve , just sayin. it took him some time too.

07STI
06-03-2016, 10:53 AM
Definitely. I completely get that...now.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but my only point was that when I bought my boat, I thought it would be foolproof to get a good surf wave. I assumed that's what the autoflow was for...Just fill everything, flip a switch, set the speed, and you're good to go.

After finding that wasn't the case, I spent a bunch of time researching and even got some info from SC (through the autoflow 2.0 sticky that was created as a result of the questions). Now I think I'll have a killer wave and am extremely happy. I know exactly how the OP felt though when he wasn't getting the wave he expected out of the box.

jmvotto
06-03-2016, 10:56 AM
got it , Horse is officially DEAD!!!

Noodle15
06-03-2016, 11:20 AM
LOL. Even though I have a mondo I am going to read through and comb the autoflow 2.0 areas. I know its more geared towards craz but will be a great start.. This is the hardest part... Testing when I go to test it will be me in the boat driving no passengers.. I assume once people are added this will just add to the wave from the base i am creating.

Yes I did think with it being a Surf Edition I assumed it would be a buy and play application. Guess more money buys bigger boat and bigger wave?? I plan to add bigger bags in the back and a 750ibs maybe that will help out too.

KG's Supra24
06-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Even the $150k G23 guys are buying plug n play bags

mazzyel2162
06-03-2016, 11:39 AM
Noodle, post where you live - you may find some volunteers to ride with you

kaneboats
06-03-2016, 11:50 AM
Based on his accent I am going to guess the greater LA area.

Noodle15
06-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Really wow now thats crazy. I surfed behind a Supra SG and it was a pretty nice wave. but boat also had 6 or so people in it...

Noodle15
06-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Michigan. LA lol

jmvotto
06-03-2016, 11:55 AM
what part? going they next month

sandm
06-03-2016, 02:51 PM
yes. it's me and for the record, dialing that boat in required removing the 300lb factory bag and replacing it with the mla replacement bag and voila.. instant wave. I did install additional pumps for fill/drain time but that's not required. bag tho was literally a 5 minute swap.
my supra was just as easy. remove and replace and instant wave.

I do understand and appreciate 07's issues. having spent some time on his boat, surf systems look to produce a good wave while keeping a boat level, but there is a ton of setup to them. they are not "out of the box" ready to go.

Zim
06-04-2016, 08:55 AM
I don't understand why the boat companies don't just put a bag/hard tank into the boat that would fill its respective compartment from the factory. Why waste time with a 500lb bag when everyone that buys the boat is going to upgrade the bag anyway? What's the point of putting in something that doesn't make the boat perform at it's best potential. Wouldn't that make for a better reputation of the boat anyway from day one? I guess maybe they're concerned with too much weight/safety issues from the factory? That's my only guess as to why they'd essentially "de-tune" their boat from the factory.

07STI
06-04-2016, 11:14 PM
I've asked that question as well. I can only assume that it's a combination of cost savings, allowing for greater weight on the capacity sticker, and reducing liability in our extremely litigious society.

Dandy21
06-05-2016, 11:38 AM
I've asked that question as well. I can only assume that it's a combination of cost savings, allowing for greater weight on the capacity sticker, and reducing liability in our extremely litigious society.
Alot of it has to do with USCG compliance. I do believe that the ballast does go against the capacity of the boat. If it's determined the boat can be rated to 3000 capacity they cannot install 3500 of ballast and most likely could only install 2500 to leave room for a couple of people. My guess is that most who upgrade their ballast and have large crews are not "legal" based on weight capacity and surf systems running level make this more difficult as it takes more ballast. This has been my speculation and has not been documented through factual research.

BrentPerson
06-06-2016, 02:43 PM
Hey Guys I wanted to give an update to my 2016 Moomba Mondo Surf Edition.

First off I love this boat. The price point was acceptable and the storage in my garage is very nice. With that said I have upgraded the sacs in the rear lockers to 800lbs. 500 in the center hard take and 250 bow bag. I'll need to upgrade to the ACME 2079 prop so my hole shot is better. With a fully loaded boat stacking people in no particular position I'm able to surf the wave without issue. The only issue I have now is the hole shot.

I upgrade the rear sacks probably prematurely as the wave isn't a noticeable difference at least as far as I can see from the stock bags, but then again i'm only gaining a little more weight with the 800lbs sacs.

Some advice I can give out here is I'm brand new to wakesurfing, or surfing in general. I am a veteran snowboarding and ok at wakeboarding. I'm 5'10 150lbs and ride a inland surfer tako.

I was able to find both sweet spots in the wake. The front sweet spot and the rear sweet spot. I surfed just fine. The issue I had was I was treating wakesurfing like wakeboarding thus constantly putting on the breaks because I had my weight on my rear foot like I was wakeboarding.

STOP DOING THIS!!!

most of your weight should be on your forward foot once you get into the sweet spot. remember leaning forward creates speed, and leaning backwards puts on the breaks.

Sonicmax
06-23-2016, 02:37 PM
My friend has the Inland Surfer Tako. He couldn't throw the rope behind my Centurion. Then I decided to try his board. It surfed like a slug. It took a while to convince him to try my Phase 5 Colt, but as soon as he came up and hit the spot, the rope was no longer needed. The smile came across his face. My point it, that the wave, surfer, and board all have a play in surfing. Get out and try a few different boards if possible. May just be the ticket.

northern mondo owner
07-11-2016, 11:29 PM
The 2079 will work perfect. Full ballest and full capacity. Autoflow 2.0 at 65% and make sure you have the bow fully weighted. Listed u have triangle in the water viewed from behind. Rear in you have triangle in the water viewed from side. Bow down...this requires a lot of weight in front since most bodies are in the rear and you have a square. Square sunk displaces twice the volume and the autoflow handles the rests. Get a 5'8" board and you can ride at full length with crazy push and speed.

Choward2003
07-12-2016, 02:30 AM
I just took my 2 rear bags out that were 650 lbs each and had the dealer install the fly high Enzo 1450 lb bags in both rear lockers. Only negative is they extend under both seats so you lose the storage but well worth it. $1000 investment but worth the money and not having to park my new Mojo anymore to hop on my friends G25 to surf.

lsupcar
07-12-2016, 12:18 PM
I just took my 2 rear bags out that were 650 lbs each and had the dealer install the fly high Enzo 1450 lb bags in both rear lockers. Only negative is they extend under both seats so you lose the storage but well worth it. $1000 investment but worth the money and not having to park my new Mojo anymore to hop on my friends G25 to surf.

Interesting.
Could you provide more info on specifics on how they fit and how they are plumbed?
Also what your surf setup is now.
Thanks.

brain_rinse
07-12-2016, 12:33 PM
My friend has the Inland Surfer Tako. He couldn't throw the rope behind my Centurion. Then I decided to try his board. It surfed like a slug. It took a while to convince him to try my Phase 5 Colt, but as soon as he came up and hit the spot, the rope was no longer needed. The smile came across his face. My point it, that the wave, surfer, and board all have a play in surfing. Get out and try a few different boards if possible. May just be the ticket.

I agree with you - the wave, surfer, and board all have to line up. As an example, I have a Tako (and a P5) and think I could surf either of them behind a jetski wake if required. :D

Choward2003
07-12-2016, 12:56 PM
^^^ This is on a 2016 Moomba Mojo

lsupcar
07-12-2016, 08:05 PM
^^^ This is on a 2016 Moomba Mojo

I am aware.
I'm just curious, and it might help us Mojo owners down the road. You're the first I've seen use those bags.

Choward2003
07-12-2016, 08:37 PM
No problem at all. I was very very mad having to park my new Mojo to hop on my friends G25.

lsupcar
07-12-2016, 11:00 PM
I hear you.
We are all trying to avoid that problem and maximize our boats.
Whatever info you can provide would be great.
Thanks

BrettLee3232
07-14-2016, 06:57 PM
Anyone that wants to hear about my setup for my 2016 Mojo message me. It's not allowing me to post my long reply for some reason

Post 2 different replies...

Choward2003
07-14-2016, 09:47 PM
I am going to do some more fine tuning this weekend as last weekend was the first time out with the new bags. I'm considering using the factory 650 lb bags that were in the rear lockers and purchasing a separate pump and putting one on the port side seat (only plan on filling it half way because it doesn't lay down flat) and possibly putting the other one more towards the bow and taking out the front center seat cushion to try to create a longer wake.

Choward2003
07-14-2016, 09:49 PM
The plumbing didn't change at all. Dealership used the factory hoses. When they ordered the new bags (Fly High Pro X Series Enzo Fat Sac 1450 lbs each from wake makers, I got 2) they had to order different fittings but knew that ahead of time. The larger part of the sacs don't completely fill the rear rear lockers which is alright but they extend under the passenger seats on the port and starboard side so you lose some storage there. Once they are filled you only have about a foot of storage space under both seats but can throw flip flops/ropes in there and still have a little space in the rear lockers.

I am going to do some more fine tuning this weekend as last weekend was the first time out with the new bags. I'm considering using the factory 650 lb bags that were in the rear lockers and purchasing a separate pump and putting one on the port side seat (only plan on filling it half way because it doesn't lay down flat) and possibly putting the other one more towards the bow and taking out the front center seat cushion to try to create a longer wake.

Choward2003
07-14-2016, 09:49 PM
With just me and my wife I can now surf behind it with no rope. I run Port surf tab at 70%, full Port ballast @ 1450 lbs, roughly half Starboard ballast @ 700 lbs, and fill the center/bow @ half way only using the factory hard tank and ballast bag that is under the front bow seats that came in my boat as it's the so called "surf edition."

I run at 9.7 mph with the wakeplate up to 3/4.

jmvotto
07-14-2016, 10:06 PM
Funny , last year I free surfed my buddies mondo,

750 rears, not sure on ibs if any , manual flow, cwb tsunami board , I go about 2 bills and had couple adult beverages in me on a choppy day